Phenix G3/Chinese Earmax Clone
Feb 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #136 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the g3-t7 version is suppose to be less laid back then that of the 6dj8 version

If the g3 is more laid back than the G7 then I'd be afraid to listen to it just in case I slipped into a coma one night.

On a serious note though, the G7 is the most laid back amp I have heard out of head out of my DAC and my bravo audio hybrid.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #137 of 209
I really want the phenix to be my next headphone amp, but im afraid the 3 tube version of the 6dj8 might sound too similiar to my bravo tube amp in which case the purchase might be pointless. the G7 seems like it might just be the must purchase for a more tubey sound then the bravo? but thats not necessarily what im looking for, Ofcourse im going on all this based just off what ive been reading here,

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #138 of 209
What exactly are the differences between the G3 and the G3-T7? Is it just the tubes, or are there other differences?

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #140 of 209
I've just bought one (the "regular" G3). Will write a review when the amp has been delivered...

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #142 of 209
thread seems somewhat dead all the sudden, maybe because of the holiday

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #143 of 209
I have been meaning to do a comparison between the different 12at7 tubes I have for the G7 and maybe compare it to the bravo but but one by one we have been struck by the flu in my house. So when the kids are better and not waking me up through the night coughing and spluttering I will look into it.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #144 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason you picked the G3 over the G3-T7? I'm still unclear on the differences other than the one tube.

It stays unclear for me too. As far as I know it's just the tubes. I've read that the G3 has a bit more detail while the G3-T7 has a full tube sound.

This is my first tube amp. If there are no other differences than the tubes, I think the G3 is a good choice to start with. I can change the tubes later if I want to.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #145 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It stays unclear for me too. As far as I know it's just the tubes. I've read that the G3 has a bit more detail while the G3-T7 has a full tube sound.

This is my first tube amp. If there are no other differences than the tubes, I think the G3 is a good choice to start with. I can change the tubes later if I want to.

The 12at7 tube that the G3-T7 has uses a 12.6 volt heater whereas the 6dj8 uses a 6.3v heater. You can't interchange them or at least I wouldn't ..

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #146 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been meaning to do a comparison between the different 12at7 tubes I have for the G7 and maybe compare it to the bravo but but one by one we have been struck by the flu in my house. So when the kids are better and not waking me up through the night coughing and spluttering I will look into it.

do you have the 6dj8 bravo or 12_7 version? im definately interested in hearing your thoughts between these two amps as i would be on the same upgrade path. but i dont want to buy another amp that sounds exactly the same.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #147 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have the 6dj8 bravo or 12_7 version? im definately interested in hearing your thoughts between these two amps as i would be on the same upgrade path. but i dont want to buy another amp that sounds exactly the same.

I have the 6dj8 version bravo and the g3-t7 phenix, all being well I hope to have a play with them this weekend.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #148 of 209
I have had a listen to the phenix and tried rolling the 12at7 tube to see if there was any difference. Im using amperex bugle boys as the 6dj8s and tried a NOS orange world logo amperex 12at7, a NOS CV4024 brimar and an as new sylvania 12at7 and I couldn't tell the difference between any of the tubes.

I then compared the phenix to my bravo with a balanced sylvania 6dj8. There wasn't much difference to be honest. The bravo had abit more bass impact and slightly more detail whilst the phenix was more mellow sounding but these differences are subtle to my ears.

Perhaps they would sound different if I used a higher impedance can than my RS2is but these are the best I have.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #150 of 209
Bugle Boys are nice tubes. I tricked out my G3 with three of them all matched and biased. Those tubes are very warm and smooth sounding.

My WA3+ also has two Bugle Boys in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back