Phenix G3/Chinese Earmax Clone
Jul 1, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #196 of 209

Quote:
And just to add, the csp-2 has a very low output impedance for an otl amp. So it will probably sound better than most otl amps on the denons, 
and yet you still favor your tc amp(as well you should). So the idea of the g3 having synergy with them does leave you scratching your head. 

It has me a little puzzled too but stranger things have happened with gear so if Sam likes them he likes them. I find the CSP-2 can play them well and when I put them on the Taboo they open up more. Same with the LCD2 the CSP-2 did a fine job but the Taboo was the reason I had the amp made with the headphone jack was for low impedance cans and it works well with them.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #197 of 209
Yeah stranger things have happened. All that matters is he likes the combo. I also heard nothing but good things about the g3 with high impedance cans. But if it does well with low impedance cans, then it's an even greater value. It's also something I may look into myself because of how small it is.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #198 of 209
The midbass is weaker than other solid states.  This synergises well with the D7000s.  It is the same tightness and control as the MD and Cayin.  The transparency may be from zero noise - so very black background and this is good for microdynamics.  Overall tonal balance, more like the Phoenix (tad warmer than phoenix reference...bit less bright) than the Xcan overall.  Upper midrange "soothed" out making the sound "warm".  So perhaps warmer than neutral.  More variation in recordings by far than this amp from neutral.

The best is mid and treble.  D7000s bright treble and rough sibilance made pleasant by "sweetening" - very nice effect.  Less bass energy helps mids come out more. Ditto HF2.  D7000 mids sound very accurate and neutral and many a track.  D7000 can exploit transparency of amplifier more than HF2 which is noticeably a less trasparent headphone overall.  Detail level not far off Phoenix levels, Phoenix is reinforced as tube lovers solid state amp...but this baby is the real McCoy, big tube soundstage and image and timbre.

Overall experience with all tube amps is that the slight loss in pratt is worth the nice gain in mid and treble.  So far with dynamics...all of them has been my conclusion the same.  I think transformer will affect treble in negative way, no matter how slight (graining/smearing).

Except LCD2.  The speed loss is much more noticeable and the euphonic gain (as heard from other ouput transformer amps) not as significant because of already amazing mid and pin sharp treble with no grain. tossup perhaps.  Need more powerful OTL. 

This amp can be made to clip with very loud volumes...but clipping is not harsh.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #199 of 209

Quote:

Sam where did you get it on ebay. I am surprised usually the D7000 work better on non OTL. I can use it on either of my amps like the OTL,Taboo or the SX650 SS Pioneer and it sound best on my Taboo

I bought it here.  I am really enjoying this purchase.  D7000s, PX100, Portapros, earbuds etc sound good from this.  HD650 and K701 OK...have heard bigger soundstages from balanced Phoenix for those.  LCD2s were hollow, smeared and no impact / dynamics, gone are the magic mids.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #200 of 209
I am running the Phenix G3-T7 with 1x NOS Mullard 12AT7 and 2x Russian NOS military 6N23P, driving the low impedance (25 ohm) Sennheiser HD-201.  Source is an entry level, 5+ year-old Sony DVD player.  

This configuration, while certainly not the "be-all and end-all", sounds surprisingly--bordering on shockingly--enjoyable, though.  Last night I stayed up late, finishing up with War's "The World is a Ghetto".  A very balanced, dynamic and thoroughly musical presentation overall.

Unlike Zombie-X reported in his review, I am finding notable differences between various tubes choices.  The Mullard/Russian 6N23P combination has been the most enjoyable so far.  I still have a pair of JAN Sylvania 6DJ8 to try, plus a pair of Amperex 6922, to try as well.

My "reference equipment" is at my work locale apartment (150 miles away from my wife's and my house), and I'm off for the summer, so I've been "without" for the past several weeks.  Can't wait to try the Phenix with a more refined source and better headphones.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #201 of 209

Quote:
I am running the Phenix G3-T7 with 1x NOS Mullard 12AT7 and 2x Russian NOS military 6N23P, driving the low impedance (25 ohm) Sennheiser HD-201.  Source is an entry level, 5+ year-old Sony DVD player.  

This configuration, while certainly not the "be-all and end-all", sounds surprisingly--bordering on shockingly--enjoyable, though.  Last night I stayed up late, finishing up with War's "The World is a Ghetto".  A very balanced, dynamic and thoroughly musical presentation overall.

Unlike Zombie-X reported in his review, I am finding notable differences between various tubes choices.  The Mullard/Russian 6N23P combination has been the most enjoyable so far.  I still have a pair of JAN Sylvania 6DJ8 to try, plus a pair of Amperex 6922, to try as well.

My "reference equipment" is at my work locale apartment (150 miles away from my wife's and my house), and I'm off for the summer, so I've been "without" for the past several weeks.  Can't wait to try the Phenix with a more refined source and better headphones.

Care to sell me a batch of tubes for this amp that you no longer use?  My experience with rolling tubes is exactly zero.

I am using this amp sourced by the Reference 7 dac into the Phoenix pre amplifier from the Phoenix it is connected to this unit - I found this combination to give a better soundstage and improved layering when the pre amp is in the mix.

I have determined that bass control when paired to this combo is very similar to say for example the dacmagic source into the Lehmann black cube amp - an amp that is tight in the bass as any other amp.  Entry level sources I have found that the bass grip are not as tight as higher level sources.

Going back to the Xcan, I get a sense that it has more pratt when it seems the transients are actually not as sharp as this amp...then it dawned on me...the Xcan has better bass control, but it is surpassed everywhere else by this amp, provided this amp is not running out of juice - and with higher sensitivity cans, this is rare, or you are already deaf.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #202 of 209
is the Sense G3 T7 the same thing as the phenix?  i can't find the phenix for sale anywhere on the sense

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #203 of 209
I believe it is the same thing.

Seeing as someone else bumped this inactive thread, I'll post more impressions.  This time I plugged the headphone out sourced by the Reference 7 dac into the Phoenix headamp - effectively testing the "Phenix" as a line driver or preamp.

This thing struggles to output an equivalent 2 volt output into a high impedance source input....it starts to lean out and compress way before a typical 2 volt source.

So I crank up the big boy, and because both err "Ph(o)enixes" are dead quiet and the headamp is endowed with big grunt I can just use a much lower volume on the OTL (no more than 9 o clock before the sound starts deteriorating, 2 v equivalence is at 3 o clock)...I can tell how this OTL behaves when not being impedance mismatched and operating within its power limitations.  Its very transparent - the overall "hybridised" system sound is more detailed and transparent than the Xcan hybrid amp...however I feel I am removing the full benefits of tubes when mishing and mashing in this method, (the Xcan might be quieter, less detailed but more "pure"? - I may be amplifying some low level noise) - good for my K701s for more power - but everything sounds better directly coupled to the tubes.  The LCD2 did not have any advantages being driven this way - power applenty - but its obvious I have an extra component adding a thin layer of "veil" to the preceedings - the overall difference being no more than 5 percent in the bigger scheme of things - but night n day to me.

So there you have it - wonderful sound for sensitive headphones.  Seems to drive the HD650 acceptably well but will run out of power in musical peaks and high volume listening.  Will not drive LCD2 or K701 acceptably for even moderate volumes.  For 160 bucks I got my answer - cheap tube amps have terribly coloured output transformers that tend to smear imaging and transients very noticeable in "air" and ambience retrieval and in treble quality - suspected this when I noticed all my transformer tube amps sounded better with the high z output taps than the low z taps in overall transparency - in that they start to sound more like my Ming DA tube amp with the low z output - that amp has horrid output transformers.  The Cayin headamp has the most transparent output transformers of all my tube amps - which includes my 50 watter KT88 push pull integrated.

Time to investigate simplified circuits - I wonder about the First Watt solid state amps. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #204 of 209
I just got the Sense G3 this Xmas. I bought it the 25th and I got a visit from the mailman on the 27th! I don't think they celebrate Xmas the way we do over there in China. :p
The downside is the seller used DHL, which means I had to pay extra fees and tax. Normally it slips right through but DHL declares by default so as to get an extra fee.

Sense G3
This is the version with 3 6N11 tubes. And as far as I can see identical to the Phenix. It looks and feels very well made. The separate power supply is a bit bulky but works well and keeps the size of the main box small and cute. The on/off switch is situated on the powersupply. Not very convenient because you can't tuck it away somewhere under the desk. But is is sensible in respect to sound quality otherwise you would have to loop an extra 2 high voltage AC wires through the DC power cord. First thing I did was put a power cord with a euro-plug on the powersupply. The powersupply is full of hotmelt and double-sided foamtape, so nothing will resonate.
senseg3headphoneampisos.jpg

So why did I choose this amp and version?
I was looking for a real tube amplifier I could hook up to my modded Muse NOS 4xTDA DAC so I could listen to any difference or improvements in sound. I wanted something not too expensive (there goes the majority of HP-amps), using tubes that are current (so no Little Dot), not too expensive replacing and good for audio. I have come upon a batch of Philips Miniwatt tubes last month that had several ECC8* tubes. The $50 Indeed/Muse is a hybrid transistor that has severe high rolloff so there wasn't much left out there. Then I stumbled upon this (item had no photo) in the Ebay store of a Chinese seller that has some nice pre-modded stuff. This turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. I wouldn't opt for the G3 T7 with the ECC81 in the middle because that's a bit of a wimpy tube.
Even though the inside wasn't exactly what was advertised (Wima MKP 10 turned out to be Ero 1860 polycarbonate which some find to be very good but I didn't). The power switch seems to be a bit oxidized in storage because it wasn't very reliable at first. I needed to flip-flop it a few times to work the first week. Yhe volumepot gives me some static because I modded my NOS DAC so it has no output caps and thus quite some DC on the output.
senseg3headphoneampinsi.jpg

How does it sound?
Actually quite good. A bit muffled and the sense of space could be better. It is dead quiet. Good dynamics, good bass, nice mids and highs. Overall very good but not sensational and grabbing as in real high end. So, on to the soldering iron for some improvements.

What to mod?
Well, that's easy. I am fortunate to have 2 Sprague 0.47µF 200V PiO left. I measured the unit while switching on and it went just over 200V for a few seconds and then dropped again considerably (<150V) and rather quickly. So, no problem with a cold start and margin on the caps (safetymargin is related to time and temperature). I also didn't like the 3-wire ribbon from input to pot (crosstalk). So I replaces that with some seperate silvered OFC/teflon wire. And the oldstyle green LED had to go. And the input RCA's are guilded, but one whiff and the gold is gone. They are also very loose because you see the grooves from machining. Later I notices why they used these because on the inside of the case they are very short. Mine were a bit longer so the wire is pressed against the big elco. I put some shrinkwrap around the wire. I don't especially appreciate the little white plug on the wires but it's easier to disassemble that way. So I just put it in again. The potmeter is an open type Alps (prone to aging and clogging up). But I can't fit in a blue velvet. :frowning2: Maybe I'll replace it later or short it.
So here's the result.
senseg3headphoneampinsi.jpg

And of course I put in my 2 Philips SQ E88CC a bit later so I could hear the difference of the cap-mod first. I left the middle Chinese 6N11, to be replaced later. That one has the least influence on sound. The stock tubes are actually very good. The signal path is volumepot>middle tube 1 side> coupling-cap> outer tube channel 1> channel 2> out.

So, what gives?
Well, this is what it is supposed to sound like. Open, airy, sweet and neutral. The nasties in the treble have gone. It sounds clean and with great ambiance and space.
I have no problems driving my 250Ohm DT880's. It is finally giving it's best performance ever after using it for years on the pc. :beyersmile:
With the Etymotic HF5 it sounds a bit more strained (it's not in the same price-league is it?).
I also tried the MDR-F1 as low impedance HP and I don't have any issues that I notice. I haven't used it in 6 years, the DT880 is much better. Or so I thought, but there is more... At first I thought it sounded a bit oversaturated on some voices but that is not the fault of the headphone or the combination (I checked it on the dac/hp-out of the Monitor02, hence different dac and (op)amp+ diff HP).
All headphones were equalized under Foobar>Musiland monitor 02US>4xTDA NOS>Sense G3.
Actually, now I properly equalized the F1 (it needs a LOT of extra treble >10kHz) it sounds pretty good. It is even better than the DT880 at stagewidth and depth. Wearing comfort is as good as before. I am really enjoying it again. :k701smile:
I have only a few minor mods to go but this sounds very good to me. High end at a bargain price. Just the way I like it.

Conclusion.
I think it is a very competent headphone amplifier for a very modest price. If you know how to mod it right (don't put your hopes on stellar priced NOS tubes) its a regular steal. It gives you real tube sound without all the nasty side effects like hiss, hum, distortion or flabby bass. It's just 3 tubehalves and a condenser away from straight wire. Simplicity is a sign of beauty.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #205 of 209

[size=medium][size=medium]I have traced the actual schematic of my Sense G3. It is the version with the input tube (V1) heaters wired in parallel.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]The PCB is labeled “PHENIX G3-T7 V20”[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]I really love the sweetness and warmth of this amplifier. I am using different tubes (Amperex, RCA, GE, Mullard, Telefunken, Raytheon, Ultron, Phillips, Valvo, Tesla, Siemens…) and most of them give good results (by good result I mean making the music enjoyable and non-fatiguing. No audiophile poetry). Even the original Chinese tubes can not be classified as bad. I am not going to write my personal list of favorite tubes, otherwise the speculative prices on Ebay will go more crazy than they currently are. I believe that it is not worth to pay a lot of extra money for a specific tube, even if there is only one of its specie left in the world. [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]I do not like the heaters of the 3 tubes connected in series. Depending on the tubes used, the voltages are unbalanced above and below 6.3V. The 150 Ohm resistor on the input tube do not helps much. So I am planning to build a new power supply. Perhaps using one LM2595 regulator with switchable voltage for each tube, as in the Cavalli CTH. [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Another issue is that the voltage readings (+1.85 on V1 cathode and +1.58V on V2) are quite different from the expected results at the Morgan Jones/Cavalli schematic. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/cmoy5_prj.htm[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium] http://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/cj/main.php?page=cj#nogo[/size][/size]h[size=medium]tp://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/cj/main.php?page=cj#nogo[/size]

SENSE G3 picture:

Jeep. Thank you for all the information. I have Sprague VitaminQ but they are rated 100V, so I have ordered Russian PIO caps.  I am currently using old Siemens caps instead of the ERO.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #206 of 209
The symmetrical layout of the G3 is more beautiful than the Ultra-Expensive Earmax Silver
atsmile.gif

Earmax Silver picture:

Besides the Alps potentiometer (~ $10)  nothing really special inside there. And there is no much room for upgrading the caps.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #207 of 209
Anyone wanting to experiment with tube amplifiers and are budget limited as well as DIY hopeless should look into this unit.  Not the greatest of all, but should give clear indications of what it is that a tube can do better than solid state...I for one will always hear this in any tube and am in fact addicted to tubes as I am addicted to solid state.

May 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #208 of 209
Quote:
Anyone wanting to experiment with tube amplifiers and are budget limited as well as DIY hopeless should look into this unit.  Not the greatest of all, but should give clear indications of what it is that a tube can do better than solid state...I for one will always hear this in any tube and am in fact addicted to tubes as I am addicted to solid state.

Do you know an alternative DIY circuit using similar tubes? I am in love with the warm tone of this amplifier, but it lacks a little bit of dynamics when compared to the Cavalli CTH. On the other hand, the cavalli CTH is more fatiguing to my ears. So I am planning to build an improved version of the G3/Earmax/CavalliJones/ using a Glassware PS-1 Voltage Regulator http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/ps1kit.html and no compromise with the cost/quality of the components. I am wondering if the dynamics will improve. Also, the extra current at the heater supply will allow to use 6F8G big bottle tubes (with the correspondent 8 to 9 pin adapter).  

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #209 of 209
The analog tube noise (without signal) can be completely eliminated by using an impedance adapter between the amp and the headphones/earphones. 300ohm works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back