Phenix G3/Chinese Earmax Clone
Jan 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #106 of 209
Oh, didn't see that he is "Member of the Trade"... I guess that's enough confidence.

regards.
bearmann

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #107 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, didn't see that he is "Member of the Trade"... I guess that's enough confidence.

regards.
bearmann

yes he is very reliable. also i bought my phenix G3-T7 from him he tested amplifier before sending and very well packaged

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #109 of 209
I wonder how it will fare with my 600Ohm DT880's......

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #110 of 209
i see cn_tube has both versions right now......only question which version, heh, so tough decide, my bravo has a 6dj8 so many the regular one is better so all my tubes interchange since i have two extras lying around

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #111 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see cn_tube has both versions right now......only question which version, heh, so tough decide, my bravo has a 6dj8 so many the regular one is better so all my tubes interchange since i have two extras lying around

From reading this thread someone said that G3-T7 will sound more tubey, I dont know what that means though, thats why i want to try it, to see if i like the sound.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #112 of 209
I think I'm the one that said the T7 is more "tubey." By my definition, that is the level of distortion imparted by the vacuum tube. Distortion is not bad in this case. Tubes amplify the sound in characteristic ways. Words like "warm" are often used to describe it. By my perception it is an increase in midrange intensity and an extension of bass, but different from what you'd get with just an EQ. The more "tubey," the more distortion, and the "warmer" it may sound. Less tubey = more analytical.

After listening for a long while, I've realized there is some static noise on the left channel. It's not significant enough to notice with the ECC88 standard tubes but the PCC's amplify it to audible levels. I'll take it apart in detail when I have the time to determine the source. Just a caution if you do want to try the PCC88 tubes, though I still consider them an upgrade.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #114 of 209
Dont worry if you're in the USA, I got my amp within 4 days of the purchase. Very fast shipping.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #115 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrdin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm the one that said the T7 is more "tubey." By my definition, that is the level of distortion imparted by the vacuum tube. Distortion is not bad in this case. Tubes amplify the sound in characteristic ways. Words like "warm" are often used to describe it. By my perception it is an increase in midrange intensity and an extension of bass, but different from what you'd get with just an EQ. The more "tubey," the more distortion, and the "warmer" it may sound. Less tubey = more analytical.

After listening for a long while, I've realized there is some static noise on the left channel. It's not significant enough to notice with the ECC88 standard tubes but the PCC's amplify it to audible levels. I'll take it apart in detail when I have the time to determine the source. Just a caution if you do want to try the PCC88 tubes, though I still consider them an upgrade.

how does the distortion affect vocals? less clarity? more muddy?

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #116 of 209
I had found a design weekness on G3. it volumn control very easy to broken in shipping,due to it fix on PCB but no Screw nut fix on chassis. May be need to request them packing very carefully or modify it before ship.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #117 of 209
I realize this is better for high impedance cans, but how would these drive k702's for someone on a budget?

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #118 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zafsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize this is better for high impedance cans, but how would these drive k702's for someone on a budget?

K702s require a lot of power to be run properly, despite their lower looking impedance, they're actually a tad harder to amp than the HD600.

But, I haven't heard the Phenix, so I won't comment further.

Looks like a nice unit.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #119 of 209
Yeah, that's what I'm getting. So, I'm not sure if I should take the risk and grab the K702s and this or just wait in general. Working with about $500 total. And I'm in doubt if I want to even spend that much, as I haven't really delved much into the audio realm, but I'm a big believer in doing something right or not at all.

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #120 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zafsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's what I'm getting. So, I'm not sure if I should take the risk and grab the K702s and this or just wait in general. Working with about $500 total. And I'm in doubt if I want to even spend that much, as I haven't really delved much into the audio realm, but I'm a big believer in doing something right or not at all.

FWIR, people say the Heed Canamp is a great match for the K702/1. However, the Canamp is a SS amp instead of a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back