Phase audio problem
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 42
If the in phase example sounds right but the out of phase example sounds wrong, then I don't think your headphones are inverting the phase. If your headphones had a problem with that, it should be the other way around. It is also unlikely your headphones would only work properly with this specific example, if it handles the phase properly in this example, it's always handling the phase properly. Because of that, I think the problem is something else.

Exactly :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #17 of 42
A few more information. I've tried:

- Installling and uninstalling the Realtek audio driver (the motherboard version, the updated version and then the standard version).
- Using the Windows 10 default audio driver.
- Connecting to the front jack on my PC case.
- Testing on Linux (Manjaro).
- Testing on my smartphone, Moto X4.
- Switching the cable plugs (like taking the end of the cable switched and then switched back)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 42
Although I still not fully understand what you are saying, you sometimes find the sound is coming inside your head (with games) but sometimes it's fine?

Sorry I did not saw this sentence, you must have edited the post. Anyway, no, it sounds out of phase all the time but with games is way more noticiable for some reason (I guess because games explores directional sounds, idk. Background music is hard to notice the out of phase thing, immediate right and left sounds looks explicit out of phase), but the website examples tells all the story. The rumble and the guitar examples are very explicit. My headphone sound out of phase like the out of phase rumble and guitar all the time.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #19 of 42
Thanks for answering! Although this look like rocket science to me xD
Anyway, one guy at reddit told me to try to change the cable first: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/mg38zp/shp9500_vs_fidelio_x2hr/
If it's not the problem, I guess it can be the headphone or the motherboard audio that's messed up? Although I tested the headphone on my smartphone and the sound look garbage as well, so I guess its not the motherboard audio, or maybe this headphone needs a good DAC to work properly and both my motherboard and smartphone have a bad one?
Everything is "rocket science" before you get into it. I mentioned the basics of spatial hearing so you can, if interested, to study these things on your own for example googling the terms I used.

Your issue it not a cable quality thing. If anything, it is a cabling issue, but I'm not sure it is even that. Gear being "out-of-phase" is very rare. Typically it only happens with speaker cabling. It is not really an issue with headphones.

It is almost impossible your motherboard AND smartphone have the same problem.

Out-of-phase sound listened with out-of-phase gear give in-phase sound.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #20 of 42
Everything is "rocket science" before you get into it. I mentioned the basics of spatial hearing so you can, if interested, to study these things on your own for example googling the terms I used.

Your issue it not a cable quality thing. If anything, it is a cabling issue, but I'm not sure it is even that. Gear being "out-of-phase" is very rare. Typically it only happens with speaker cabling. It is not really an issue with headphones.

He has said multiple times that the "in phase" example sounds right on the headphones and the "out of phase" sounds wrong, which suggests there is nothing wrong with the headphones / system.

"Everything else" he listens to is the problem - music, games, etc. The OP just doesn't like his gear and is trying to pin the issue on "phase".

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #21 of 42

What's cabling?
About the rare thing, well according to that website that can happen with "cheap brands and wrong batches". So not impossible.
It's weird, if my headphones is in-phase on the website, why it's not in-phase everywhere else? Do you know any other tests for me to try?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 42
Do you know any other tests for me to try?
You could make your own tests using Audacity. It can be downloaded for free. I know it's 2021 but maybe you still keep some music on your computer. Start by dragging some music you trust is well made (i.e. you know it doesn't have any phase issues) into it. There should be a little drop down menu at the side of the track. Open it and click split stereo track, like this:

auda.jpg

You know you did it right if there are 2 separate mute buttons for the left and right tracks, you could use this to check if you managed to split them up properly.
After that you should select only one of the tracks (by dragging your cursor across it), the selected area will be highlighted as white instead of the default greyish colour. Make sure only one of the tracks is highlighted. Then go into Effect>Invert. You can use ctrl+Z to undo the effect. If you use it more than once you undo the splitting as well so be careful. You will have to undo/redo the effect so you can compare if which one sounds normal. You can't change the track during playback so you will have to stop the music for the undo/redo, and then resume the playback. As you are making the comparison, you will also have to keep in mind if you are listening in the original state or the inverted state as the program doesn't tell you this.

Once you get the hang of it, you can make the switch in just a couple of seconds to compare quickly. You could also test with as much music as you want. If the inverted state sounds consistently better, you have a cabling/wiring problem, otherwise you don't and you will have to look for something else to "fix". By that I mean the headphones sound like they should, and you just don't like it.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #24 of 42
Once you get the hang of it, you can make the switch in just a couple of seconds to compare quickly. You could also test with as much music as you want. If the inverted state sounds consistently better, you have a cabling/wiring problem, otherwise you don't and you will have to look for something else to "fix". By that I mean the headphones sound like they should, and you just don't like it.

Looks like a lot of work but I'm willing to test. How do I know if the song don't have phase issues?
Well if everything is working as it should be, I'm worried that all stereo headphones sounds garbage, which it can't be since in-phase looks right.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 42
Dude, this test is so hard, I'm not sure what I prefer or even if I'm doing it right, there's a very minimal difference if any. I could be biased because I know when it's normal and inverted, I need some sort of blind test idk. I made a video to show if I'm doing it right. Bottom line is that they both sounded out of phase :L3000:

By the end of the video I turned on the DTS surround virtualization and BOOM, no more sound inside my head. But that's not the natural sound so, I'm after my headphone natural sound without out of phasing.

PS: Of course you don't need to listen to the song 3x until the end, I just put it there because you know, its a nice song :D

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 42
Dude, this test is so hard, I'm not sure what I prefer or even if I'm doing it right, there's a very minimal difference. I could be biased because I know when it's normal and inverted, I need some sort of blind test idk.
You can test whether you can do the inversion correctly or not, you just have to create two mono tracks that are the same. If you know you have mono tracks you can drag that into Audacity twice and do the inversion on one of them. If you don't know what any of that means just create the tracks using the program.
To do that go to Generate>Tone. For waveform I would recommend sine, with any frequency between 200Hz-2kHz and any amplitude between 0.5 and 1 with 1 minute for time. It will give you 1 track that is selected by default. Deselect it by clicking away from the waveform (so the background behind the waveform changes back to grey from white) then repeat the generation with the same numbers. This should give you two identical mono tracks. If you invert one of them the same way you did before and try to play it back, you shouldn't hear anything because the signals are canceling out each other if you did everything properly.

I didn't want to bring up blind testing because that often creates flame wars on head-fi. First you have to create the inverted file. Once you are sure are on the inverted state, just go to File>Export>Export as WAV (I mean with the music not with the signal you use for checking). Leave everything at default and give it a name like "inverted" so you actually know the file is inverted (so you can check after the blind test). If you happen to have foobar2000 you can download the abx comparator and use that for the test. If you don't plan on using it more than one time it's not worth the trouble imo.

To blind test in audacity, you can now drag the original music and the inverted music into it. To switch quickly between them, hit mute on one of them and leave it at that. Then use the solo button on the same track as a switch. If the solo is on, only the solod track plays back, if it's off only the other one is played back. There should be an obvious visual feedback on which track is currently selected. You don't have to stop for this, you can switch as you are playing the music. Just close your eyes do some quick clicking until you don't know which one is which, then start the comparison, after you made up your mind, just open your yes to see if you were right about which one was playing back. I would recommend 8-10 repetitions at least because you could pick the right one by chance.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 42
I don't think you understand what's going on. My headphones sounds out of phase by default, it sounds like the out of phase examples in the website (inside my soul) by default on music, games or what have you, all the time. But when I do these tests, the in-phase samples are what my headphone is supposed to sound like. So we have a big mistery here.

Assuming you're playing an out of phase track and yet the sound is what an out of phase sound is like then the wiring on the headphones may be out of phase.

If they're still under warranty try to get it replaced. Otherwise you need to take it apart and see if the wires that connect both drivers to the 3.5mm socket connect to the right terminals on both ends.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #29 of 42
I made a video to show if I'm doing it right. Bottom line is that they both sounded out of phase
Eh, You inverted BOTH channels. Inverting both of them at the same time won't change the sound. You should only invert ONE of them. The selection at 5:10 should be done differently, you selected both tracks instead of one, you can see because both of them has the white background. The selection before the invert should look like this:

auda2.jpg

Notice that only the first track is selected, which is indicated by its white background. The other track has a greyish background in contrast. I think you can select only one of the tracks by either double clicking on one of them or by dragging you mouse across from the end to the beginning of the track.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 42
Assuming you're playing an out of phase track and yet the sound is what an out of phase sound is like then the wiring on the headphones may be out of phase.

If they're still under warranty try to get it replaced. Otherwise you need to take it apart and see if the wires that connect both drivers to the 3.5mm socket connect to the right terminals on both ends.

Yeah maybe I'm supposed to do that, but I think it's not going to happen because I imported the headphone, I bought from AliExpress. I have no idea how to send it back to China.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back