Petition to save SACD
May 5, 2006 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Here it is.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/SACD/petition.html

The petition has been online for over a year. As of this past Monday, there were about 660 signatures. However, as of this post, the petition has picked up almost 100 new signatures in the last 5 days
icon10.gif

So show your support.

May 5, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 84
Thanks for the link. I've just joined the petition!

May 6, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 84
My prediction: SACD won't die, but instead will be relegated to a trickle of classical and jazz releases each year. It's as good as dead as far as mainstream pop/rock productions are concerned.

May 6, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
My prediction: SACD won't die, but instead will be relegated to a trickle of classical and jazz releases each year. It's as good as dead as far as mainstream pop/rock productions are concerned.

While you may be right about mainstream rock/pop SACD releases, new SACD releases, in general, are more than "a trickle"....

http://www.sa-cd.net/additions.php

May 6, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 84
I signed the petition although I don't think it will accomplish much.

A more effective way to save SACD is to continue to buy SACDs. The more SACDs that sell the more incentive there is to produce more.

MJ

May 6, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
wait, whats happening with SACD?
confused.gif

There is widespread chatter on boards such as this that SACD is "dying", when in fact the truth is that it has become a classical niche format. SACD never found mass acceptance for a variety of reasons, but its install base is, IMO, sufficient to assure its continued existence. Many new titles come out every month (most of them classical) and new players continue to be made.

DVD-audio on the other hand is basically DOA.

May 6, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mezevenf
Good.

Why would the death of any format be good?

I don't have a vested interest in any of them but I don't see any 'good' coming from losing an option.

May 6, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 84
^^^ Well there are often many formats trying to accomplish similar things. Blu-ray and HD-DVD for example.

In the end who wants to have to purchase two different formats, players etc.

It is often far easier for a consumer to only buy the one format, it saves confusion and can gain mass adoption. Rather than many different formats all catering to seperate niches, none gaining mass support. Which then means you'd have to have all sorts of different format players and then may only be able to buy something on one format. What if it's not compatible with your friends player, video stores need to rent out two or three different formats of the same movie instead of just the one and so on.

I agree that more options are good, but there has to be formats that are accepted and those that only fit a niche or are scrapped altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back