Petition to AKG to add removable cable to the K551 or next version.
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
I love my K550 and now the K551 was announced but still no detachable cable it's a real missed by AKG.  We love the iDevice control, but we want removable cable as well.  Let's tell AKG by posting a comment that we want a removable cable on our beloved headphones.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 42
I agree, you can braid the cables if you want with a chain sinnet knot (aka monkey braid).  But I sometimes need the extra length.  It'd be a lot easier to swap in a shorter cable for those times i don't need the length.  And I know some of you all like to swap in different grade cables, so that'd be another added benefit.  I also agree they are great cans.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 42
Agree, it's much simpler than breaking out the dremel and fitting internal 3.5mm jacks(which may change the sound) or making a short interconnect.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 42
I'm pretty sure AKG could have added a mini-XLR on the K550 if they really wanted to, but it wouldn't go with their model line up (removable cables on non-portable headphones are for "pro" versions). It wouldn't be that bad of an idea, but I doubt AKG would do it. It'd make too much sense. 
tongue_smile.gif
 A locking 4 pin 3.5mm jack would be nice though.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 42
Why would you want a removable one-sided cable? If you change a one-sided cable, won't you have different wire going into each driver, so to speak?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:
Why would you want a removable one-sided cable? If you change a one-sided cable, won't you have different wire going into each driver, so to speak?

Switching between a long, home cable, a 1m portable cable, and a remote cable, I'd assume. Not to improve sound.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 42
I could hardly imagine the K550 for portable use. I assume that is why it's non-detachable. Snap-in cables degrade sound quality.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
I could hardly imagine the K550 for portable use. I assume that is why it's non-detachable. Snap-in cables degrade sound quality.

One could make the argument for transportable use, but yeah, portable use is silly. If they were a third smaller, then maybe, but they're unwieldy to walk around with at its present state. What AKG should actually do is make something sized between the K1XX and K2XX. That I'd dig.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

One could make the argument for transportable use, but yeah, portable use is silly. If they were a third smaller, then maybe, but they're unwieldy to walk around with at its present state. What AKG should actually do is make something sized between the K1XX and K2XX. That I'd dig.

Well, the idea behind of having the detachable cable is in case the cord stops functioning, you can simply replace it. This happened to my K550. I personally prefer having the option to use any cable I want, and if something like that were to happen to my headphones, I could simply buy a new cable, not the whole pair of headphones. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 42
The only real problem that I have with that is that if the jack breaks (however unlikely), it's a bigger pain than recabling them.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 42
come on, AKG 
I know you want to attract newbies by adding a remote control

but serious, k550 is not for portable use,  i don't think newbies would love a pair of 300 gram cans that cannot deliver good bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back