Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
May 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 431

Banned at his own request
I would very much like to have the old site back. It looked more serious, more professional, with thinner lines and a dark overall color shade. Now it seems like a 500%-magnified random Failbook post.
Although I do adapt to new things fairly quickly, I am quite a bit confused by the newer layout. Since when did "new post" become so hard to find? And every time I do a search, I click on "reset". My eyes also hurt when I surf this site during the evening (too white).
I would like the old site back. Or: at least give people the choice (maybe a button that says "use classic layout"). Or theme options, like WordPress.

May 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 431
I support you 100%.
The old forum platform were so much smoother and feature rich.

May 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 431

Quote:
It looked more serious, more professional, with thinner lines and a dark overall color shade. 
Or: at least give people the choice (maybe a button that says "use classic layout"). Or theme options, like WordPress.

+1

May 9, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 431
This new forum could work really well with just a few tweaks... smaller fonts, less empty space and no random review clutter to the right; if I want to read reviews I'll go look for them. I'm sure Jude is first working out the errors and hopefully will address the visuals after. I am finding myself spending less time browsing the forums, which could be a good thing, it is certainly an eye strain in it's current state.

Font wise I vote for Georgia, there is a reason all books share the same sans serif font ~ it's easy to read.

May 9, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 431
I also support the OP on this matter. I am not enjoying this layout one bit.

May 9, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 431
Is there anyway to customise the skins on this new forum layout?

It's terrible.  Just dents enjoying coming here. 

May 9, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 431
I agree the old site was better, the new one is just wasting a lot of space, is confusing, messy and is too bright.

The old site worked well, why fix something that's not broken?

May 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 431
I also agree with the op. The bright background, empty space, and extra clutter with the review tabs on the right side all detract from the forum. Not all the upgrades are a bad idea certainly, it is more an issue of execution. I'll also say that there is a certain beauty in simplicity, which the old BBCode forum did well.

May 9, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 431

Quote:
I agree the old site was better, the new one is just wasting a lot of space, is confusing, messy and is too bright.

The old site worked well, why fix something that's not broken?

x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 " "

And also I use a black background with red text to make it easier on the eyes...It doesn't work so well with this new headfi..........) :

May 9, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 431
+1 here..

I unfortunately find myself using Head-Fi much less because the new layout is very confusing to me, and I would rather not spend time trying to find the right forums, and look for my subscribed threads.. I think even new members that signed up after the switch would be confused as well. :frowning2:

May 9, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 431

Quote:
+1 here..

I unfortunately find myself using Head-Fi much less because the new layout is very confusing to me, and I would rather not spend time trying to find the right forums, and look for my subscribed threads.. I think even new members that signed up after the switch would be confused as well. :frowning2:

yep..me too, the worst thing is the thread list..its impossible to read through it. The user control panel is just abysmal. Multiquoting and quoting in general is hit and miss (I hate that you have to multiquote posts, then click on single quotes to make all them multiquotes appear, not 'reply'). The whole forum looks like a tack on to the reviews and wiki and stuff - as described in the whitespace thread, amazon with a forum attached. It doesn't seem fun any more, I used to browse through threads just to see whats going on in the headphone world but now...I try to use it as little as possible :frowning2: sorry. <-- Oh and that no text alternative for smilies, you want a smiley, you have to click the button up there ^^, which is silly - I learnt all the vbulletin codes :frowning2:

May 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 431
Well, a few days of 'getting used to the new layout' hasn't helped at all.

What I like:

The 'Recent Activity' on the front page. Um... that's all.

What I don't like:

1. The brightness, the white space, and the fact it looks more like a 'store' now.

2. All the personal individual touches have gone.No friends list so you can't see which of them is online at a glance anymore. No option to personalise your signature anymore.

3. No 'ignore' list? I lost count of the times mods told people (me included) to put people on their ignore list if they couldn't get along with them - and now that feature is gone?

4. It's not as user-friendly as before. Navigating the site takes more steps, it's harder to find what you're looking for, and well, hell, I hate it now!!

Yes, I know change is never very welcome. But when change is for the good, it's a lot easier to accept. In this case I think the change has got rid of many useful features that made the site feel unique and friendly, so I don't think the change was positive.

It would have been much better (in my humble opinion...) if the features that made it feel more of a community had been carried over with the new layout. So much has been taken away, and so little (of use) has been added.

Maybe I'll get used to it after a week or so, but that doesn't mean I'll ever like it
triportsad.gif

May 9, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 431
Hmm... guess I am an exception.  I actually really like the new format.  I find it to be clean and very professional looking.  I have had no problems adjusting to the new layout.  In fact, I don't find the overall layout all that different.  The groupings are the same.  It will be interesting to see how many chime in here.  I have no idea if I am in the minority.

May 9, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 431
I love the new layout. Sure it has a few minor issues but it's far superior in so many ways I'm willing to let them go. 

It just needs a bit of tweaking. Don't be so quick to condemn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back