Petition for a "Video Games Lounge" subforum. - IT'S LIVE
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #241 of 352

Quote:
The Red Alert series is another favorite. The main C&C series never wowed me. 

You should try the DoW sequel. Dawn of War II is absolutely amazing. Story mode is great, and if you like it enough there's 2 great expansions as well. You've got Last Stand mode and the standard multiplayer. There's just a ton of content packed in there.

x2

DOW is amazing, it's a unique game for me coming from every RTS that I played...tried every Red Alert games even with Mods and still got bored. Now that I don't play RTS, FPS is my new thing but I missed them a lot: Red Alert Series/C&C Series, Dawn Of War, Star Craft, World in Conflict, Battle Realms, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander...etc.

Since I tried Counterstrike, even joining competition, I rarely play RTS games nowadays. Maybe Crysis was one of the games that converted me.

Count me as weird but I liked MW3, ever since I achieved high kill rate even playing in solo multiplayer without party. BOPS is now too boring for me. Never tried the new BF series, maybe sooner.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #242 of 352
If you're not into the SPACE MARINE setting of DOW, give COH a shot, Progger. Basically a World War II setting with the same gameplay. Both are fantastic series.

Quote:
x2

DOW is amazing, it's a unique game for me coming from every RTS that I played...tried every Red Alert games even with Mods and still got bored. Now that I don't play RTS, FPS is my new thing but I missed them a lot: Red Alert Series/C&C Series, Dawn Of War, Star Craft, World in Conflict, Battle Realms, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander...etc.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #243 of 352
I'm a JRPG man first, action gamer second, shooter third.

JRPGs are slim picking nowadays though, since no companies other than Atlus and NIS really publish JRPGs anymore. Square-Enix is a shadow of it's former self, and Namco refuses to release most Tales games outside of japan, which is just idiotic.

That being said, I await for the near release of:

Tales of Graces F
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk. II (hopefully a LOT better than the first)

and probably gonna pick up

Atelier Totori

at some point...

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #244 of 352

Quote:
JRPGs are slim picking nowadays though, since no companies other than Atlus and NIS really publish JRPGs anymore. Square-Enix is a shadow of it's former self, and Namco refuses to release most Tales games outside of japan, which is just idiotic.
Tales of Graces F
Atelier Totori
at some point...

JRPG fan checking in as well.  Looking forward to checking out Tales of Abyss for the 3DS.  Tales of Symphonia(Gamecube) was one of my personal favorite games of all time.  It's really too bad Namco only released a few Tales games states side.  I would've loved to check out some of the original DS Tales of games as well.*sigh*  Oh well.  M.L.E. what are some of your favorite RPGs?

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #245 of 352
My faves?

Games:

Suikoden II
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean 2
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile
Tales of Vesperia
Kingdom Hearts II
Super Mario RPG
The GBA Fire Emblems

Series:

Final Fantasy
Suikoden
Tales of
Star Ocean
Valkyrie Profile
Fire Emblem
Breath of Fire
Kingdom Hearts
Front Mission

Too many JRPGs to remember...

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #246 of 352
Whoops I forgot that but still BF3 beat was a mess so is BF BC2

Quote:
You're not confusing the real Battlefield 2 (PC only) with Battlefield: Bad Company 2, are you? BF2 doesn't let you blow up buildings the way BF:BC2 does, and I'd compare the latter's destruction to Mercenaries for sure.

For that matter, I still think BF2 is a far better game. More balanced due to the stock kits not totally sucking (well, except for the Support class LMG, but he does have ammo packs that everyone else can use) and no overemphasis on unlocks like Battlefield 2142 onward. Damn shame, too, since BF2142 could have been really good if they didn't make you unlock everything.

On the flip side, Battlefield 1942 did have the best vehicular combat, probably because of the slower pace and less-advanced tech on WWII-era vehicles. I just wish that could be combined with Battlefield 2's infantry combat, and no, Battlefield 1943 is NOT the answer, not by a long shot.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #247 of 352
@ M.L.E.

I wish more Mario RPG games were more like the original.  That one had some memorable characters and Bowser was a good guy for once!

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #248 of 352
OK Im going to get the DoW 2 and try it out, thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
My faves?

Chrono Trigger

oh god the nostalgia 
frown.gif

SNES had some awesome RPGs (for my age back then)
Secret of Mana
Robotreck
Fire of Breath 1 and 2
the Legend of Zelda's of course....

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #250 of 352

Quote:
Tales of Graces F
Atelier Totori
at some point...

NEPTUNIA HYPERDIMENSION! Try it, love it!

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #251 of 352
I used to be a lot more into RPGs but most of the more recent releases have been lackluster. Disgaea is and always will be my favorite series though.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #252 of 352

Quote:
I used to be a lot more into RPGs but most of the more recent releases have been lackluster. Disgaea is and always will be my favorite series though.

My absolute favorite RPG(which happens to be my favorite game of all) is Final Fantasy X.  Maybe we'll see more traditional RPGs one the new portable systems.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #253 of 352
Soo MLE you're a hard-core RPG gamer. That's why you value your D7000 so much as it adds more excitement to these titles.
wink_face.gif

The only RPG that I tried in your list is the Final Fantay Series. Also I played MMORPG last time - very addictive.

Quote:
My faves?
Games:
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean 2
Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile
Tales of Vesperia
Kingdom Hearts II
Super Mario RPG
The GBA Fire Emblems
Series:
Final Fantasy
Suikoden
Tales of
Star Ocean
Valkyrie Profile
Fire Emblem
Breath of Fire
Kingdom Hearts
Front Mission
Too many JRPGs to remember...

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #254 of 352
I was looking forward to BF3 till the whole mess EA pulled with Origin, I suppose the consolation is my GTX 260's wouldn't have handled it well on decent settings.  I had some fun with BC2 but the last Battlefield I really got into was 1942 and Desert Combat, many many hours went to those two.  

Quote:
Whoops I forgot that but still BF3 beat was a mess so is BF BC2

On another note, got into the Diablo III beta recently and I can't stop playing it, definitely going to be a day 1 buy.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #255 of 352
In the midst of all this JRPG talk, I should probably mention that Newegg's got a 48-hour (expires March 1 at 11:59pm PST) promo code for Tales of Graces f pre-orders right now, $48 with free shipping.

EMCYTZT1244

I probably won't be pre-ordering it myself (no PS3, after all), but I'm sure nobody here would complain about saving a bit of money if they had to have it day one, and I can't blame them if Namco keeps making low print runs. *points to Tales of the Abyss 3DS*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back