PETEREK (formerly cCasperTFG) MOD & Cable Thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #286 of 551
  Peterek just did a detachable cable mod on my Denon D5000 w/ Lawton mods (I'm not the original HP owner so I'm not certain about the history). It came out great, sounds great, I'm super happy with the results and he provided me some great pix I wanted to share.

I'm really pleased with the results. I think they look and sound fantastic. The man does great work! I also had a mini-XLR to 3.5mm adapter made...

Some people I know were hassling me about "Couldn't you just do this yourself? Why pay anyone to do that?" I would have had to buy more tools and parts. I also don't get any practice so who knows how good/bad the results would be? I think such nice headphones deserve better treatment than me accidentally breaking them. IMO the mod is a little bit unnecessary/luxury to get the replaceable cable. However I wasn't entirely thrilled with the cable that was attached when I first got the headphones (the cable has a lot of microphonics noise as it brushes into things, it's rather thick and unweildy, and it also had a short in the plug which made them unusable in the beginning). For me at least it's a useful upgrade and I look forward to having better cable options in the near future!

Edit: I love these headphones!

Honestly Lawton modded Denons / Fostex headphones are some of my absolute favorites, both because of their modding potential and their awesome house sound. I so regret selling my fully modded pair of TH600's. I'll do another pair someday, or at least that is what I tell myself. But anyways, great pics and thanks for sharing!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #288 of 551
Having Brandon recable a pair of Westone UM1s for me, the original cable started splitting just above the strain relief on TRS plug.
And as stated he's building balanced cable for me.

oh and Congrats to Brandon on addition to family!!!
(this might be why y'all aren't hearing from him immediately).

This is the first cable Brandon made for me Double Helix custom 6 strand with Eidolic MMCX and splitter.
Looks fantastic and sounds even better

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #289 of 551
  Having Brandon recable a pair of Westone UM1s for me, the original cable started splitting just above the strain relief on TRS plug.
And as stated he's building balanced cable for me.

oh and Congrats to Brandon on addition to family!!!
(this might be why y'all aren't hearing from him immediately).

This is the first cable Brandon made for me Double Helix custom 6 strand with Eidolic MMCX and splitter.
Looks fantastic and sounds even better

eek.gif

I need to give in and just get one of these for my H3.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #290 of 551
I'm selling my white TH-600 cups that Peterek painted if anyone of you Fostex owners are interested.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #291 of 551
  I'm selling my white TH-600 cups that Peterek painted if anyone of you Fostex owners are interested.

So then what cups are taking their place?

- InsanityOne 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #293 of 551

Weird question, but could you take a picture of the inside if you have a removable cable? I'd like to see what Peterek does for those jacks.

It's a small groove. The TH-600 cups are made of metal, so the notch is actually more square than on the wood sets I do. PM me.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #294 of 551
So then what cups are taking their place?

- InsanityOne :tongue_smile:

Rosewood baby! I'll share a picture when I get a chance. For now someone please buy my white cups! It will help fund another PETEREK cable haha.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #296 of 551
  This one's for you @InsanityOne! They're E-MU rosewood cups. Sorry for the low pic quality, using my cheap phone.

WF-6hvACna_7H97ZJQhdsc1MDGWgJ7cgMh_flYXn3iNw0TnGV1bpQQteEHM-TaOrYyosKcQbiSo-ckLQpQYIVGMkB1NhP_6NI4MGJY_5PD40ty7UoVIqHhUlU-5wu2QciVoRpjfiBiZbRuTCTMpLnoatcR6sGH2z_MUXCq4EpwyHGY4IdEp85rv-equjR-joUcPVoqDQP7RouHqbs5LP8WRsu_DOLlh04lmhAucka5KQdYXNLu3S-n_t0hK1TbpwFhpaOvuqZYgb3Ka47rr60SUnYjAX-AetZP-uwZFMLwrcf1IV1K1y21kDLAM6Tuu7fkkdtv5yb-Jf3X9B77Ugg85mTM2vbvuQL5UG2BK6nLmPlsa3Mi0UyT1hCXYXW8IspBUqKJsVVJVZvLO5NqY0Gx-VjfO-lBMF1SPMFElj-DhMGk605RanEvE_xan-2Qq36S9YLU3mATsZCJzuFNP4T03uWDL0VDbNhqb7OlzvnsbUDj0vpY4EwDAJe7zi8ov5ahlzQLjlRrNiZk0MLcdsCi9JmYT90I6CHLi5lUC78K3N28U3dnRKH1Vc9fdgpyl55SvfYJQeW8eGJKwF94-RmEJ7FavuwyshUoIEFdFT_5JADYCpCSGQADXTXyi_k-mzbvwBcFMYlZoODjAQ9PIIu1h7P3alb9T3gIiKPnY9tUMqu8o3iQj_X0zOhAFct8ce5ofV6eMKHP2S=w1366-h613-l75-ft

The E-MU cups have the same mounting design as the standard Fostex TH-XXX series headphones do? I guess that makes sense though seeing as EMU uses the same OEM frames that Denon used for their AH-DXXXX series which is the same OEM that Fostex now uses for their TH-XXX series. Cool idea! I like it!

(The image link is broken by the way, so it doesn't display at all though.)

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #297 of 551

The E-MU cups have the same mounting design as the standard Fostex TH-XXX series headphones do? I guess that makes sense though seeing as EMU uses the same OEM frames that Denon used for their AH-DXXXX series which is the same OEM that Fostex now uses for their TH-XXX series. Cool idea! I like it!

(The image link is broken by the way, so it doesn't display at all though.)

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Just noticed haha. Fixed 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #299 of 551
  I'll be sharing a pic of a re cabled (balanced) Sony Ma-900 in the future
Very stoked.
I love that set.
Did I mention stoked?
biggrin.gif

The headphone models of Sony's glory days always make me drool. I'm sure they will look awesome (and sound awesome) balanced!

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back