pet peeve ~ calling cds "software"
Aug 18, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

record (n.) Look up record at Dictionary.com
c.1300, "testimony committed to writing," from O.Fr. record, from recorder "to record" (see record (v.)). Meaning "written account of some event" is from 1611. Meaning "disk on which sounds or images have been recorded" is first attested 1878. That of "best achievement in sports, etc." is from 1883. Phrase on the record is from 1900; adv. phrase off the record "confidentially" is attested from 1933.

Given that the etymology of 'record' is "disk on which sounds or images have been recorded", I can't see why calling a CD a record is incorrect or should be a peeve.

These days, the vast majority of music is sold on CD. This would mean that if someone did buy the new britney album, it was most likely a CD. If someone did buy the new britney album on vinyl, they would probably say so.

Besides, us old farts just naturally use terminology that we have used for years. I still frequently call radio 'wireless' because it was still a common term when I was a kid.

my 2 cents

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 24
A cd is clearly hardware, because you can hold it!

yes, I am being sarcastic
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pet peeve ~ calling cds "software"
how i can't stand this... it's not a program, it's music! (we should hope)

Well, I've heard the term used, but I don't mind: If people refer to their audio equipment as hardware and to the audio media correspondingly as software, I can live with that.

And maybe you should be a little more precise yourself and call those thingies Audio-CDs or CD-DAs, if you mean these - otherwise it could be software or data cds just as well...
wink.gif
Or you simply elevate your mind to the next level of tolerance and try to perceive your pet peeve as silly and narrow-minded, which I'd claim it to be...
tongue.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #24 of 24
Probably the simplest definition I have heard for software is
Written instructions for a computer
So, using the typical definition if the SACD is a written instruction for a computer, then it's software.

But let's face it, people adapt existing terms for their own purposes all the time. They may not be accurate, but they do mean something in their own world. Humans work on shared meaning of words. Check the audio glossary in my signature. Most of those terms have been stolen from the real world, and would mean very little to those outside the audio realm. Wooly, Timbre, Puffy etc. Try explaining your rig to someone not into audio using terms in the glossary and watch their reactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back