pet peeve ~ calling cds "software"
Aug 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 24
Never heard that.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 24
What's wrong with this?
Calling a cd a piece of software is perfectly fine.

Software can mean programs you run on computers, or just things that you use with hardware that isn't hardware.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with this?
Calling a cd a piece of software is perfectly fine.

Software can mean programs you run on computers, or just things that you use with hardware that isn't hardware.

Software is a set of instructions that a processor (or other software) of some sort can execute. It tells the hardware what to do. A CD is purely data and definitely doesn't fit in the definition of software.

That said, I've never heard a CD described as such.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

What's wrong with this?

It's not software. It's data.

Quote:

soft·ware (sôft'wâr', sŏft'-) n. Computer Science.

The programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 24
soft·ware /ˈsɔftˌwɛər, ˈsɒft-/ [sawft-wair, soft-]
–noun
1.Computers. the programs used to direct the operation of a computer, as well as documentation giving instructions on how to use them. Compare hardware (def. 5).
2.anything that is not hardware but is used with hardware, esp. audiovisual materials, as film, tapes, records, etc.: a studio fully equipped but lacking software.
3.Television Slang. prepackaged materials, as movies or reruns, used to fill out the major part of a station's program schedule.

Dictionary.com words it a little better than I do, but #2 is what I'm talking about.
Although not the most reliable source, Wikipedia also has this to add: "The term "software" is sometimes used in a broader context to describe any electronic media content which embodies expressions of ideas such as film, tapes, records, etc."

Maybe the most prominent meaning of the word is #1, but to me #2 is widespread enough to be acceptable in the everyday world.
Kinda like the "lose vs loose" thing, although "loose" used in the context as "lose" is plain wrong and makes a sentence incomprehensible, it's so widespread that I've seen it in professional environments like company websites or magazines.

With that said, it's one of my pet peeves.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Kinda like the "lose vs loose" thing, although "loose" used in the context as "lose" is plain wrong and makes a sentence incomprehensible, it's so widespread that I've seen it in professional environments like company websites or magazines.

I'm sorry to be off-topic, but what? Lose is a verb with an entirely different meaning than loose. What do you mean, loose being used in the context as lose? Can you give an example?

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to be off-topic, but what? Lose is a verb with an entirely different meaning than loose. What do you mean, loose being used in the context as lose? Can you give an example?

He means that illiterate people (probably not many of them in the Netherlands!) use loose where they mean lose. For example, http://www.google.com/search?q=%22loose+points%22

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CD is media and the music is data.

I can't say that I have ever heard it called software.

Same here. Can't say I heard it called software either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back