Personality, age, and music genres
Nov 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #61 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
Personality: If you subscribe to those personality thingies, I'm an INTJ, PL/RI, high D, high (something else).... In layman terms, I'm possibly just another ambitious undergraduate-types you'll encounter just about everywhere.

I'm an INTJ also. What do you mean by "high D"?

I was told by the assessor I was highly driven (hence the D) and not very risk-averse (forgot what acronym was this supposed to be, I think it was "I"). Kinda also forgot what was the name/type of that assessment itself already. SIlly me...

Anyhow, in a nutshell, that test was supposed to classify me as leadership material and I'm supposedly willing to take big risks in order to achieve high gains; as well as being able to provide/set/give clear, accurate and decisive directions autonomously without much input from higher command. Supposedly stuff that are highly sought after by most insurance, finance and military organisations, I guess.

Quote:
Quote:
So many INTJs here...LOL.

This insane hobby probably precipitates it. Or maybe visa versa.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #62 of 74
Another INTJ here. Seems like the personality type is attracted to strange things like audiophilia. 

25 yrs old:

I've been a classical guy since around the 7th grade. Over the years I've dabbled in just about everything from hip-hop to techno- but classical is what I always end up coming back to. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #63 of 74
ISTP here. 

I like progressive METUL, but I'm open to a lot of genres.

I've already posted in this thread, but I took the personality test again and got a different result.

Currently digging Ziltoid the Omniscient. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #64 of 74
I've gone the other way: when I was young I used to be almost completely classical, with the odd bit of pop. Now I listen to more electronica, metal, etc.

Napster / to Go, Spotify, etc have been godsends especially in the last half-decade for music discovery, and especially in terms of Spotify. Looking forward to finally using Zune on this side of the pond as well.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #65 of 74

LFF said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still ponder about this from time to time. I started getting into music around 14 years old. The music I listened to back then was classical, swing and some pop. Today, being almost 30, I listen to much of the same stuff I did before. My tastes have expanded to include a variety of music. My wife will freak out sometimes when I put on some 50cent or MGMT or some other modern day hit (Lady Gaga, etc) as she thinks I am an old man in a young body. I think it just might be a part of my open-minded personality or it could be that good music, in any genre, is timeless and knows no bounds.

Now I got it, Nice writing, Thanks for your explanation!

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #66 of 74
no bangra? man!

Quote:
I've gone the other way: when I was young I used to be almost completely classical, with the odd bit of pop. Now I listen to more electronica, metal, etc.

Napster / to Go, Spotify, etc have been godsends especially in the last half-decade for music discovery, and especially in terms of Spotify. Looking forward to finally using Zune on this side of the pond as well.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #67 of 74
Im 18, lazy type of guy. Here are the artists i like listening to alot, in no particular order :-

Mahler, Opeth, Depeche Mode, ABBA, Oasis, Madonna, The Cranberries, Bonnie Tyler, Air Supply, Norah Jones, John Denver, ACDC, Bryan Adams, Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Dokken, Eagles, Dream Theater, George Harrison, King Crimsion, Led Zeppelin, Marty Friedman, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Queen, Scorpions, X Japan, Rainbow, Nightwish

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #68 of 74
I'm 15 and I listen almost exclusively to classical and a little bit of jazz. My favorite composers would have to be Copland, Gershwin, Bach, and Vivaldi. I'm outgoing, analytical, and a nut. I'm only using statements. I shall NOT use exclamations!........crud....... 
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #69 of 74
Hey, I am 20.

Started listening to music around 13. At the time was mostly interested in Blink 182, Ramones, Nirvana, etc. I then began to listen to Pennywise, Rancid, Sham 69, Lower Class Brats, etc.
Once I got to college I started listening a lot more to Cold War Kids, Arctic Monkeys type music
And after meeting my still girlfriend about 3 years ago I am in love with really cheesy oldschool Happy Hardcore(as well as with the music I listed earlier)

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #70 of 74
There are only so many lightbulbs you can screw in in pairs.

Quote:
no bangra? man!

Quote:

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #71 of 74
I think part of what you like is based on what you grew up with and what your parents played.  You naturally hear the music all the time, and seek things similar.  Its not a big surprise I branched out into the easy listening, and orchestral genres since that's mostly what I was familiar with, and I continue to like this type of music to this day.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #72 of 74
I started paying attention to music when I was around 12, mostly what my parents liked with a little R&R. At 15 I started working in a record shop and that was eye-opening to say the least. That's where I found/learned about Jazz, folks, spirituals, blues and of course Rock & Roll in a very big way. I still listen to all of it with a little classical throw in.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #73 of 74
I listen to all kinds of genres, from disco to jazz, from funk to classical. the only genres I'm just not into are Hip Hop and Latin Music (hate it and I am from Latin America
eek.gif
).

But  at my core I will always be a metalhead. I tend to listen to the most aggressive and technical stuff out there. I'm almost forty and it amazes me that I like stuff that a lot younger listeners I know find it to be too aggressive and heavy...I mean c'mon ITS SUPPOSSED TO BE HEAVY AS ****
biggrin.gif
. The older I get the crazier my tastes.

PS Frank Zappa is king and John Zorn is almost there...
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #74 of 74

Quote:
I think part of what you like is based on what you grew up with and what your parents played.  You naturally hear the music all the time, and seek things similar.  Its not a big surprise I branched out into the easy listening, and orchestral genres since that's mostly what I was familiar with, and I continue to like this type of music to this day.

There are personality types like this, but I assure you I grew up hating jazz because of my parents. I can think of several other records that were so overplayed by my parents at a young age (I can't stand anything by Pink Floyd because of my parents. except Animals, which is awesome)

As soon as I really got into music, my parents criticized me for my music choices (and would turn the speakers up over my music.) I got iems, and all was well. Now I'm into open headphones, and I don't care if my parents don't like my music, I turn it up anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back