Persian classical recommendations please
Oct 6, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #16 of 24
Makes sense…Panjabi MC is about the biggest thing there is in bhangra. Jay-Z rapped over one of his tracks some years ago. Glad I could help in some small way.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 24
I think the only Persian album I own is a Kalhor and Moradi (In the Mirror of the Sky). Anyone know how close that actually is to Persian classical?
Unless one counts Azam Ali... but I don't think much of any of her stuff is close to Persian classical, is it?

There are similarities between Persian and Hindustani classical (or so I've heard) and there are many more musicians, recordings and so on in that genre so, if you're not already familiar with that, it might be an opportunity to delve into it. I assume there's also a similar afghani tradition... certain instruments are certain are certainly found in the various countries formerly ruled by Persian dynasties.

As to Internet radio, Kutay Derin Kugay sometimes plays this stuff (the quality of these downloads are dreadful however):
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?show=36

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm really interested in middle east music, is it instrumentals? (using oud as the main instrument) if it is, could you please let me know some of the artist name since i'm having trouble myself finding any references to this kind of music.

Oud is a common enough instrument in the Mid-East... what's giving you trouble?
Ever heard of Nasseer Shamma? Rabih Abu-Khalil?

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 24
Many ways you can go with oud. Anouar Brahem (I think he's Tunisian) does dreamy, interesting stuff that teams him with accordion. Rahim al-Haj (Iraqi) applies a slippery sense of timing to his own compositions and improvisations on ancient melodic scales called maqams; there's a recent Smithsonian/Folkways record, When The Soul Is Settled, that teams him with an amazing percussionist. Of course, there's also the straight-up master Munir Bachir, whom al-Haj studied with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the only Persian album I own is a Kalhor and Moradi (In the Mirror of the Sky). Anyone know how close that actually is to Persian classical?

Don't hold me to this, but with Kalhor I'd be inclined to say "not very," because his thing seems to be more about jamming with musicians from other cultures (Moradi is Kurdish; one of Kalhor's partners in the trio Ghazal is Indian). He's a lot like a jazz musician, so hardcore Persian or not he's often interesting to listen to.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's also the straight-up master Munir Bachir, whom al-Haj studied with.

... and Shamma as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of Kalhor's partners in the trio Ghazal

Wow. Shujaat Khan. I've got to check that! They are both indian by the way.

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 24
wow, thanks for the suggestion, my list so far consist of these artist:

- Eduardo Nabiele and Adel Salameh
- Ersin Ersavas
- Fawzy Al-Aiedy
- Hamza Al-Din
- Munir Omar Bashir (this is what you mention right Tru Blu?)

since i dont have any reference before it's like walking in the dark, just wild guess, now i have a direction to go
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, thanks for the suggestion, my list so far consist of these artist:

- Eduardo Nabiele and Adel Salameh
- Ersin Ersavas
- Fawzy Al-Aiedy
- Hamza Al-Din
- Munir Omar Bashir (this is what you mention right Tru Blu?)

since i dont have any reference before it's like walking in the dark, just wild guess, now i have a direction to go
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, Hamza El-Din is Egyptian and Adel Salameh is from Palestinia...

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 24
Not exactly Persian but Uzbek. This artist toured with P Gabriel a few years ago. Very good vocals and beautiful music with native instruments. This is not the best cut but we are limited on utube. I am familiar with the Yol Bolsin (cd).

Yor Yor, Sevara Nazarkhan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuV5s...elated&search=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back