Persian classical recommendations please
Oct 5, 2007 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

boomana

Headphoneus Supremus
About two months ago I starting listening to Persian classical on internet radio, and even though the sound quality is gawd awful, so much of the music just floored me with its beauty, I started writing down the names of works and artists and have picked up a few cds. That's fun, but I'm now looking to see if anyone can point me in a direction or, rather, a place to start with learning about and listening to more. Any help will be welcome.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 24
sorry i could not help you, but i'm really interested in middle east music, is it instrumentals? (using oud as the main instrument) if it is, could you please let me know some of the artist name since i'm having trouble myself finding any references to this kind of music.

thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 24
My guess is that you've already discovered Kayhan Kalhor and Mohammed Reza Shajarian individually and as key members of the group Masters Of Persian Music? Do they play female singers like Parvin Javdan on Internet radio? Just curious...

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've made me very curious. What internet radio station should I tune in?

IranianRadio.com. I suppose I should have said "traditional" rather than "classical" for accuracy.

Thanks for the leads so far, guys. I'm a total newbie, which is exciting, as I keep bumping into music that just floors me, thinking, "Why isn't everyone listening it this right now? It's amazing!" It's like a treasure hunt.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 24
maybe you guys can help me out. I heard a tune about 2 years ago and have heard once before on a TV show. It is an amazing song. Very clubby (in the western sense). I think it went down well in the west. It was a male singer, and the artist / group used hand beaten drums as well. I appreciate that this is a grim description, but if you have any idea of what i am on about please let me know.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by canbus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you guys can help me out. I heard a tune about 2 years ago and have heard once before on a TV show. It is an amazing song. Very clubby (in the western sense). I think it went down well in the west. It was a male singer, and the artist / group used hand beaten drums as well. I appreciate that this is a grim description, but if you have any idea of what i am on about please let me know.

I think ya gotta give us a little more than that.
confused.gif
Do you even remember what tv show?

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by canbus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand that you may feel a bit in over your head describing it, but you've gotta try a little harder than this. That's like saying, "I heard this amazing song with a male singer—and he's playing guitar. You might've heard it on the radio." Do you at the very least remember the TV show? Where were you when you heard it? That info might help—a little.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 24
hi guys and thanks. There was a sitar involved and it was quite a fast aggressive track. I think it was a film i heard it on, but I cant remeber the name of the film. I do remember reading the credits at the end to try and get the name of the artist. I heard it on Radio 1 ( i think) some time back. Its one of those songs i will find in the end.

Thats about the best description i can give im afraid. It was quite a pumped up track. It really got my juices going. The DJ reckoned it was the business as well. Since then i have not heard it again. Which is a shame as it was a belter of a track.

My thanks again.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 24
Hmmm…well, sitar connotes Indian music rather than Persian, and the fact that it has a "clubby" element and hand-percussion suggests that it might be from the style called bhangra. That's probably the best anyone can do with so little info. Hope it eventually resurfaces.

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 24
canbus, do you think you might mean From Rusholme With Love by Mint Royale? Opens with sitar, then transitions into a dance/techno beat kind of thing.

IIRC I think it appeard on Alias once. (Since Alias' bad guys regularly held office hours in loud, trendy nightclubs, practically anything that got club play during that period might have been on Alias at some point.)

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 24
Thank you so so much.

The track was 'Good morning' by punjabi mc. I also downloaded 'From rushholme with love' by mint royale and a kayhan kahlor and ali akbar moradi track. Amazing.

Again many thanks.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 24
I typed in bhangra in itunes store then checked the most popular music there. It took a few minutes. Which is great as i have spent ages searching the net and youtube for this track.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back