Perreaux SXH-1: I have had PROBLEMS or I have had NO PROBLEMS
Mar 6, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by xaipemw
Ergggg.... is it just me, or is over 30% failure rate a little high for a product? I mean, sheesh, look at the poll here, folks. That's a tad bit discouraging if you ask me. And hell, I OWN one of them!
frown.gif

Yes I think is pretty high too. Maybe not all head-fi Perreaux owners have voted though. In any case, I actually requested a return with refund, not with a replacement unit.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Ergggg.... is it just me, or is over 30% failure rate a little high for a product? I mean, sheesh, look at the poll here, folks. That's a tad bit discouraging if you ask me. And hell, I OWN one of them!
frown.gif

I actually am not too disappointed about what I have read about the 0.5 version. Most of its reported problems are mainly due to the crappy cheap RCA jacks that are used. From the internal pictures that I see on the Perreaux website, I think it might be possible to unsolder the RCA plug part from the PCB. Then you might be able to replace them with some Cardas RCA’s and some good wire for around $50. This modification would not be very invasive.
http://www.perreaux.com/img/gallery/SXH1_inside.jpg
http://www.perreaux.com/img/gallery/...ear_inside.jpg
280smile.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #33 of 62
I originally voted no and would like to change that back to definite YES. I have the same problem as most people here (rev 0.5) I hadn't actually tried the rca out loop. last night I did and lo and behold no sound out of the left channel even after moving the IC around and trying two different pairs. How can they use such crap and unreliable rca jacks in what is in every other respect a great amp?

It's nice of Perreaux to include the graphs of performance for each individual amp, but don't you think it would be a better idea if they used the time to check that the thing actually screw*** works before they send it!

This must be the worst failure rate of any audio device I've ever heard of.

Mar 6, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Yes I think is pretty high too. Maybe not all head-fi Perreaux owners have voted though. In any case, I actually requested a return with refund, not with a replacement unit.

sweet move considering you have the LaRocco PPA on the way...What will you use till then for amplification? I dont know if you have any other amps in house...

Tha failure rate is astonishing. I dont think its "Failure" anymore - I think its purely an error in the production line...

If you guys can fix it yourselves or get AA to pay shipping AND do the fixing...then I suggest you keep the Perreaux simply because it does its job as a good amplifier...the rest of the gimmicks are just not worth getting furious over and bashing the amps.

How do they sound - that is the main point - the little squibbles can be worked around.

If someone wants to sell me the rev 0.5 PM me
mad.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #35 of 62
I was going to buy a Perraux this week, but upon reading this thread, Im having second thoughts.

Do anyone have had any problems with the RCA inputs (not out)?

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
sweet move considering you have the LaRocco PPA on the way...What will you use till then for amplification? I dont know if you have any other amps in house...

The 650+Zu is connected to my Marantz receiver's headphone out, which does an ok job. Sounds a bit hazier and warmer though. But I already placed the Perreaux in its box, even though AA hasn't sent me a return auth. number yet. I am so dissapointed I don't even want to listen to it any longer.

Quote:

Originally posted by Pablo Abularach

With RCA ins there doesn't seem to be such a problem as with the outs. The outs are right above the ins, maybe indeed there's a production flaw. A weak construction in the soldering for the outs, or the whole connection between the board and the RCA outs might be weak for some reason.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Pablo Abularach
I was going to buy a Perraux this week, but upon reading this thread, Im having second thoughts.

Oh No!
eek.gif

Perreaux is actually becoming a doubtful product? Please say it isn't so!!!!

I know for one, that my SXH-1 has been in use for over 3 or 4 months and it seems to be working great as I speak. For some reason or another, I must be one of the luckiest consumers. Never had any malfunctions with anything that I have ever bought!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
Oh No!
eek.gif

Perreaux is actually becoming a doubtful product? Please say it isn't so!!!!

Yeah, Eeeeek is right... and it's all my fault!
wink.gif

I don't know what to say exactly other than this is a glaring thing to me: if so many people have the same problem as me, that screams design flaw. I should email Clinton Jensen @ Perreaux about this and include a URL to this thread.

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #39 of 62
If you all notify perreaux I am sure they will take it seriously and do a product recall - I am also sure that you will all be given upgraded/fixed and defect free products in return for no extra cost (if you guys do it right).

Pursue it with passion and hope for the best!!

Cheers!!

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

if so many people have the same problem as me, that screams design flaw. I should email Clinton Jensen @ Perreaux about this and include a URL to this thread.

I think that's a good idea. They should realize the frequency of this issue, and future versions will only benefit from that awareness, to say the least.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by kedu
I think all of this may in some way be connected with Perreaux's "strategic fit" issues which have led to the end of its relationship with Audio Advisor.

Were end users having problems with Perreaux's other products purchased through AA?

While I'm having no problems with my Perreaux headphone amplifier I'm wondering if AA's poor packing, for shipment, might have something to do with some of the problems people are having?

Someone else mentioned that their unit was shipped in the original box, not double boxed. Mine came that way. The styrofoam suspending the amplifier in the box had cracked. It was obvious to me that this unit should have been double boxed for shipping via UPS ground.

Anyway, I guess I don't have any real complaints as the Perreaux I received works and sounds great. I'd just advise anyone buying one from AA request double boxing.

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #43 of 62
I think mine was double boxed, actually not sure right now. (There are UPS labels on the black Perreaux box, but I remember taking that box out of another box. Have been receiving/sending a few packages lately, so not totally sure though).
But in any case the styrofoam was and still is perfect. I wouldn't blame packaging, but some internal weakness in the RCA out connections.

Mar 8, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #44 of 62
OK guys, here is Clinton Jensen, of Perreaux, responding to my email to him: I'll post this in its entirety, and I'm also gonna post it in my Perreaux Take Two thread.

Hello Martin

thank you for alerting me to this issue. after reading through the thread i find it quite amusing that some of the members think that we send out faulty product and don't test to make sure it is working first. we have extemely stringent QC procedures and the product is thoroughly audio tested to make sure it meets spec. we have nothing to hide and this is why we provide graphs with all our products. these graphs are all taken at rated output with both channels driven, in the case of the SXH1, with a 64 Ohm load (this provides the best compromise, as i am aware that 32 Ohms and 300 Ohms are common load impedances).

the problem with the RCA inputs/outputs stems from the courier companies. most of your members are probably unaware of how brutal these people are and the small nature of the SXH1 makes it very tempting just to throw it around (and believe me they do, FRAGILE sticker or not). Most of the courier drivers are contractors and are paid by the number of jobs they do, so they of course are concerned with time.

the nature of Audio Advisor's business does not help this issue, being a mail order company, as their product will always be shipped out via courier. our move to a traditional distribution model with a retail network will help take this issue out of the picture. some of the HeadFi.org members are alluding to the number of issues with the SXH1 fuelling this decision, this is not true. we didn't feel that a mail order company was the right avenue to move our higher-end product, and this had been proven over period of our relationship. We had no doubt what-so-ever that they could move Silhouette Series, and again this was proven. so this is the so-called 'strategic fit', while they could sell Silhouette Series, there is more to Perreaux than that. we don't want potential US customers missing out on Perreaux just because AA won't stock it.

now, how to fix this problem. i can only guess, but what i assume has happened is the solder joint to the RCA connector(s) has broken. this is easy to fix and will only require the joint to be re-soldered. this should be covered under warranty, but will need to be taken up with AA, as it doesn't come under material defects, workmanship defects or normal use.

what can we do to stop this from happening in the future, i don't know at this stage. it will require a sit down with the mechanical engineer and a few ideas thrown around. but again, thank you for alerting me to this problem. your feedback is invaluable and without it no product would be able to evolve to the next level.

on a side note, I noticed that only 30 members voted... it is hardly fair to say there is a 35% failure rate when over 150 units have been sold in the US alone.

warm regards

Clinton

Mar 8, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #45 of 62
I received mine last month from AA, it was shipped 3 day FedEx February 2nd and it was definitely double boxed. Although my output jacks work perfectly, I would be upset if they didn't. But, this amp sounds so great, I really believe nothing in its price range can come close to it, so I would pull the cover off and look for a loose solder joint and see if I could fix it myself. I realize one shouldn't have to do this, I'm just saying what I would do if in fact I found nothing more than a loose or cracked solder joint. It would be interesting if the people that are having this problem take the cover off and closely take a look with a magnifying glass and check. Good luck to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back