Perreaux SXH-1: I have had PROBLEMS or I have had NO PROBLEMS
Mar 3, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
No problems whatsoever. I was upset that I could still hear the dimmest of dim hums coming from it though. Nothing to worry about though.
wink.gif

Check out where you have placed your Perreaux CamelBack. Mine had a minor hum at full volume while source was paused, but I noticed when I moved the Perreaux that hum changed. So by trial and error hovering the Perreaux over where it was, I realized that hum was related to having the Perreaux on top of where the CD player has the transformer. Yes even through the player's case, and through the Perreaux's case, a transformer's magnetic field can have some effect and interference on sensitive audio equipment.

Maybe the effect was of that transformer on the interconnects connected to the Perreaux, or conversely, the Perreaux's transformer on the interconnects near that area of the CD player. In any case, once the Perreaux was far enough from that transformer area of the Cd player, no hum whatsover.

Mar 4, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 62
Two units of version 0.3 had a noticeable hum with Grado headphones (I am certain it originated in the amp... I did all the right tests).

One unit of version 0.5 does not have any hum. Happy customer.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 62
Ok please remove a 1 from the "no problems", and add it to the other option of the poll. Today I discovered a problem in my Perreaux, in fact, exactly the same problem xaipemw had.

Connected the outs of the Perreaux to my receiver today to listen to the recently modded player through my speakers for the first time. Right speaker had sound, left didn't. After checking things out, it turns out that slightly pushing down the cables connected to the outs in the Perreaux brought back to life the sound of the left speaker. Tried 3 different pairs of interconnects and same thing, so its not the cables. The RCA outs of my Perreaux are also problematic. Already went to AA's webpages and filled out a return request form.

This is a rather synchronized misfortune because today I placed an order for a LaRocco PPA. I was planning to use the Perreaux while that one arrived, and was going to have a lot of fun comparing them, later on selling the Perreaux here on head-fi or ebay as a 2 month or so used unit. By then the return period would have expired, but I expected it to be in perfect condition, so that was the plan. Well, change of plans. Good I discovered this problem now. The return period expires in 5 days.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 62
Mine had a hum with the CD3000s (version 0.3 specifically, bought from the originator of the Perreaux craze, JMedeiros).

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Ok please remove a 1 from the "no problems", and add it to the other option of the poll. Today I discovered a problem in my Perreaux, in fact, exactly the same problem xaipemw had.

EEEEWWWW.... rsaavedr, that sucks the big one. I'm starting to wonder about this stuff with AA and the Perreaux. Anyways, this is what happened to me today:

I got my new SXH1 today from FedEx. Amazingly enough, it was just sent out yesterday from Audio Advisor! Although, I live just on the other side of the pond (Lake Michigan) from AA, so it's not that extreme. The point is that I haven't tried it out yet... I had a minor flood in my room today!! I live in the basement... ughh. I also bought a Monster surge protector that everything's running through now, instead of simply through the wall socket.

I'm hoping to God that this new SXH1 doesn't have the same problems that my old one did. A weird note: the new one's serial number is much smaller (AKA older) than my previous one. So much so, in fact, that I popped open the hood of the Perreaux to make sure it was indeed a rev. 0.5! (It was). I'll post a message as soon as I see if the outputs are working or not. If they're not.. I"m not gonna be a happy camper--and I may just go get the same Larocco PPA that you're getting.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by xaipemw
I'll post a message as soon as I see if the outputs are working or not. If they're not.. I"m not gonna be a happy camper--and I may just go get the same Larocco PPA that you're getting.

Well check those outs more than once after a few days. Before I sent my player to SACDmods, I perfectly remember the outs of the Perreaux were working ok. After sending the player, my source was my receiver decoding the PS2 digital out, so I didn't need to use the Perreaux's outs at all for almost 3 weeks. Now with the player back I reconnected the outs of the Perreaux again to the ins of the receiver and voila' they have this problem.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #24 of 62
lol... actually I think that I'm going to wait a little while before I check this... I am using Audioquest Copperhead IC's from my source to the Perreaux.. and I ordered another set to go from the Perreaux to my receiver.. but they're not here yet. I'm going to wait until I get the new copperheads before I can let ya know.

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 62
Oh and I didn't tell the whole nine yards. Off topic though, but just to get it out of my system...

Also discovered the modded player came back with a minor problem. Component video outs are fine, but there's no color in the two S-video outs of the player, images from those are in black and white. Already emailed Matthew about it. It's not the TV's s-video in because the PS2 connected through it looks in full color and fine. And it's not the cable because tried another one, and still b&w, so it's definitely the player. It wasn't like that before because I had it connected with the S-video before I sent it, and colors were fine from those outs.
mad.gif
mad.gif
not my day for sure. And I was so happy yesterday with my new nice cables...
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #26 of 62
Relax and take a DEEEEEEP breath...

Your MOD is covered by the warranty and I think they should cover shipping...

The perreaux is undergoing surgery or refund
smily_headphones1.gif
enough money for a Singlepower PPX3
wink.gif

Relax..Relax...Relax...

If there is anything you can do to help yourself -put away all the headphone gear and play some PS2!!! GTA + VC!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #28 of 62
I would check the DVP with another TV before I jumped the gun on an RMA to SACDMODS. Did you check the PAL, NTSC etc. settings??

Did you check this BEFORE you sent it to SACDMODS?? What sucks now is that you cant get it fixed OR replaced by Sony
tongue.gif

Aah... the compromises we make in the search for better sound
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I would check the DVP with another TV before I jumped the gun on an RMA to SACDMODS. Did you check the PAL, NTSC etc. settings??

Again the TV is not the problem. I use the same S-video in of the TV with the s-video cable of the playstation and it looks fine in full colors with the playstation. Also as I indicated, it's not the s-video cable, also ruled that possibility out.

Quote:

Did you check this BEFORE you sent it to SACDMODS?? What sucks now is that you cant get it fixed OR replaced by Sony
tongue.gif

Both component and s-video outs for sure all worked perfectly before I sent it to sacdmods. Component still ok, s-video now is not.

The two rca video outs of this player as a matter of fact are also coming out in black and white. Those outs I had never used before though, had always connected it to my tv using component or s-video. The rca outs however are right next to the s-videos, so I guess the same problem is affecting both s-video and both rca video outs at the same time, while not the single set of component outs for whatever reason, separate circuits I guess.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 62
Ergggg.... is it just me, or is over 30% failure rate a little high for a product? I mean, sheesh, look at the poll here, folks. That's a tad bit discouraging if you ask me. And hell, I OWN one of them!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back