Perreaux SXH-1 FOR $200
Sep 9, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 115
Ok ok, I know I just ordered the HA-2 amp so I shouldn't have much to say here, but..

Yeah, the Perreaux sxh-1 is such a friendly liquid kind of sounding amp. If you can get it for IMO, €300-ish or less, it's a good buy. 200 USD is awesome!
eek.gif

I may be soon parting from the Perreaux, but I'm parting friends. Sure the Prehead was better at the head-fi meet. But the little Perreaux held its own and said "Hey, I can groove too!" It was a sound that while you wanted to be critical and start disecting things, it just said "nevermind that, let's dance!" It's a good product that can do that, especially given the price point of 200 USD.

People who don't have one won't know what I mean, and people who do, and who've enjoyed it, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

As for voltage. It's my understanding that it's a a matter of flipping a switch
on the system board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
confused.gif

edit - IMO, if all items are sold at cost, then how are people supposed to put food on the table, and pay their employees and earn a living? There's such a thing as too much markup, but there has to be some...unless you don't mind not having a job because no one can afford to pay you. As for if the Perreaux is at cost or not. I'm skeptical, as some are getting older versions. So it's not really at cost, but more like product dumping.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Ok ok, I know I just ordered the HA-2 amp so I shouldn't have much to say here, but..

Yeah, the Perreaux sxh-1 is such a friendly liquid kind of sounding amp. If you can get it for IMO, €300-ish or less, it's a good buy. 200 USD is awesome!
eek.gif

I may be soon parting from the Perreaux, but I'm parting friends. Sure the Prehead was better at the head-fi meet. But the little Perreaux held its own and said "Hey, I can groove too!" It was a sound that while you wanted to be critical and start disecting things, it just said "nevermind that, let's dance!" It's a good product that can do that, especially given the price point of 200 USD.

People who don't have one won't know what I mean, and people who do, and who've enjoyed it, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

As for voltage. It's my understanding that it's a a matter of flipping a switch on the system board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
confused.gif

I don't know if this happen to you, but in my case it was the first amp that put me inside of a venue, it has a soundstage to die for, I don't know if it was just a matter of synergy between crappy gear or what...LOL.....but it was the first amp, in offering me, a true presentation of a musical event, as an event....the claps of the public sounded so real in some Jean Luc Ponty, that I do believe I was part of the audience.....I had a few cheap amps before, and had heard a few others, and non of them, gave me that feeling.....
Now this is the revision 0.5, let's see if we could mod it, you have to agree with me, that at this price point we could invest in Black Gates caps, better diodes for the PSU, and who knows tighten a little bit more the bass, my major complain with it and CD3000......

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 115
plainsong said:
As for voltage. It's my understanding that it's a a matter of flipping a switch
on the system board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
confused.gif

QUOTE]

From my talks with Perreaux, this is my understanding as well.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 115
There is no such a switch, maybe you could move some tabs or solder some wires in a different position, to use the other part of the transformer, but I don't remember any switch in mine.....I ahve the pic here, and there is no switch.....

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 115
Looks like I'll have to open mine up before I put it for sale and have a look-see. As for Perreaux and soundstage. I have one word for that - liquid. Like swimming in a big deep blue ocean. Very nice indeed.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Perreaux took a real beating thanks to currency exchange rates combined with business decisions that take a page from the Grado Book of International Business, but it never stopped sounding nice.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 115
Well, I got a tracking USPS tracking number, didn't have a chance to call about a .5 version before they shipped. Hopefully I'll get lucky, if not, I still got HD600s with their 300 Ohm impedance.

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #22 of 115
Once again I have to thank fellow Head-Fiers for making me aware of a great deal. I have been thinking about a headphone amp for a year but didn't want to go over $200 for the first purchase. Well, I happened to come across this post and now I will have a SXH-1, can't quite believe it.

And I called and they said they had a 0.5 to send me, so I will get that as well. I have HD-600s so perhaps the 0.3 would not have been a problem but I just ordered HD-595s as well and have been thinking about the AKG-271 as my closed phone so I should be covered either way.

Thanks again and my wallet hates you!

Derek N

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
There is no such a switch, maybe you could move some tabs or solder some wires in a different position, to use the other part of the transformer, but I don't remember any switch in mine.....I ahve the pic here, and there is no switch.....

can anybody open one up and confirm it? if there IS such a switch..anybody in the US of A kind enough to grab one and ship it to me?

Sep 10, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek N
Once again I have to thank fellow Head-Fiers for making me aware of a great deal. I have been thinking about a headphone amp for a year but didn't want to go over $200 for the first purchase. Well, I happened to come across this post and now I will have a SXH-1, can't quite believe it.

And I called and they said they had a 0.5 to send me, so I will get that as well. I have HD-600s so perhaps the 0.3 would not have been a problem but I just ordered HD-595s as well and have been thinking about the AKG-271 as my closed phone so I should be covered either way.

Thanks again and my wallet hates you!

Derek N

Well to be honest, the original version (0.3) I received some time ago, did not hummed, not even at 32 ohms, until I send it for that "mod". Unfortunatelly according to what I saw later, AA had no idea of the mod they were doing, as according to Clinton in Perreaux, that mod would make the amp to work more solidly into class A, and will increase the performance. So I took the chance, and it was a disaster, after the mod the hum showed up....But I know that some members suffered from that problem, since the begining, so we contacted Perreaux, and they released the REV 0.5 in which the problem was completelly corrected, so you are right, the REV 0.5 should perform better than the 0.3......

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
can anybody open one up and confirm it? if there IS such a switch..anybody in the US of A kind enough to grab one and ship it to me?

If you want I could mail you a pic of the guts of the Rev 0.3...but if do a search, you will find both pics, and very big BTW, they were posted some time ago...there is no switch but there is some tabs in the board that mention 120V and 240V, so I'm assuming it is a matter of soldering maybe a wire internally, or in another position, to engage the right tab for 240V....

Here are the pics of both, as you can see, there is no switch, but if you look closer around the transformer, on top, between the cables and the top side of the transformer, you will see that there are some inscriptions showing the 120V and 240V option, on the board, so they should be for something....otherwise I think that Perreaux could mod it for you.....

Rev 0.3

PICT0016s.JPG

Rev 0.5

PICT0048.jpg

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 115
I recently sent my 0.3v version to Perreaux for the hum/connector fix and can say that there is no hum even with my ety4-p which is an even lower load then the CD3k
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 115
I just ordered one and the guy at AA said they were running out of v.5's but that all v.3's had been shipped back to Perreaux for fixing (presumbaly the hum). I don't know what other revisions were done between the .3 and .5 though.

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #28 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias
I just ordered one and the guy at AA said they were running out of v.5's but that all v.3's had been shipped back to Perreaux for fixing (presumbaly the hum). I don't know what other revisions were done between the .3 and .5 though.

NONE, the other version that exists, is the prototype Rev 0.2, the one on the AA pic, but they just made a few of them as protos and demo units, to mail them to the dealers, if you can get this one, it is supposed to be even better, that one was extensively tested by them for a long time before the release.....

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias

If they have already been shipped back to Perreaux then these 0.3v should be fine. Shouldn't be any different then the 0.5v. I would verify that the hum and connector issue has been fixed on the 0.3v and if so, I'd order one. You also have the 30day return policy of AA as well.

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #30 of 115
Got my SXH-1 today (Saturday morning) and nothing is wrong with it, don't get any hum with my HD600s or even my MX500s. And hot damn, AA has some good shipping speed. I ordered on Wednesday, and got it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back