Performing in Stereo
Sep 26, 2005 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
This is actually a question not related to music-listening, but performing.

I am a keyboard player and for the longest time I've been playing live with mono speakers. However, it is obvious that since my piano samples are stereo, if i can play them with stereo speakers things sound much better.

However, I run it through the PA system at my church and I don't have any stereo speakers per se.

Could I simply run the L output of my keyboard into one channel of the PA mixer, and the R output into a different channel on the PA mixer, would that be "stereo"? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Is your goal to actually have a stereo setup (left channel to left speaker and right channel to right speaker)? Or is your goal simply to have both channels coming out of the system so that the listeners here the entire keyboard sample? In either case, I suppose the answer to your question will depend on how the church PA system is set up.

Sep 27, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 5
The instrument sounds for keyboards can be in stereo, but they could've been recorded in mono (from my limited research).

If you run both channels into a mixer and then through a mono PA speaker system, I doubt the sound will be that good.

On my keyboard, if you just connect out of the L channel, the stereo sound will come out in mono (I haven't even connected to an amp or mixer yet, though). If you're using a mono speaker system, I think your best bet would be to use one of the mono instruments on your keyboard, but you'll have to experiment to see what sounds best.

Sep 27, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 5
If you're playing through a stereo PA, definitely send the sound engineer both left and right. He'll want to hard pan them left and right. The rest of the band should still be mixed mono in most environments. Stereo effects should be mixed stereo, mono instruments should go through both stacks. Unless you've got a VERY nice pa, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back