Perfect Seal AR6 (Ambiance Reference 6) | New "Ambiance" Lineup of CIEMs!
Feb 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #166 of 195

I chose to go with the acrylic version. My impressions already made it to Wichita yesterday => will be delivered tomorrow I guess :rolleyes:

You're enjoying your AR6 so far?

That's cool mate. Hope you get it soon.

Actually, the strongest part of AR6 is its imaging. Locations of instruments are easy to determine.

Will share more impressions soon :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #167 of 195
I haven't been active on here all that much lately, but I am very much enjoying the AR6.

Having spent significant time with it, here are just some of my conclusions.

1) I was wrong. The fit of my AR6 is actually good. It felt off at first and I didn't really understand why, but after a side by side comparison with my other CIEMs, the AR6 extends deepest into my canals. Due to the very thin and twisty nature of my ear canals, most of my other CIEMs was manufactured to have a relatively shallower fit. The AR6 felt uncomfortable initially because it was the first time experiencing such a deep insertion. Ironically, the AR6's quadruple bores must have made it the hardest CIEM to squeeze everything in

2) The AR6 is most suited to acoustic or classical music. It can tend to struggle with the heavy and congested passages of a song where it loses bit of control, which becomes evident at higher volumes.

3) The AR6 is definitely bass light. Sub-bass extension is pretty good, but there will surely be some who find that it doesn't hit hard enough or have enough rumble

4) Soundstage and imaging... I don't know how the AR6 does it and I have no idea how to describe it. I guess the best way to term it is 'intimately spacious'. The sense of spaciousness is second to none out of all the IEMs that I've tried thus far. You can sense vocals being quite upfront and yet still positioned centrally in the soundstage (if that makes sense)

5) I'm finding that the AR6 is source dependent, which is slightly puzzling for an IEM. I've tried a number of sources (some my own and others from my friends) to confirm this. The AR6 sounds good directly from my iPhone 6, awesome when fed from an Arcam irDAC lineout to a Schiit Asgard 2, excellent from the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. But it sounds strident and harsh when paired from the 3.5mm balanced of the LH Labs Geek Out v2 with the FRM filter.

6) The best match for the AR6 will probably be a source with a good degree of musicality and lift in the bass. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #168 of 195
And I've forgot one last point. I've managed to spend quite a bit of time with an 1964 Adel U10 and they are very different sonically.

The U10 sounds almost like a bass cannon compared to the AR6. It it warmer, more intimate sounding, and also clearer and a touch more detailed. The soundstage of the AR6 is however more realistic and proportionate than the U10, especially in depth. I would reinforce that while the U10's superior clarity renders details in a more apparent fashion, the AR6 to me is a hair better in resolution and microdynamics. Transients, note decay and timbre seem very slightly more realistic, although I must add that the U10 is excellent in this regard itself.

I'm finding that the U10 actually works better for me in the context of general listening, meaning to say that a relaxed, non-critical listening session yields an equally high level of enjoyment as any deliberate listening instances. It is consistently good across all genres regardless of recording quality. It also sounds excellent from any source I've tried it with.

As I'm typing though, Ed Sheeran's The A Team (still his best song IMO) comes on and the AR6 just handles it in such a smooth and delicate way that the U10 can't possibly replicate.

EDIT: Something that just occurred to me, relevant to this post and the one above is that my personal circumstances has dictated that all my listening over the last month or so become exclusively limited to only the AR6 and the U10. Hence its perhaps best to add a disclaimer that my impressions should be best contextualized as relative to each rather than with respect to all IEMs/headphones in general. It's also worth adding that the the U10 I'm using came used from the onset with a significant upgrade cable (the Toxic Cables Silver Poison), whereas the AR6 has been mated to the stock cable from day 1.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #169 of 195
@gyx11 thanks for your great & informative (almost close to a review) 2 posts above
smily_headphones1.gif

The way you described the soundsignature matches how I remember it, from when I heard it last month.
Although I hardly listen to accoustic and classical, I also really enjoyed it with lots of other genres. Can't remember the ''struggle with the heavy and congested passages of a song where it loses bit of control, which becomes evident at higher volumes'' part though, but I don't think I have tested it at high volume (always listen at moderate volume to protect my hearing) either
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I was looking for an iem that would be a good addition to my Solar and hybrids and I'm still convinced that I've found it with the AR6.

Concerning the 1964 ADEL U10 comparison, I've read multiple very positive posts about that one (and U12), so when the AR6 can hold up to it, then it's already very impressive imo. I had the 1964 Ears V6-Stage (also 6x BA, sold it some months ago) and althought that one had more bass in the signature as well, I don't think it performed on the same high level as the AR6 concerning resolution, details, imaging, soundstage etc.

Btw, I listened mainly from my Cowon P1 and FiiO X5 / Headstage Arrow 5P stack, loved the AR6's sq and signature from both! The cable that I used was a 8 braid silver one (Rhapsodio Luna), which also delivers pretty good bass for a silver one.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #171 of 195
  Perfect Seal AR6 review has been posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/perfect-seal-ar6/reviews/15546

Here's to bat ears...
thumbs-up.jpg

...and corresponding writing skills
wink_face.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #173 of 195
Thank you mate. Waiting for your AR6 review..

Impressions and pics for sure...review we'll have to wait and see. My first 2 took me quite some time (although they're very basic imo) and I'm just not that good at describing specific detailed sound aspects like you and some others can. But when I get carried away in enthousiastm (while listening) I might as well
rolleyes.gif

First they have to arrive anyway, afaik they were shipped last friday => on their way...

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #174 of 195

Impressions and pics for sure...review we'll have to wait and see. My first 2 took me quite some time (although they're very basic imo) and I'm just not that good at describing specific detailed sound aspects like you and some others can. But when I get carried away in enthousiastm (while listening) I might as well
rolleyes.gif

First they have to arrive anyway, afaik they were shipped last friday => on their way...

I am sure that you will post a great one.  
redface.gif
  Any picture of it, got from Mike? 

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #175 of 195
Any picture of it, got from Mike? 

Nope no pics (yet). I'm also curious how it will look (designwise) when it arrives and of course (more important) how it will fit...

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #176 of 195
Got 'em yesterday....so here are some (smartphone) pics I just took:

Listening atm with a RSD 2.98 cable from a P1

...pleasantly surprised, as they sound sooo goooood
smily_headphones1.gif

Details to follow later on, after some more listening time and cable matching...

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #177 of 195
  Got 'em yesterday....so here are some (smartphone) pics I just took:

Listening atm with a RSD 2.98 cable from a P1

...pleasantly surprised, as they sound sooo goooood
smily_headphones1.gif

Details to follow later on, after some more listening time and cable matching...

They look awesome mate. Happy listening :)

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #178 of 195
  They look awesome mate. Happy listening :)

Thanks MP!

Of course they reminded me (designwise) of yours because of the same colours => hope you don't mind
biggrin.gif

I guess this acrylic one turned out a little brighter though...

It's hard to see the line between faceplates and shells, so they look as one piece => job very well done!

Btw, what's the best method to keep customs (these are my first) clean over time?

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #180 of 195
Congrats, they look great! I just wipe them down with a lint fee cloth from time to time.

Thanks for the compliment (although that one belongs to Mike) and advise...
I hope you're still enjoying yours as much as you obviously did some time ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back