Perfect round holes through metal, How?
Jun 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

And using a Dremel and claiming the final hole is perfectly round...

Hands of a android? :wink: I guess if he's putting a flange around the imperfect hole, it doesn't need to be perfect to +/- 1mm

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 26
I've used a stepped drill and drilled from the back on the Galaxy cases and gotten good results. Use a drill press if at all possible, otherwise be sure to clamp the panel securely in place. Use alcohol for lubrication (of the drill, not yourself
smily_headphones1.gif
)

/U.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 26
There is no substitute for good machining equipment.

For perfect holes in sufficiently thin metal, my preferred method is punching, but you need the punch and tooling. After that, I would say the best method would be milling. I haven't had as much luck with plasma and laser cutting, plus milling is not sensitive to the alloy/composition of your metal.

A stepped bit is probably the most reasonable approach if you're going to DIY, but I'd see if I could have the work done before going that route. If you end up going the DIY route, make sure you have a good way of securing your panel so it doesn't move.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #22 of 26
Try finding a used chassis punch on eBay. I've picked up an assortment of Greenlee punches over the years and they make the cleanest holes.

I've also had luck using a hole saw which makes a pretty ugly hole. However, it is fast and they clean up nicely with a wide, rounded file.

Be sure to pick up a few files and sandpaper, too. Hand files are the easiest way to clean up a hole and make it smooth. Sandpaper takes off rough edges and makes it soft to the touch.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also had luck using a hole saw which makes a pretty ugly hole. However, it is fast and they clean up nicely with a wide, rounded file.

I found that clamping a piece of wood under the piece you're working on helps a lot with making a clean hole using a hole saw. A couple of drops of oil while you're drilling helps as well.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 26
I use the Lenox Bi-metal hole saws on my drill press. The technique is to apply just a light to moderate amount of down-force and use a cutting oil. Works for me everytime (also an excellent way to make holes in acrylic/plexiglass).

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 26
I prefer the step drill, but not in a drill press (it chatters too much). Do it by hand slowley. Not sure on big sizes, but i would use the most steps possible, and go slow. To avoid slivers, drill from both sides to cleanup, then run a razor blade over the edges to clean them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back