Perfect round holes through metal, How?
Jun 23, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
I’ve just bought a nice Galaxy enclosure from hifi2000, the front and back are the standard 3mm aluminum variety. What’s the best way with a hand held drill to get nice holes going up to say 23mm diameter, are stepped drills the way to go? Or do I need to re-think the whole hand held drill concept.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 26
stepped drills work. I find I very much enjoy starting a hole with a drill, and then using a dremel grinding bit to work the hole bigger and bigger

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 26
Uni-bits would probably work, but I'd use a piloted counterbore on aluminum. Once the pilot hole has been drilled, the counterbore can't "walk" and the perpendicularity of the drill becomes less important.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aluminum always has those ugly slivers on the opposite side, that's basically the way it cuts. Even with a stepped drill through a drill press, I get them. I just fix them after.

Even got slivers with lasercutting, nothing that can’t be fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stepped drills work. I find I very much enjoy starting a hole with a drill, and then using a dremel grinding bit to work the hole bigger and bigger

El_Doug this seems sketchy, I like the idea of picking a hole size, drill it and be done. Unless it’s just your pilot hole, pre the final drilling. Grinding to make a hole bigger seems not as accurate, I don’t know much about dremel’s either.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 26
A good centerpunch + step drill bit will do the job just fine. Make sure to clamp the piece to something solid and it's pretty easy. Using some lubrication also helps keep it from overheating.

Before I got my step drill bits, I did my panel work with a drill press and regular forstener bits
eek.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stepped bits get my vote. I picked up a set from Bunnings and I think the largest diameter is 24mm. I can check when I get home tonight.

Thanks elliot42, so they just fit your regular home drill? Might be taking a trip down the Bunnings to have a looksee.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #14 of 26
Drill presses are dirt cheap now. You don't need a good one for a normaly hobbyist, or if you work with lighter/non thick material, just make sure your work doesn't come loose whilst it's drilling.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 26
In my experience stepped bits over ~3/4" (~20mm) are hit or miss. They were never really intended for accurate work. If you want perfection your best bet is to have someone professionally machine the panel. It's not all that expensive really.

And using a Dremel and claiming the final hole is perfectly round...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back