Perfect amp for the AKG 501?
Jun 8, 2006 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Budrew

Head-Fier
Got my hands on a pair of AKG 501s for work. I had these some years ago and liked them. At home I have HD650s. I'm looking for a good amp for use with the 501s and an iPod using a line out. So far I'm pretty happy with the Emmeline SR-71 which I prefer slightly over the Headroom Micro. But still I feel like I'm missing something. I prefer a battery-powered amp, but will listen to other recommendations. Any ideas? Also appreciate recs for cable'ing from line out to amp. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Budrew,

Good choice of can if you like listening to classical or jazz. I'm assuming you don't have any issues with leakage from a headphone!

My suggestion would be to look at Xin Feng's SuperMacro IV as a possible amp. This is his very latest iteration and has, with the four-switch option, the means to give you some more bass for the bass-shy 501s and uses 8 AAA batteries. I use my 501s with my iMod 60gb iPod photo, and only on occasion do I use the bass boost on the amp. I am just glad to have the option with some recordings.

Do a search on here and check out Xin's amp reviews and go to his website (fixup.net) and check out the amp and the discussions about it (look under cool talk and then support).

I think there was a thread about this not long ago that dealt with this very subject.

Keep us posted.

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 12
No leakage problems whatwith constant white noise from AC vents. I don't listen loud anyway. Musically, it's classical, jazz, lots of acoustic guitar and space music with the occaissional Wilco. I've not heard of the Supermacro. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 12
let us know what you choose, my K501's arrived today. Very much fun, since I get to start taping vents, changing pads, etc, looking for bass. Burn in with the bass trio: Jaco, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten.

But I think my LDM+ (low gain model) is hyperventilating and sweating profusely.

Hey, I'm almost at 100 posts, I'll just start posting drivel!

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 12
I am burning my K501's in through a HeadRoom Micro amp. Will post my impressions after burn in. So far I have been happy
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 12
An headphone amp that can drive K1000 well will also drive K501 well.
K501 needs an amp with a lot of currrent, K1000 needs even more.
K501 is slightly sibilant and bass shy, so is K1000 in some sense.
Therefore in my experience headphone amps that can drive K1000 can do well with K501.
Grace m902 and RSA Raptor may be what you are looking for.

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 12
I brought my Grace m902 amp into work today to see what they do with the K501s, but I forgot to bring in a mini-RCA cable so I can't try it. I'll take it all home this weekend.

But I'm leary of having a big, fancy amp at work. Everyone's pretty cool, but you just never know. Are there any high current portable amps? This may not be realistic since it may drain the batteries too fast.

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 12
The Original Master Amp goes very well with the K501.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 12
Tonight, I preferred the Emmeline SR-71 over the Grace m902. Was rather impressed with the Ray Samuels in comparison. It drove the 501s better than the Grace and sounded better.

The Headroom Micro was good too, but not up to the level of the others. But, I'm still learning about the crossfeed. On a few albums it seems to change the presentation for the better, but on most there is little difference and it cuts transients and edges and puts a general veil over the music. But I can see how it helps the mind with the stereo image.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Budrew- if you're worried about an amp disappearing, go for a DIY one. Leave a few wires hanging out and some rough edges. Make some jokes about hoping the fire marshal doesn't see it, etc. and no one will touch it. Works every time.

More seriously, tubes are simpatico with the K-501. They flesh out the bass a little more and give it a less-neutral sound. Now, I like neutral, but the K-501 is silky and seductive on tubes. Try it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Fiz -

Let me know how your burn-in process is going with your Micro-Amp and K501s. I have the same setup and it sounds a bit thin and cold to me at the moment. Then again, I just got my amp yesterday. The amp has about 5 hours on it and the AKG K501s about 15 hours. I had a 2006 TBH that I previously used with the 501s and aside from not having enough gain - I thought the sound was smoother than I currently am experiencing with the Micro-Amp. Then again, the Bithead had more hours on it (about 20.) Let me know! Many thanks!

John

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 12
Try to get your hands on an old Rega Ear. Tremendous amount of power really does the 501s justice, in my opinion.

This was my former main setup (through a NAD L-40), although I rolled the op-amps and upgraded input/output caps. Either way, it was the only affordable amp I could find (a few years ago) that drove them with enough umph.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back