perf board v. pcb
Sep 5, 2004 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Myren

New Head-Fier
a significant amount of the projects i spy use perfboard. i dont really know jack about perfboard. but i do know and like PCB. is there any electrical advantage to perfboard, or is it just that you dont need to etch a perfboard?

thanks
Myren

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 7
The latter.

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 7
For small projects, it's just easier to work on perfboard.

Some claim that point to point wiring (based on perfboard) sounds better. Creative wiring can allow you to shorten signal paths and optimize grounding. But a multi layers pcb can do that too...

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
For single projects, a perf/proto board is more practical. Also a more hands on and comprehensive project imo. A PCB would allow for a quicker build and almost no knowledge of the components.

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
For single projects, a perf/proto board is more practical. Also a more hands on and comprehensive project imo. A PCB would allow for a quicker build and almost no knowledge of the components.

Yep, PCBs let the weekend 'paint-by-number' hobbists like myself make some cool stuff like the PPA.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Sonically, perfboard construction would be equal to PCB although you can do things like ground planes with PCB and in some cases make a smaller circuit with PCB. If you're getting into surface mount components, then a PCB is pretty much required although I've seen it done with perfboard. Also, some ICs dissapate heat through their leads and if you're etching your own boards, you can allow for larger traces and other heatsinking features.

Another advantage with desinging your own PCBs is that you can scrutinize your layout and fix mistakes before etching while when you do perfboard construction, if you make a wiring mistake, things can get ugly if you have to desolder and reattach too many parts.

Sep 6, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 7
with that said, that reminds me of something i was thinking about the other day...

are there any schematic/board applications that let you do your layout on perf board?

like for example, i can design a PCB in eagle... but is there any app that lets you design your circuit on common perf-boards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back