Perception of EQ is affected by confirmation bias
Feb 19, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 25
Thank you for the reply, Cory.

I'm curious to know what Redcarmoose was really driving at though. But maybe I'm just too dense to understand. :)

This is what I'm currently listening to btw. Perhaps it ties in in some way...

I don't think it does, though it was an interesting watch all the same.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 25
Metal also has a vid on EQ btw. I'm guessin that most here have already seen this one though...

I am not usin Peace or REW btw. The Equalizer APO's default Configuration Editor (which is not shown in metal's vid) is probably not as intuitive, or easy to use. And may be a little too daunting for the EQ newbs. But it is exceedingly powerful and flexible, once you learn how to use it. And I suspect it'll serve most of my EQ needs for right now.

Perhaps this ties into the convo a little more?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 25
Very cogent explanation. Even explains changing bit depth and sample rates, which neither of the other vids above mention.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 25
I’m still learning about the “proper” way to use EQ. I just got the ADI-2 DAC, which has wonderful EQ capability. I attended my first hifi meet pre-covid, and listened to quite a few headphones, amps, and DACs. All the guys were super nice. I remember asking about EQ and the group of guys all stopped in their tracks and looked at me as if I asked if we could sacrifice in the name of the devil or something. I was told that even considering the use of EQ was a big no in the hifi world. Oh well. I’ll learn to use the EQ in my DAC and won’t tell anybody.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 25
Those people don't know hi-fi. Audiophools are afraid of EQ, because their theory is that the solution to every problem involves throwing more money at it.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 25
Those people don't know hi-fi. Audiophools are afraid of EQ, because their theory is that the solution to every problem involves throwing more money at it.
Exactly. I was told to buy headphones that produce the frequencies just right, so nothing else is needed. Using an EQ introduces an impurity to the signal path and will undoubtedly color the tone.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #23 of 25
It's fine to buy a set of headphones that doesn't require any EQ, but that is going to set you back a lot of money. Equalization doesn't color sound, it CORRECTS coloration.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #24 of 25
Sad but true and they sometimes classify themselves "purists" . Some even see EQing as mortal sin when in fact all the music we are listening has gone through several stages of EQing. I have a specific affinity towards how my mids should sound so I EQ.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 25
They're "purists" but they run their audio from a DAP to a separate DAC to a separate amp (not that it matters). The problem is that they are operating on information dating back to the 80s. Analogue graphic equalizers back then could be squirrelly, with wide spill, noisy pots and most of all ground loop problems. They got a reputation for messing up sound. But none of that applies to modern digital EQ. Home theater is WAY ahead of home audio when it comes to applying EQ properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back