People who wear glasses, recomend me some frames!
Aug 16, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

apnk

Headphoneus Supremus
I am getting new glasses and I have been searching the net for all types of frames. I prefer semi rectanglish/squarish frames, no ovals or harry potter frames.
tongue.gif
I am looking for frames on the light side, so no plastic. My budget is around $150 for just the frames, less the better. Thanks.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not a fan of Oakley's style. I don't know why

Can you provide detail? I might order glasses online and since I really can't try before I buy your help would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide detail? I might order glasses online and since I really can't try before I buy your help would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just don't really like the way they look. IMO their designs all seem overly complex.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 31
I'm a "squares only" kind of a guy too, and also an Oakley fan, so my suggestions would be:

Chop Top 2.0, if you're looking for a thicker titanium frame with spring hinges.

Thread 2.0 or Spoke 2.0, if you're looking for a thin, really lightweight frame.

Why 3 / Why 4, or the Split Thread 2.0, if you're looking for super light rimless frames.

I own the Chop Top, Thread, Spoke, (all in 2.0) and Why 3, and my personal daily wear is the Why 3, it's absolutely the best eyeglass frame I've ever owned. It's super light, has that lovely high tech titanium hue, and is sculpted with very distinct curves...it does not look like "just another pair of glasses". It even has the signature X-metal look when you fold it up, with the temple part of the earstems hanging out like a pair of wings. Just make sure to choose a rimless shape that goes with your face.

I'd just be careful about going with any Oakley frame that uses C5 alloy as this is a VERY heavy metal, better suited for just occasional sunglass wear. All of the frames I mention are all either titanium or are done so thinly that the weight is negligible.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

I just don't really like the way they look. IMO their designs all seem overly complex.

I agree.
Oakley's design seems way too baroque for my taste.
I prefer simplicity
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

One of the reasons I personally like Oakley frames over all others is because the designers simply seemed to know exactly where to cut the corners and curves. Oakley frames all have a very, very sharp look to them. Putting one on my face alone gives me a sharper, "smarter" appearance. All too many times, when trying on other designer frames from what's available locally, it seems like the corners and curves on the frames are all cut at the wrong angles, giving them a very generic, bland look, i.e. the "nerdy high school kid" look.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #14 of 31
Hey, my oakley eyeglasses experience continues to be awful. It might be a one off, but short and long of it:

Got some oakley frames, actually very similar to the above. 'scrip's, of course. the UV whatever coating is chipping and corroding away like crazy. It's very annoying to try to see out of, because it actually ends up affecting my vision with all the spots.

To add insult to injury, those frames broke where the bridge meets one of the lenses. I'm pretty cautious with stuff in general, and moreso with glasses cause I'm blind without em. Reverted to an old pair of glasses I thankfully had around, poorer prescription but they are built like tanks.

What's oakley doing for me? Passing me around on the phone, asking me to go see a dealer, who sent them in and hasn't contacted me in a few weeks now.

I'll never recommend them or get them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back