People who wear glasses, recomend me some frames!
Aug 16, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just be careful about going with any Oakley frame that uses C5 alloy as this is a VERY heavy metal, better suited for just occasional sunglass wear. All of the frames I mention are all either titanium or are done so thinly that the weight is negligible.

Cool very helpful indeed. BTW how does the Oakley Wires Bottle Rocket 2.0 look to you (it's made from C5)? Or the Oakley Wires Corkscrew 4.0 (C5). Light or heavy? Also what does 2.0 and 4.0 mean in the Oakley models? Just numbers?
confused.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, my oakley eyeglasses experience continues to be awful. It might be a one off, but short and long of it:

Got some oakley frames, actually very similar to the above. 'scrip's, of course. the UV whatever coating is chipping and corroding away like crazy. It's very annoying to try to see out of, because it actually ends up affecting my vision with all the spots.

To add insult to injury, those frames broke where the bridge meets one of the lenses. I'm pretty cautious with stuff in general, and moreso with glasses cause I'm blind without em. Reverted to an old pair of glasses I thankfully had around, poorer prescription but they are built like tanks.

What's oakley doing for me? Passing me around on the phone, asking me to go see a dealer, who sent them in and hasn't contacted me in a few weeks now.

I'll never recommend them or get them again.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Are your lenses Oakley RX lenses? If so, the proper route is to take them in to an Oakley RX dealer, Oakley won't do much for you directly. I've had to have some of my lenses remade over the years and each and every time I got mine back in 2 weeks. The one bad exception was when Oakley actually lost my Why 3s, but even then Oakley accepted responsibility and completely replaced it for me. This is where being good friends with your dealer helps...I once broke the earstem on a brand spanking new pair of RX'ed Spoke 2.0s trying to adjust it, the dealer managed to get them completely replaced for me under warranty.

As for durability...I've been using Oakleys for the past 10 years and have yet to break one in day to day usage. And despite undergoing washings everyday and whatnot, the paint, if any, manages to stay nice and fresh, something that I cannot say about any other brand of glasses I've owned.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 31
I don't really have a brand preference when it comes to glass frame...
So far, I like my current frame best. Dolce & Gabanna DG 847.

I would suggest you to actually try them on and buy them online later...

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Are your lenses Oakley RX lenses? If so, the proper route is to take them in to an Oakley RX dealer, Oakley won't do much for you directly. I've had to have some of my lenses remade over the years and each and every time I got mine back in 2 weeks. The one bad exception was when Oakley actually lost my Why 3s, but even then Oakley accepted responsibility and completely replaced it for me. This is where being good friends with your dealer helps...I once broke the earstem on a brand spanking new pair of RX'ed Spoke 2.0s trying to adjust it, the dealer managed to get them completely replaced for me under warranty.

As for durability...I've been using Oakleys for the past 10 years and have yet to break one in day to day usage. And despite undergoing washings everyday and whatnot, the paint, if any, manages to stay nice and fresh, something that I cannot say about any other brand of glasses I've owned.

This is promising. I did have to take them to an Oakley RX dealer, and they overnighted them to Oakley. When I purchased them, I was working for a dealer, but that's across the country and I've lost touch with them, so it's really not an ideal situation. Hopefully Oakley will pull through on the warranty stuff with a minimal/no fee. But asking your customers to be without glasses for several weeks is kind of irresponsible, I think. It would be much easier if I were working with the dealer from which I bought them in the first place, for sure.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #21 of 31
Buying without trying for glasses? That's even worse than buying without listening for audio gears. I am wearing glasses for more than 20 years now since I was 7 years old and have my shares of mainly oakleys, tag heuers, d&g etc... I have great insurance so I am abusing it by buying a new pair every 1-2 years. The most important thing is that you never know how a frame matches your face, even with brands that you are accustomed to. A difference in cut, color or curve can produce a new expression of your face.

Don't be too obsessed with a certain brand and I also highly recommend to have a person accompanying you while trying new glasses to give some different opinions. For some reason women give much better and smarter opinions than guys
tongue.gif
, with guys is mostly: "Just get this oakley's dude, it looks so cool" eventhough it is too large for my face. Thanks to my gf I bought Paul Smith glasses for the first time, matches with my face and I love the model; what else do you want?

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #22 of 31
If you want lighter frames I'd definitely recommend looking at some Silhouettes. They're the frameless type, with the stems drilled into the lenses themselves. After years of using regular frames, these were a very welcome change. However, they're pretty expensive. I paid $400 for mine, lenses included, even with my insurance covering some. You can try them on at the store, most of them should have a kiosk displaying them.

If not those, just see what's available in the store in your price range that fits you well. That's all it's really about..what you feel most comfortable wearing. I think it's ridiculous to spend money for brand name frames when no one will be close enough to tell the difference between the $250 set and the $75 set that doesn't have the Armani label, unless you go with those awful gaudy frames with the fat sides that show off an "LV" badge or the like.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #23 of 31
ive got pro design http://www.eyework.co.uk/newimages/s...1167923597.jpg but if you are not a plastic frame person, i am not sure what to recommend. coincidentally, my gf went out to get glasses and got the same ones (whilst i was back in sweden) now we really look alike!

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying without trying for glasses? That's even worse than buying without listening for audio gears...

Yep, I was going to order blindly at first then I starting thinking what if they dont fit, save money sure, but the return policy kinda sucks. I vistited many stores and alot of times they didn't have the frames I was looking for that I found online. Until today I found some cool Emporio Armani's at a local eye store and they were asking $250 for the frames so I just went ahead and ordered them online for $123.50. They felt great and looked great for my face type. I tried hard to find some Oakleys but I didn't oh well, I saved some money by not finding them.

Oh and thanks Kbasanti for suggesting the Armani brand. Here's what I got:

9303_0hqe.jpg

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I was going to order blindly at first then I starting thinking what if they dont fit, save money sure, but the return policy kinda sucks. I vistited many stores and alot of times they didn't have the frames I was looking for that I found online. Until today I found some cool Emporio Armani's at a local eye store and they were asking $250 for the frames so I just went ahead and ordered them online for $123.50. They felt great and looked great for my face type. I tried hard to find some Oakleys but I didn't oh well, I saved some money by not finding them.

Oh and thanks Kbasanti for suggesting the Armani brand. Here's what I got:

9303_0hqe.jpg

No Problems man, Armani always has a good style.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 31
Who needs frames, get yourself a monocle!
Monocle.JPG

If you're really blind get yourself two... mmm dual monocle action.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #29 of 31
any pics of your face? that'll help us better match the frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back