pencil fi?
May 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #346 of 460
I need to make a decision as to what Mechanical Pencil I'll get, I have my eyes on a Black Rotring 600, but I'm not sure what size lead I'm comfortable with. Should I get a Four pack of Pentel P Series to figure out what I'm comfortable writing with the best, or take a chance on a Rotring 600 in 0.7mm? I'm new to mechanical pencils so I'm not sure what size lead to start at.

Also,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pentel-P203-P205-P207-P209-Automatic-Mechanical-Pencil-/120529734168?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1021ca18
Do these pens look legitimate?

This was the Rotring I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rotring-600-Mechanical-Pencil-0-7mm-Black-/270578834270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item3effc15b5e

I've already ordered a Tikky II in black, it's a ballpoint, that should be coming soon.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 18, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #347 of 460
@TrumpOrMonkey

Quote:
TrumpOrMonkey said:

I need to make a decision as to what Mechanical Pencil I'll get, I have my eyes on a Black Rotring 600, but I'm not sure what size lead I'm comfortable with. Should I get a Four pack of Pentel P Series to figure out what I'm comfortable writing with the best, or take a chance on a Rotring 600 in 0.7mm? I'm new to mechanical pencils so I'm not sure what size lead to start at.

Also,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pentel-P203-P205-P207-P209-Automatic-Mechanical-Pencil-/120529734168?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1021ca18
Do these pens look legitimate?

This was the Rotring I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rotring-600-Mechanical-Pencil-0-7mm-Black-/270578834270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item3effc15b5e

I've already ordered a Tikky II in black, it's a ballpoint, that should be coming soon.
bigsmile_face.gif

The four pack is a GREAT idea. Strongly recommended, if you can. Personally, I can't stand 0.7mm leads, and I'm not very good at keeping the 0.3/0.35 leads alive (although I want to revisit them, someday). Some people like myself have very strong preferences, and I'd hate for you to realize that you are the same, and ended up with the wrong one!

I don't know about the Pentel P pencils on eBay, it looks okay, but did you check jetpens? If they aren't on there, I guess you could go with an eBayer.

The Rotring seller hkokoro has sold to some people a few pages back, and they're happy!

Let us know how you like the Tikky II. I'm curious about it :)

@attika

Quote:
attika89 said:

Yeah, I saw the 800 2mm and its ~$62 so the question is: Buy a 600 0,5 AND a 2mm, or buy a 800 2mm
biggrin.gif

That Fixpencil 77 looks great as well and it might be cheaper then the Rotring 600
rolleyes.gif

The choice is yours to make. If you go the Fixpencil route, try a cap color other than red. I found that the black + red Rotring 600 and Fixpencil with red cap are nice and look sweet together, but I think variety is cool as well. In case you were wondering, you can buy the caps for the Fixpencil separately, and there is no difference between the colors (it's just a lead pointer/sharpener).

Yeah, I was in a similar situation with the choice of the 800 2mm (so pretty!) and he 600 0.5 + 600 2mm (0.5 is a beauty, while 2mm is clunky + ugly, in my humble opinion). I immediately fell in love with the Fixpencil, also because I read somewhere that Caran D'Ache was something like the first company to make leadholders, and I'm a sucker for that type of stuff. If you do go that way, you can sometime find them in art stores. Some info I got from researching/owning it:

The pencil is light. SO LIGHT. In a good way, in my opinion. Also, it is sturdy as hell! It's a really nice combo. For maths and the like, I definitely prefer it to the Rotring for everyday writing. For writing essays and such, the Rotring is just so perfect and precise, it's a very nice writing experience (600 has the most satisfying click I've felt. Hopefully the click doesn't start to weaken).

The Fixpencil 77 takes full sized (that is, what is most readily available) 2mm leads. The other Fixpencils (FP 22, if I recall) are shorter in length, and take Caran D'Ache replacements (or you could break the full sized ones). I personally fin the length of the 77 perfect.

Anyways, let us know which way you end up going. And, if you go with the 600 2mm, post pics! I think it could be a really awesome pencil, but the pics I've seen aren't that good. I'd love for you to change my mind about it!

May 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #348 of 460

Quote:

@attika

The choice is yours to make. If you go the Fixpencil route, try a cap color other than red. I found that the black + red Rotring 600 and Fixpencil with red cap are nice and look sweet together, but I think variety is cool as well. In case you were wondering, you can buy the caps for the Fixpencil separately, and there is no difference between the colors (it's just a lead pointer/sharpener).

Yeah, I was in a similar situation with the choice of the 800 2mm (so pretty!) and he 600 0.5 + 600 2mm (0.5 is a beauty, while 2mm is clunky + ugly, in my humble opinion). I immediately fell in love with the Fixpencil, also because I read somewhere that Caran D'Ache was something like the first company to make leadholders, and I'm a sucker for that type of stuff. If you do go that way, you can sometime find them in art stores. Some info I got from researching/owning it:

The pencil is light. SO LIGHT. In a good way, in my opinion. Also, it is sturdy as hell! It's a really nice combo. For maths and the like, I definitely prefer it to the Rotring for everyday writing. For writing essays and such, the Rotring is just so perfect and precise, it's a very nice writing experience (600 has the most satisfying click I've felt. Hopefully the click doesn't start to weaken).

The Fixpencil 77 takes full sized (that is, what is most readily available) 2mm leads. The other Fixpencils (FP 22, if I recall) are shorter in length, and take Caran D'Ache replacements (or you could break the full sized ones). I personally fin the length of the 77 perfect.

Anyways, let us know which way you end up going. And, if you go with the 600 2mm, post pics! I think it could be a really awesome pencil, but the pics I've seen aren't that good. I'd love for you to change my mind about it!

Yes the 800 2mm is so tempting, but its still more expensive then the 2 Rotring 600
frown.gif

The Fixpencil 77 is also awesome and it wont be a bad pick either...but  it'd be a lot easier for me to pick the two pecils from the same seller
I think I'll go with the 600 0,5mm + 600 2mm combo, but I have to think about the color a bit...hmmm...silver/black....both look nice
rolleyes.gif

Weel that 600 2mm is not that "ugly" for me..I kinda like the look, but I'd highly prefer the "old style" look as the 0,5 mm

May 19, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #349 of 460
Yeah, go for it.

If the 2mm is anything like the 0.5mm, it will be awesome!

As for the color, I was conflicted as well. I don't know whether black is the best. A lot of people love the silver. I think I might pick up a silver next time I buy pencils from a seller.

The way I justified black over silver was that silver might show blemishes a little more.

Also, it would look awesome after it has endured some wear and tear, like this, in my opinion.

Some people don't like the worn look, but I think it's really awesome.

May 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #351 of 460
I picked up a nice new toy today. Happened to be passing a stationary-stand, and saw a Kuru Toga. In a fit of whimsy, I decided that I had to have one. The self-rotating barrel thing is really cool, and despite the thing being made from 10 different flavours of plastic, it doesn't feel too 'cheap' in your hand. 

Having said that, I have by no means sated my appetite for such things. I am pretty sure I'm not going to be able to hold out for much longer on one of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250616871105&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) They are just so cool.

May 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #352 of 460
Nice. I might pick up a Kuru Toga. I read somewhere that because you're always writing on a chisel edge, it feels rough, but I'd like to try it anyway.

That Ohto is sweet! I'm really curious about how the rubberized barrel feels.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #355 of 460
god's almighty, i wish i'd never found this forum :). that being said, i just ordered a rotring 800 .5mm. i haven't used a pencil in ages, but look forward to getting a nice writing instrument :).

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #356 of 460

Quote:
Finally I've just ordered my new pencils(ebay/ kaz_nakamura)...I picked a black Rotring 600 0.5 mm and a  Steadler 925 25 20 2mm holder.
As I've heard and read they are both great (and they look nice) so I'm really looking forward to get them
popcorn.gif

I've just got them today!!!!!
They are awesome!!!!! (and the seller was awesome too....I could not wish for a better first shopping experience on my own on ebay)
So the Rotring 600 .5 (old style) and the Steadler 925 25 20 
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #357 of 460
For my first paycheck, I went out and bought my dad a matching Montblanc pen/pencil set.

I'm not much for fancy or ornate belongings, but I still think this is one of the most beautiful material things I've seen.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #358 of 460
Lost some steam in this one, I see. For some reason I get the Paradise Pen (used to be Colorado Pen, I thought?) catalogue, and I was flipping through and noticed a Padrino 600 pencil that reminds me of the old Rotrings. I'm curious about the weight -- has anyone used one? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #359 of 460
Here is my current pencil the Pilot H-3003. It's a balanced medium weight pencil with a retractable tip. Overall it's a very nice pencil to write with and I fully enjoy using it.
Too bad this pencil is no longer in production :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back