pencil fi?
Oct 26, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #301 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, also forgot the Kuro Tuga (i think that's what it is?) the premium edition is very nice for $15.

Not showing up on a google search?

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #302 of 460
Sorry, Kuru Toga, it's made by Uniball. The lettering has rubbed off on mine so I was going from memory.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #303 of 460
I've got a Kuru Toga High Grade, and it's a fantastic pen. The lead rotates a tiny bit each time you lift it off the paper, so that the point stays sharp and not chisel-tipped. Of course this does not work if you write in cursive, but for printed characters, it is very good. I thought it would be a gimmick, but it works very well.

A very good pen for about $15.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #304 of 460
Once you've got a nice mechanical pencil that you like, you'll want some great lead to go in it. The best I've used is Pentel Ain Hi-Polymer. I use Pentel Ain in HB 0.5 and it does not smudge yet erases easily. This is a great upgrade for your pencil.

Want a good eraser? Get a good plastic eraser such as the Staedtler Mars Plastic or the Pentel Ain Plastic. Not convenient to carry around all the time, but keep one at your desk.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #306 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by gspence2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Kuru Toga High Grade, and it's a fantastic pen. The lead rotates a tiny bit each time you lift it off the paper, so that the point stays sharp and not chisel-tipped. Of course this does not work if you write in cursive, but for printed characters, it is very good. I thought it would be a gimmick, but it works very well.

A very good pen for about $15.

I write practically everything in cursive....will the Kuru Toga still be a good buy? Or should I get something else?

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #307 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I write practically everything in cursive....will the Kuru Toga still be a good buy? Or should I get something else?

With cursive script, the rotating function does not work--it's just like any other pencil.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #310 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say that when you lift off your pencil after a word, that the lead will rotate. Even minutely, I believe it will still be a useful pencil.

Edit: An update, just bought the Kuru Toga
dt880smile.png
. The Kuru Toga rotates when the pencil lead hits and leaves the paper. Basically if you put your pencil perpendicular and make a dot repeatedly on the same spot you can see the mechanism/indicator rotate. I tried some cursive and while the mechanism still works, it doesn't move as much, as expected. But yes, as I said I say it's still worth it even if you're writing in cursive.

I really like this pencil! Though I feel that the high-grade version isn't too special, I probably prefer the cheaper one since plastic probably makes a better grip than the slippery aluminum.

Is 2B lead generally more fragile than HB lead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back