pencil fi?
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #256 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those that have a Rotring, anyone know what the letters mean that you see when you twist the top?

Different types of lead. Typically they are all showing HB as that seems to be the most commercially available lead type.

I always assumed it was just a reminder of lead type as turning seems to do nothing.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #257 of 460
Sorry guys. I completely failed in trying to get the group buy to work
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #258 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys. I completely failed in trying to get the group buy to work
frown.gif

It's okay Numbers, we still love you.
wink.gif

I just got my Rotring pencils today, and just the packaging was fun to go through. Bundoki has one of the best customer services I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with, and the pencils arrived safe and sound in a padded envelope.

On a side note, I think Japanese packaging labels have the cutest personalities. Twice on the package, there was a stamp with a pencil snapped in two, and the pencil said: "Please Don't Forget We Are FRAGILE."
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #259 of 460
While I continue to make up my mind over a Caran d'Ache 2 mm lead holder that was recommended earlier in the thread, I bought this Helix 2mm lead holder to tide me over:

helix-37047-mip.jpg

Mine has a brushed aluminum barrel instead of the cheap plastic blue barrel. Not that that really helps it much in the appearance category where it is downright bleak. But it feels rather surprisingly balanced considering its construction. my old one in India used to be a twist-to-advance model, while this remains a push-to-advance lead from the top. and like most 2 mm lead holders I used to use, it comes with a nice discrete sharpener tucked into the push top.

All in all, it feels rather good to return to a 2 mm lead as I've been using .5 mm mechanical pencils for the last 9 years almost exclusively.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #260 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different types of lead. Typically they are all showing HB as that seems to be the most commercially available lead type.

I always assumed it was just a reminder of lead type as turning seems to do nothing.

This is supremely useful when doing technical drawing by hand! Of course, everything is now done in autocad, but my teacher insisted on doing things dark ages style and then doing it a second time on the computer.

monolith, you should ask all these sellers for a commission
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #261 of 460
Can someone who is familiar with what the differences are between the Rotring 600 and the Kohinoor Rapidomatic or the Alvin DM05, DM07 pencils as far as weight and balance?

I have an Alvin DM05 and a Kohinoor Rapidomatic and they both have the knurled barrel at the bottom like the Rotring. The Alvin has a rubberery barrel and the Kohinor has what I think is a hard plastic. The Rotring looks a lot nicer being metal, but I wondered if they felt similar while writing.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #262 of 460
Has anyone tried the Rotring 800? Similar to the 600 but "pocket safe" with a retractable sleeve. Also I am seeing Rotring 500 pencils out there--they look just like the old 600's to me and I cannot figure out what the difference is.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #263 of 460
The 500 is like a budget version of the 600--the grip is knurled brass, but unlike the 600, the rest of the body is plastic.

When I bought my 600 I saw the seller's other ebay items, and there was the 500, for about half the price, which made me rather upset, but I calmed down when I found out that the 500 wasn't all metal.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #264 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 500 is like a budget version of the 600--the grip is knurled brass, but unlike the 600, the rest of the body is plastic.

When I bought my 600 I saw the seller's other ebay items, and there was the 500, for about half the price, which made me rather upset, but I calmed down when I found out that the 500 wasn't all metal.

Thanks vagarach, that's good info.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #265 of 460
I've been using a Cross Century 0.5mm pencil for 7 years and frankly, I wanted to retire it from front-line duty and began looking for another pencil... none of the budget pencils I got afterwards came even close to cutting it (I'm in engineering, and have to conjure up pages and pages of assignments every week).

Turns out a friend of mine had an original vintage 600, and one of the Levenger Lava pencils. I tried both out, and I was smitten by both (more so by the 600). So I just sent an email to bundoki for a 600 and two 500s (one for me and another for a friend of mine). I'm curious as to how the 500 would feel relative to the 600.

On another note, it's kinda cool to own a drafting pencil and a headphone (an LP Sextett) from the same era, even though I never actually lived through the '80s
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #267 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by adion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dropped my Rotring 600 and bent the tip 45 degrees. Was afraid of that, I always thought that part looked vulnerable. Time to get another.

I'm pretty sure they sell replacement tips.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #268 of 460
I've tried quite a few pencils, but never a Rotring 600.
I'm starting to lust after it though.

I've tried, loved, and given away two Sharp Kerrys to good friends.

Has anyone tried a Pilot S20?
They look really sexy.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #269 of 460
These X - fi? things are getting out of hands. And i know that came out wrong

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #270 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These X - fi? things are getting out of hands. And i know that came out wrong

Don't post in them then. Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back