Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,117 of 2,804

Less than $30, preferably. 

And you're looking for new or used?

Also, it'll be nice if you can tell which pens you've used in the past to get a better idea for others to help.

Used would be fine, providing it's possible to find within the price bracket outlined.

My first post here should do a good job explaining my situation:

Guess I'll jump in here too.
I bought a Lamy Safari about two months ago, then lost it (first pen I've lost in years 
rolleyes.gif
) so I "upgraded" to a Lamy Al-Star with a silver body and fine nib. Really regretting not getting an extra fine nib though, because my math class (the only one I take physical notes in) requires me to write smaller than the capabilities of a Lamy fine nib. And I think the limited edition black one would've looked cooler too.
I also bought a Pilot Petit1 for general use, but the clip broke off, so that's pretty useless now.
I've been using the fountain pen that came with my bottle of Noodler's ink for a while, it's their dropper model. The only problem is that after leaving the cap off for a minute or two, it takes a while to get the ink back up and running again, and I'm a bit sketched out on not having a cartridge in a pen I carry around with me every day...
So, suggestions on what to try next? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible since I'm a poor college student.

I was looking at getting a black Al-star with an extra fine tip, or the Vista. The Al-star is on the top of my budget though.
I also thought I might try this if it's available locally at Kinokuniya: http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/4007

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,119 of 2,804
  Used would be fine, providing it's possible to find within the price bracket outlined.

My first post here should do a good job explaining my situation:

Ok, based on your info, there are a few options I can suggest around the $30 mark, as of now on eBay:
- Parker 45
- Sheaffer Imperial/Snorkel
- Parker 21
- Esterbrook
- Eversharp Skyline

Some may be used, but if you're lucky you can find them NOS.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,120 of 2,804

Ok, based on your info, there are a few options I can suggest around the $30 mark, as of now on eBay:
- Parker 45
- Parker 21
- Esterbrook
- Eversharp Skyline

Or get a nice Pilot 78g in fine or extra fine. The pens mentioned above rarely have fine/extra-fine nibs - mechgamer's preference.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #2,121 of 2,804

Or get a nice Pilot 78g in fine or extra fine. The pens mentioned above rarely have fine/extra-fine nibs - mechgamer's preference.

Funny I've never heard of the 78g, until now. And it looks like a very good option for beginners, but I'm not sure if it compares to the Lamys.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2,123 of 2,804

It has the same nib as the Prera for example. The plastic might be lesser quality of course.

Yes, only gold plated.

The plastic is not exactly high end, and the weight too isn't much.

Thats why I think the Cocoon/Metropolitan may be a better choice at a slight premium. Its a full sized pen (14.8 cm closed), and the brass body has a nice balance to it.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,124 of 2,804
  Yes, only gold plated.

The plastic is not exactly high end, and the weight too isn't much.

Thats why I think the Cocoon/Metropolitan may be a better choice at a slight premium. Its a full sized pen (14.8 cm closed), and the brass body has a nice balance to it.

Yes, that is the reason why I've suggested the Metropolitan earlier too.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #2,125 of 2,804
What about the Platinum Plasir? Metal and plastic body, comes in a fine(0.3) nib and really cheap. Or a Platinum Preppy. So cheap it's almost a crime, but same as the Plasir except it's a plastic body.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2,126 of 2,804
  What about the Platinum Plasir? Metal and plastic body, comes in a fine(0.3) nib and really cheap. Or a Platinum Preppy. So cheap it's almost a crime, but same as the Plasir except it's a plastic body.

I think with the converter its more expensive than the Metropolitan.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2,127 of 2,804

What do you think about the Pilot Metropolitan?
It is a metal pen for $15 from Goulet pens for example, and it comes with a converter.
It's medium nib should write about as fine as a Lamy F or EF

Wow, for a medium nib that's awfully fine!
I will go test drive one at the university bookstore when I get some free time and report back.

I'll look into the plasir. I think the pen that came with the noodler's ink bottle is actually a platinum preppy with a 0.3 nib. If you leave the cap off for more than a minute or so, it takes a bit of effort to get the ink flowing again, which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

- Parker 45
- Parker 21
- Esterbrook
- Eversharp Skyline

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
I'm not sure if extra fine will be my "preference" per se for all my writing in general, but for some things like my math class, it's necessary.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,129 of 2,804
@mechgamer Why use a fountain pen instead of a ballpoint? It's much more convenient to carry through college and cost effective too not to mention the risk of work being wiped out by a water spill. I know the arguments of a fountain pen vs a ballpoint. In fact, I used to write with the fountain pen exclusively but today ballpoints has come a long way. They don't require a lot of pressure and are very reliable (Eg/ Papermate Inkjoy).

If you wish to get a fountain pen, I would suggest saving up and buy the pen of your dreams otherwise you will keep on buying fountain pens until you reach the holy grail - it's a painfully expensive process. 

ps. I don't believe you're a "poor college student" from the looks of your audio gear. 
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,130 of 2,804
  @mechgamer Why use a fountain pen instead of a ballpoint? It's much more convenient to carry through college and cost effective too not to mention the risk of work being wiped out by a water spill. I know the arguments of a fountain pen vs a ballpoint. In fact, I used to write with the fountain pen exclusively but today ballpoints has come a long way. They don't require a lot of pressure and are very reliable (Eg/ Papermate Inkjoy).

Well, there are several options as such, rollerballs are also good.

ps. I don't believe you're a "poor college student" from the looks of your audio gear. 
wink.gif

I guess now we know what made him poor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back