Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,086 of 2,804
The Tangster comes through! 
thumbsup.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,089 of 2,804
I had the TWSBI 580 cleaned and put away but I miss it so it's going back into rotation. I'm thinking of trying Iroshizuku Shin-kai again. It might look better with the 1.1 stub as it was a little washed out with my finer nibs.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2,091 of 2,804
Guess I'll jump in here too.
I bought a Lamy Safari about two months ago, then lost it (first pen I've lost in years 
rolleyes.gif
) so I "upgraded" to a Lamy Al-Star with a silver body and fine tip. Really regretting not getting an extra fine tip though, because my math class (the only one I take physical notes in) requires me to write smaller than the capabilities of a Lamy fine nib. And I think the limited edition black one would've looked cooler too.
I also bought a Pilot Petit1 for general use, but the clip broke off, so that's pretty useless now.
I've been using the fountain pen that came with my bottle of Noodler's ink for a while, it's their dropper model. The only problem is that after leaving the cap off for a minute or two, it takes a while to get the ink back up and running again, and I'm a bit sketched out on not having a cartridge in a pen I carry around with me every day...
So, suggestions on what to try next? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible since I'm a poor college student.

I was looking at getting a black Al-star with an extra fine tip, or the Vista. The Al-star is on the top of my budget though.
I also thought I might try this if it's available locally at Kinokuniya: http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/4007

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #2,092 of 2,804
  jay-w, that's a beautiful contrast of technology in your pix.

Thanks. I was too lazy to get out the dslr so just took a quick pic. Old and new tech definitely have a place in my daily life.

Quote:
I bought a Lamy Safari about two months ago, then lost it (first pen I've lost in years 
rolleyes.gif
) so I "upgraded" to a Lamy Al-Star with a silver body and fine tip. Really regretting not getting an extra fine tip though, because my math class (the only one I take physical notes in) requires me to write smaller than the capabilities of a Lamy fine nib. And I think the limited edition black one would've looked cooler too.
I also bought a Pilot Petit1 for general use, but the clip broke off, so that's pretty useless now.
I've been using the fountain pen that came with my bottle of Noodler's ink for a while, it's their dropper model. The only problem is that after leaving the cap off for a minute or two, it takes a while to get the ink back up and running again, and I'm a bit sketched out on not having a cartridge in a pen I carry around with me every day...
So, suggestions on what to try next? I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible since I'm a poor college student.

I was looking at getting a black Al-star with an extra fine tip, or the Vista. The Al-star is on the top of my budget though.
I also thought I might try this if it's available locally at Kinokuniya: http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/4007

mechgamer123 why don't you just buy an EF lamy nib? I have almost all of them it's one of the best things about Lamy that you can swap them out easily.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #2,093 of 2,804
  mechgamer123 why don't you just buy an EF lamy nib? I have almost all of them it's one of the best things about Lamy that you can swap them out easily.

Because at $15, it's not that much cheaper than just buying another pen, and then that way I would have two pens for a few bucks more. That was my reasoning...

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2,095 of 2,804
  Got my Hero 616 pens today. At $4 shipped each they are amazing. I think people are too harsh on them.

Well, if evaluated as a standalone pen, they're great value for $4. The quality however, varies, and the nib will wear out pretty quickly, which is offset by the disposabilit; you can just get another one.

If seen as a Hero pen among so many other pens available,  they're nothing more than a cheap Parker 51 imitation. They've copied every single detail, right down to the clip, and just stopped shy of branding it as 'Parker' rather than 'Hero'.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,096 of 2,804
rolleyes.gif

What ink are you using? Some are faster than others and less likely to have flow problems. Noodler's has both faster and slower inks. For black, my go-to is Aurora's black ink. It's fast, dark, and not extreme enough to harm the pen.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,098 of 2,804

rolleyes.gif

What ink are you using? Some are faster than others and less likely to have flow problems. Noodler's has both faster and slower inks. For black, my go-to is Aurora's black ink. It's fast, dark, and not extreme enough to harm the pen.

In the lamy? I'm using the blue ink cartridge that came with the pen...
I am using Noodler's heart of darkness in my Noodler's dropper pen though.

Glad to see you're still around the forums once in a while! :)

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,099 of 2,804
  If you don't need black, I quite like Diamane Prussian blue, which flows really well. Aurora blue is a fast flowing ink too.

I do have and quite like that ink as well. Diamine is underrated overall, IMO. But keep in mind that Prussian blue is actually gray; some people don't know this beforehand and are disappointed when they get it.

Ah Lamy blue should be the same ink as Montblanc blue IIRC. Yeah, I haven't been spending as much time here lately,  but I do plan to stick around. I see you've changed your avatar, congrats again on UW!

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,100 of 2,804

Ah Lamy blue should be the same ink as Montblanc blue IIRC. Yeah, I haven't been spending as much time here lately,  but I do plan to stick around. I see you've changed your avatar, congrats again on UW!

Haha, thanks! You still need to come up to Seattle sometime :p
What are your recommendations for a cheap and really fine tipped fountain pen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back