Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #1,411 of 2,804

Quote:
The Sakuras are intriguing.  How do they write?  Which size has the ink flow and line thickness comparable to a Hi-Tec-C 0.4 or Uni-Ball DX 0.38?

I like the Sakura pens alot, they lay a very nice clean line perfect for little post-it notes or small diagrams. If you are a firm writer the durability of the tip may not be the best, I've bent and split the tip on a fatter one with some abuse. They are a felt? tip and not a ball or gel pen so the feel is a bit different. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,412 of 2,804
Can't live without my Uni Jetstream pens.
Smooth writing, practical and perfect for heavy use, especially for a student.
Carry around 3 different Jetstream bodies with me everyday. >_>

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #1,413 of 2,804

Quote:
I like the Sakura pens alot, they lay a very nice clean line perfect for little post-it notes or small diagrams. If you are a firm writer the durability of the tip may not be the best, I've bent and split the tip on a fatter one with some abuse. They are a felt? tip and not a ball or gel pen so the feel is a bit different. 

Thanks JadeEast.  I've grown fond of the gel inks for their consistency and durability so the felt tip may not be ideal.  I just ordered a number of Pilots and Unis that should last me a year before I need to restock again.  Always interested in discovering new pens that are potential replacements.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,414 of 2,804
I just got the Sakuras in today, don't really have much writing to do tonight though. Just scribbled down a few lines and so far and they're pretty good. Not as smooth writing as the Pentels, but much much cleaner. No ink bleed at all, and it's very easy to keep letters and equations small and neat.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,415 of 2,804
Just ordered a set of Sakura Pigma fineliners to try 

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #1,418 of 2,804
For those looking for a custom pen, check out my review on FPN of a custom pen for only $125! Also check out my review i did on a custom wood case. Great looking case for anyone interested in storing there pens.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #1,419 of 2,804
I am looking for a nice pen to use at work, the problem I have is that my favorite pen is this one:

182a1d83-c90b-3cd8.jpg

The uniball vision elite. To everyone that has used one, what fine pen manufacturer makes a pen/cartridge that writes as good as this one? FYI, this is a rollerball pen.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,421 of 2,804
I was bored and decided to check out what pen-fi was. I walk away with a yellow Lamy safari and a bottle of noodler ink en route to my house. I don't even like to write...my wallet hates you guys... T.T

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #1,422 of 2,804
Got a couple Safari's and Vistas in various nib sizes, along with a Parker P51. Gotta say, the Lamy's are just brilliant. I like J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune (Purple) as far as inks go, but their red is a second choice for me.

For math and technical drawings/engineering logs, I go with .3 mm Pilot Hi-tecs.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #1,423 of 2,804
Quote:
Got a couple Safari's and Vistas in various nib sizes, along with a Parker P51. Gotta say, the Lamy's are just brilliant. I like J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune (Purple) as far as inks go, but their red is a second choice for me.

For math and technical drawings/engineering logs, I go with .3 mm Pilot Hi-tecs.

What's your Parker 51? Ive got a few 45's and 51's and 65's ive gotta get serviced. Where do you guys get your inks?

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #1,424 of 2,804
cifani, and anyone else interested:

it just depends which mont blanc you like. they are built just as good. save for 18k nib piston etc. i actually like the starwalker. well, i like the way the frost cap is on them.
visconti are all built just as crummy. not to say some are not very nice and i do own them. they are just not the quality of german pens. like italian cars. everything you want is right there until it all falls apart lol.

i have nothing vintage of note besides a real conklin with a plunger and a nozac. other parkers etc not too valuable.

i have some namiki's but probably the most incredible pen i own is an emperor rabbit in moonlight. like i said though it is beautiful art. sitting and filling it with a pipette is a different story. perhaps all good things take patience.

i will add for anyone, i happen to like krone. for a newer company they are pretty nice. i don't have a super expensive one but perhaps. the less than a grand ones are very well built. i wonder who actually makes them. i think modern conklin is made by visconti which shows. some sort of finish peeled off the silver clip on my mark twain in the first hour! that noodler demonstrator is the kind of deal the phileas was until waterman caught on and doubled the price. those are ss nibs that write like $150 nibs. by far i stick with a screw piston though these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back