Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Dec 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #1,231 of 2,804

Quote:

$45 for a pen? Hmm...is it really worth it?

Yes. When you start using one pen all the time, stop wasting money on disposables, get rid of hand pains, and have a better writing experience, it's more than worth it.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #1,232 of 2,804
Fountain pens can improve your handwriting because they use nibs. Using a nib forces you to write at a proper angle and with proper form, so fountain pens can decrease pain from writing for long periods this way. Ballpoints and rollerballs don't use nibs, so better versions probably won't help you write better. Finer ballpoints, rollerball/gel pens can write more smoothly, and any decent fountain pen will write more smoothly and with less pressure than standard ballpoints, which may decrease pain in your arm. Fountain pens are probably the smoothest writing, however.

Many expensive fountain pens cost a lot because they have fancy barrels, but nice barrels are mainly just there for the "bling" factor. What makes a difference is the quality of the nib, but even my cheap Chinese Hero (brand) pens write quite well (less than $3) as do the cheaper lamys. As I said before, I'd take my cheap fountain over an expensive ballpoint or rollerball any day. The difference is all in the nib, I find.

Quote:
Quote:
I got 2 sharbo x LT3's and ****ing love everything about them.  Literally the perfect pen for any EDC'er / student.

It isn't really about a nicer pen making your handwriting better, that takes practice.  A fountain pen can help IMO just because oyu can focus more on form and shaping then keeping pressure on the pen.  It's about what you enjoy writing with, to me.

But the benefits of better pens are you're (probably) less likely to loose them since you know you paid a pretty penny for them.  Build quality.  Functionality. Customizeability (especially true for the sharbos). Self expression to a lesser extent

Quote:
Hey I am new to pens so I have a few questions?

I have piss poor handwriting, is it still worth getting a nicer pen?
Are nice(r) ballpoints really better than just a standard pen? Like this?
What are the benefits of better pens?

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #1,233 of 2,804

Quote:
Fountain pens can improve your handwriting because they use nibs. Using a nib forces you to write at a proper angle and with proper form, so fountain pens can decrease pain from writing for long periods this way. Ballpoints and rollerballs don't use nibs, so better versions probably won't help you write better. Finer ballpoints, rollerball/gel pens can write more smoothly, and any decent fountain pen will write more smoothly and with less pressure than standard ballpoints, which may decrease pain in your arm. Fountain pens are probably the smoothest writing, however.

I think you touched on the main aspect as to why a fountain pen will induce better handwriting: pressure.  Any cheap ballpoint pen has to be pressed onto the paper with a decent amount of force to get it to write.  Same with roller balls, just not as much.  A fountain pen, held at the correct angle with the nib aligned properly, requires basically no pressure to write.

If you need to press the pen to paper, you need to grip the pen tightly.  Since your grip is so much more relaxed with a fountain pen, your handwriting will flow better.  You can't have fine dexterity while tensing up all your muscles.  Your hand will only flow if it's relaxed.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #1,234 of 2,804
I've had a lamy safari for a couple months now and really love it so far....and now I just got myself a couple moleskine notebooks, but I'm having problems with them; When i write in the notebook for any period of time (not even one full page) the corners of the page start to curl up!  The notebook starts out flat and perfect, and then I write for a couple minutes and lift my hand and the corners lift off along with some wrinkling effect in the middle of the page...doesn't help with feathering at all!  ......is this the heat of my hand affecting the paper?  I'm a pretty warm guy generally, but this seems kinda crazy...

Any ideas?

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #1,235 of 2,804

Quote:
Quote:

I think you touched on the main aspect as to why a fountain pen will induce better handwriting: pressure.  Any cheap ballpoint pen has to be pressed onto the paper with a decent amount of force to get it to write.  Same with roller balls, just not as much.  A fountain pen, held at the correct angle with the nib aligned properly, requires basically no pressure to write.

If you need to press the pen to paper, you need to grip the pen tightly.  Since your grip is so much more relaxed with a fountain pen, your handwriting will flow better.  You can't have fine dexterity while tensing up all your muscles.  Your hand will only flow if it's relaxed.

Thanks. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,236 of 2,804

[size=medium]

I have to disagree with this point just from my experience with my lamy.  maybe it's because its an extra fine, but im just not as impressed with it as i was with my sharbo.  and on paper that it does feel smooth on, theres a decent amount of feathering.  and my handwriting is small enough as it is that i dont need things bleeding together.  just my 2 cents thoughQuote:

Fountain pens are probably the smoothest writing, however.

[/size]

I think so.  The build quality on it is amazing.  Plus being able to have whatever colors i prefer, in gel, rollerball, or ball point, in whatever size i prefer, plus whatever pencil size i prefer, all in one, is just amazing in my opinion.  I love color coding my notes and jotting things down in the sidelines that my professors suggest (physics major), and having pencil for my exams or classes where we spend a majority of time working problems

i cant see myself using anything else as my main.  plus the diameter is that of like. . .you're average wooden pencil.  and the all metal construction is great.  and being able to turn it infinitely in any direction, youre always 1 click away from whatever you want to write with.  and theres a certain tactility to them. . much like a mechanical keyboard. .when you twist them.Quote:
Quote:
I got 2 sharbo x LT3's and love everything about them.  Literally the perfect pen for any EDC'er / student.

It isn't really about a nicer pen making your handwriting better, that takes practice.  A fountain pen can help IMO just because oyu can focus more on form and shaping then keeping pressure on the pen.  It's about what you enjoy writing with, to me.

But the benefits of better pens are you're (probably) less likely to loose them since you know you paid a pretty penny for them.  Build quality.  Functionality. Customizeability (especially true for the sharbos). Self expression to a lesser extent

Quote:
Hey I am new to pens so I have a few questions?

I have piss poor handwriting, is it still worth getting a nicer pen?
Are nice(r) ballpoints really better than just a standard pen? Like this?
What are the benefits of better pens?

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #1,239 of 2,804
Yeah, say $20 or less online. I'd like to try one, but it must be noticeably better than a ballpoint (not to mention noticeable in and of itself!) Any suggestions to get started with fountain pens?

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #1,242 of 2,804

Parker Premier Black Edition : i bought this one but i will have to exchange it because it has a small defect on the cap
                                             Anyway, im a noob to pen-fi but could i go wrong buying a FP like that ? I mean at this price range there's no really bad pen or i am wrong ?

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,243 of 2,804
I love fountain pens. I used to have a large collection of fountain pens. The main advantage is that I could write for hours and there would be no fatigue. I don't like ball point pens, but I find myself using them more because that's what we use at work.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,244 of 2,804
I use a Pelikan M600 most of the time. I also have a M100 (in white; I got it because it reminded me of stormtroopers in Star Wars). I also use a Waterman Phileas often because it writes drier, which is better for some situations.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,245 of 2,804
I used my friends Lamy Al-Star today since I didn't have anything to write with. I used it all day. It is great. I am getting a Lamy Safari. Yellow is the color.

He is not a pen enthusiast though. He hasn't even heard of Montblanc. 
frown.gif

This is saddening because I don't think ANY of my friends are into niche things like this, i.e. watches, keyboards, audio, PC gaming, pens. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back