Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jun 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #1,141 of 2,804
I was actually looking at those and they looked pretty good. I like the look of the black one and the price is about all I want to spend for just trying that type of pen out.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #1,142 of 2,804
im very happy i bought my safari. i got the medium nib and find it to be a bit too wide for my tastes. i still use it every day though. ive got it filled up with Visconti blue at the moment. that's a great ink.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,143 of 2,804
So, I've got this on order as of today:

Obviously, not my photo.  It's a Visconti Homo Sapiens with an F nib.  I'm going to give it a try with Aurora Black which is my blackest ink but I have found AB to be too wet and slow to dry in most of my other pens so I am thinking I will have to find another blacker than black ink to pair with this pen.  I'm thinking Fountain Pen Hospital's Noodler's Old Manhattan.

I should have the pen early next week for first impressions.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #1,144 of 2,804

Quote:
So, I've got this on order as of today:

Obviously, not my photo.  It's a Visconti Homo Sapiens with an F nib.  I'm going to give it a try with Aurora Black which is my blackest ink but I have found AB to be too wet and slow to dry in most of my other pens so I am thinking I will have to find another blacker than black ink to pair with this pen.  I'm thinking Fountain Pen Hospital's Noodler's Old Manhattan.

I should have the pen early next week for first impressions.

Nice looking pen!

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,146 of 2,804

Quote:
Nice looking pen!

Quote:
That is one nice Visconti! Love the clip.

Thanks!  The body of the pen is actually made of an 'alloy' of resin and lava and instead of straight resin or cellulose.  That's what attracted me to it in the first place.  A stone pen is pretty cool if you ask me!  Also, the clip and other accents are actually bronze and not gold plate so they should develop a nice patina over time.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #1,147 of 2,804

Arrived earlier today and shown with my work pens.  From left, Lamy 2000 (Visconti Blue ink), Visconti Homo Sapiens, Rotring Newton (Aurora Black), and Lamy Safari (Noodler's Legal Lapis).  Sorry for the poor cell phone pic.  You can see that this pen really isn't a solid black color but it does have white/gray specs.  It also feels very different in hand.  It has a 'warmer and softer' feel to it than my other pens.  I like!

I filled it with Aurora Black as I mentioned above and it writes like a dream.  The nib is quite large, the same size as the nib on my Van Gogh Maxi but it doesn't feel quite so bulky as the Van Gogh.  This is a big pen but it's still a race car.  Aurora Black is perfect in this pen, I think, except it feathers badly on the cheap copy paper here at work.

I'm very much thinking this HS is a keeper.  The F nib is very flexy and writes SMOOOOOTH.  Apparently, it's some new alloy of 23K gold and palladium.  I think the nib of my Van Gogh is 14K gold and I know it feels very different.  This HS will mate nicely with an Omas F nibbed pen that I have which has a nib so stiff that it would probably pierce armor.

I do have a new pen shop/dealer to recommend: http://www.pentime.com/  Bryant was very patient with me and did everything exactly as promised.  He even went so far as to send me a refund for shipping after he overestimated the FedEx shipping cost (he usually uses USPS).  Good price, too!

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,148 of 2,804

Quote:

Arrived earlier today and shown with my work pens.  From left, Lamy 2000 (Visconti Blue ink), Visconti Homo Sapiens, Rotring Newton (Aurora Black), and Lamy Safari (Noodler's Legal Lapis).  Sorry for the poor cell phone pic.  You can see that this pen really isn't a solid black color but it does have white/gray specs.  It also feels very different in hand.  It has a 'warmer and softer' feel to it than my other pens.  I like!

I filled it with Aurora Black as I mentioned above and it writes like a dream.  The nib is quite large, the same size as the nib on my Van Gogh Maxi but it doesn't feel quite so bulky as the Van Gogh.  This is a big pen but it's still a race car.  Aurora Black is perfect in this pen, I think, except it feathers badly on the cheap copy paper here at work.

I'm very much thinking this HS is a keeper.  The F nib is very flexy and writes SMOOOOOTH.  Apparently, it's some new alloy of 23K gold and palladium.  I think the nib of my Van Gogh is 14K gold and I know it feels very different.  This HS will mate nicely with an Omas F nibbed pen that I have which has a nib so stiff that it would probably pierce armor.

I do have a new pen shop/dealer to recommend: http://www.pentime.com/  Bryant was very patient with me and did everything exactly as promised.  He even went so far as to send me a refund for shipping after he overestimated the FedEx shipping cost (he usually uses USPS).  Good price, too!

Yeah, I guess the palladium content is supposed to the highest ever used in a nib.  In any event, it's a really cool pen!  I buy most of my pens from fountainpenhospital.com, and they carry it too.  I think FPH's price is $475.00 for the fountain pen.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,149 of 2,804
Can anyone point out a place where I can get the Lamy Safari EF nib, Converter, and Aurora Black ink in one place? Would like to dabble in the fountain pen world, and that seems to me like the best starter kit, but can't find anyplace that will sell all 3.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,151 of 2,804
Hey, that's exactly what I started with, except I got the F nib!  It really is an awesome way to begin.  I've since moved up to a Lamy 2000 and Studio Palladium--haven't felt the urge to branch out into other brands yet.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #1,152 of 2,804
The EF nib on the Safari turned out to be still too bold for me. I bought a Pilot Prera with a Fine nib and that has climbed up to be number two daily writer behind this:

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #1,154 of 2,804
I don't think the hospital is going to change their paper selection in the charts to suit my pen's needs lol.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #1,155 of 2,804
[size=medium]It’s great to find someone that owns both, Visconti Homo Sapiens and Lamy 2000[/size]

[size=medium]I bought a Lamy 2000 a few months ago (I did not know about Visconti’s). Lamy 2000 has been the greatest writing experience I ever had, it really glides over the paper and you do not have to apply any pressure. The best value for money I can imagine.[/size]

[size=medium]I have a question: Lamy 2000 has an amazing nib and is made with “innovative” materials (at least for the 60’s). It also has an understated appearance (in matte black) and sturdy. Is it worth to invest the extra bucks to buy the Visconti Homo Sapiens (it costs about twice the Lamy)? Am I crazy to compare them?[/size]
[size=medium]Normally I only own one fountain pen, I sell the previous one to buy a new one, but I do not want to sell my Lamy 2000. If you could have only two pens, would you have the Lamy and the Visconti?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back