Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #1,126 of 2,804
I write with a medium-nib Pelikan Pura with Noodler's Forest Green, but as nice as it is to write on some papers, such as printer paper, moleskines, and other (expensive) paper, on my current notebook it is a feathering, bleeding mess. The already rather broad medium is made even larger from the feathering and I can only write on one side of the paper. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent (cheap) notebooks for note taking? I would like them to be quad or college ruled.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #1,127 of 2,804
after reading through most of this thread i bought a charcoal Lamy Safari, converter, and 4 ink samples(Visconti Blue, Noodler's Gruene Cactus, Noodler's Beaver, and Noodler's Polar Black (eel))

DAMN YOU HEAD-FI!

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #1,128 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I write with a medium-nib Pelikan Pura with Noodler's Forest Green, but as nice as it is to write on some papers, such as printer paper, moleskines, and other (expensive) paper, on my current notebook it is a feathering, bleeding mess. The already rather broad medium is made even larger from the feathering and I can only write on one side of the paper. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent (cheap) notebooks for note taking? I would like them to be quad or college ruled.

I use the standard college notebook which is sold at most college bookstores (that I know of)

FULLIMAGE_86350.jpg

Its not great like a clairefontaine or a rhodia but its not bad and feathers much less then normal cheap notebooks.

Also, I have heard that the red and black notebooks at staples are very good while not being very expensive

Black N' Red™ Polypropylene Notebook, 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" | Staples®

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,131 of 2,804
Gonna pick up my first FP next week, probably a cheap Scheaffer with a fine nib. My sister is going to Japan in July, so she can get me some Iroshizuku while shes there YAY. My upgrade path is being planned as I speak. I should stop reading this forum...

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,133 of 2,804
No idea on your particular model, but I was recently given a Montegrappa 300 Fountain. My first fountain pen! The guy down at the pen shop I visited once or twice told me it wasn't genuine, but I posted some pics on FPN and sent some off to Montegrappa, and both said it was an authentic Monte. I'm not going back there again
angry_face.gif

It's a smooth writer, and now I'm going to start experimenting with inks yay.
Damn you head-fi hahaha.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #1,134 of 2,804
i got a libelle soft case. the workmanship seems to be lacking. the strange thing is i thought the workmanship on the aston case was not great. maybe i got some bad examples. my luck. usually both of these are considered good.

music_man

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #1,135 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a libelle soft case. the workmanship seems to be lacking. the strange thing is i thought the workmanship on the aston case was not great. maybe i got some bad examples. my luck. usually both of these are considered good.

music_man

libelle is a bargain basement brand, what did you expect?

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #1,136 of 2,804
i know the libelle pens are cheap s- made in china. their leather pen cases are us made and praised on most pen forums. they are also carried by the top pen stores.

the aston is also supposed to be very high quality. made in a small shop in us. i guess companies do not put much effort into products that sell for $25. aston makes $2,500 jackets! so i doubt they spend much time on the pen cases.

they are ok. i expected ferrigamo quality but i was expecting too much.

for the record the aston is not really nicer than the libelle. i think ami might be nice.

music_man

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #1,137 of 2,804
actually i retract that statement. upon close scrutiny the aston is much nicer than the libelle. it is just kind of an odd shape. like a little boat. the aston is hand made in ny usa with italian leather. it is also only a few dollars more than the libelle. the soft ones are not very expensive considering the price of the pens it will protect. the hard cases are very nice but a little expensive.

music_man

music_man

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,138 of 2,804
Wow very, very interesting thread we got here. Any suggestions to someone totally new looking to get a fountain pen who is also left handed? Basically I'm looking for a budget fountain pen that is fine for a lefty and hopefully doesn't bleed too much. Any ideas?

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #1,140 of 2,804

Quote:
Wow very, very interesting thread we got here. Any suggestions to someone totally new looking to get a fountain pen who is also left handed? Basically I'm looking for a budget fountain pen that is fine for a lefty and hopefully doesn't bleed too much. Any ideas?

Lamy Safari with a fine or extra fine nib perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back