Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #991 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my issue is that I write in very, very classic Getty method italics, and I need an italic nib, which isn't the stock configuration on anything that costs less than my headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jetpens has the Sharbo X Multipen: Zebra Sharbo X Multi Pen System

For multipens I actually really like one of the cheapest multipens, the Hi-Tec C Coleto. Don't know why I'm so attached to it.

Would you recommend getting the hi-tec c coleto or just hi-tec-c gel ink pens? I've read that the build quality on the coleto isn't too phenomenal, which makes the ink refills a little bit less sturdy.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #992 of 2,804
Well I have a bunch of the Hi-tec C gel pens, and to be honest I think at the same price the Pentel Slicci is a better pen...but the multipen function of the Coleto is fine on mine, at least. If you're getting individual pens I'd get the Slicci instead of the Hi-Tec C.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #997 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lamy Safari. That is all.

I've used one of them ... too large and heavy for my liking.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #998 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used one of them ... too large and heavy for my liking.

I think you might have the Safari confused. It is really neither large nor heavy. And if you don't have it confused and really do think it too large and heavy, well, then fountain pens probably aren't for you.
beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #999 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might have the Safari confused. It is really neither large nor heavy. And if you don't have it confused and really do think it too large and heavy, well, then fountain pens probably aren't for you.
beerchug.gif

Well the version I used looked identical but was made of metal and was a Lamy ...

I have been using fountain pens for the last 4 years, so one ungainly crowbar isn't going to put me off them
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #1,000 of 2,804
How about the Pelikan M150?

Which fountain pen has the thinnest grip for writing? I don't like "fat" pens for writing, I tend to write best when the gripping portion is around the size of a normal Bic pen. I know no fountain pens will likely be this thin, but I'd like to try to get the thinnest possible.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #1,002 of 2,804
So far I'm looking at the Pelikan M150 and the Lamy Al-Star. Thoughts on them compared to each other? I kind of like that the Lamy has aluminum, but I guess the M150 has a better filling method? I'm not too sure about the different filling methods.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #1,003 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like I fill out forms and paperwork for a living... What pen would you guys recommend?

In my mind, the greatest entry level fountain pen is the Pelikan M200. Its nib is superior to that of both the Lamy Safari and Waterman Phileas, and writes with modern flex that allows for more varied markmaking. At $79, it's not cheap, but they're known to last long and stay within the usage rotation against even far more expensive fountain pens.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #1,004 of 2,804
How much of a philistine am I for liking a $3 fountain pen?

I didn't know the make of it until fairly recently. It's the "Preppy" made by Platinum, filled with Noodler's Legal Lapis (Pendemonium had a limited edition combo of Legal Lapis in an eyedropper bottle with the pen a while ago and my wife bought this for me as a gift). While I enjoy my Safaris a lot, I also enjoy a very fine tip, and even the EF Lamys cannot compete with a fine Japanese tip.. even a cheap one. Plus it stores a few months of ink in its reservoir, and there's a sister model that is a refillable highlighter.

Pro tip: When Legal Lapis leaks out of a pen, the color is more or less indistinguishable from indigo. So, if you want a bulletproof ink, and you wear jeans...

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #1,005 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of a philistine am I for liking a $3 fountain pen?

The pen I use to take lecture notes (in my Moleskines no less!) cost all of €2, and it works great. It's from the supermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back