Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jan 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #226 of 2,804
Silly me, got mixed up with the 144 Classique, which the 145 Chopin replaced. 146 is the LeGrand... A one minute search on google told me that the 144 was snap-cap instead of screw.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #227 of 2,804
From what I understand, the 145 replaced the 144, though I've seen online retailers like Swisher Pens still selling the 144 new. The Chopin is also little bigger. If I was desperate, I would've gone for the 145 =)

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #228 of 2,804
Didn't have good enough light, so these are as good as my efforts can possibly get. As a result the colour of the Cordovan Brown body doesn't really reveal itself in its magnficent glory
tongue.gif
Some of the pictures were mildly PS'ed to bring out the colours. Still, the brown is a darker in the pictures than it is in bright white light.

Date of manufacture: 1942 Q3
Model: Parker "51"
Filling System: Vacumatic
Nib: 14k Gold, iridium tip, fine
Cap: 'Blue Diamond', Inscription-1/10 16K GOLD FILLED [next line] MADE IN U.S.A., pearlescent cap jewel, 4-line-1-space pattern
Barrel: Inscription- PARKER "51" 2. [next line] MADE IN U.S.A., Cordovan Brown
Length: 13.7cm (capped), 12.6cm (uncapped), 14.9cm (posted)

post0dx5.jpg

post1ev4.jpg

image00011xm7.jpg

image00005bz1.jpg

image00013th7.jpg

post2rl5.jpg

post3pn4.jpg

post4yp8.jpg

post5fg4.jpg

post6bl2.jpg

post7ph5.jpg

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #231 of 2,804
Wow, that is impressive! What a fine instrument it must be, congrats! I however, stick with my disposable japanese uniball pens, since I lack the one true requirement for owning a real pen: neat handwriting
biggrin.gif
. Also, being a student of mathematics, I'm usually using greek letters and writing equations rather than writing long, flowing scripts of literary magnificence, so it all works out in the end.

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #232 of 2,804
Thanks guys! It writes very well. I must say it is quite a wet writer; the ink flow is effortless and never misses a stroke. I added three more pictures (three after the second picture are new).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Milkpowder, did you buy that one from Dennis (DWL)? The description looks like the way he writes in his FS posts. He is a fantastic guy to deal with, really knows his 51s.

Nope. This one was bought off eBay.co.uk I wrote the description myself with the help of the seller's listing.
cool.gif
I do however have another Parker "51" coming which I bought from FPN member gene. It's a Demi-Aerometric with a 12k GF cap in navy gray...
I see Dennis's "51" which he's selling atm. it's a 1946 3Q "51" Blue Diamond in Black. One more "51" can't hurt, although I really want one of those Parker Vacumatics... I'll let someone else buy DWL's "51".
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #233 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! It writes very well. I must say it is quite a wet writer; the ink flow is effortless and never misses a stroke. I added three more pictures (three after the second picture are new).

Nope. This one was bought off eBay.co.uk I wrote the description myself with the help of the seller's listing.
cool.gif
I do however have another Parker "51" coming which I bought from FPN member gene. It's a Demi-Aerometric with a 12k GF cap in navy gray...
I see Dennis's "51" which he's selling atm. it's a 1946 3Q "51" Blue Diamond in Black. One more "51" can't hurt, although I really want one of those Parker Vacumatics... I'll let someone else buy DWL's "51".
tongue.gif

Oh yeah thats right, I realized after I posted that pen looked just like the one from the eBay auction.
biggrin.gif
I've sold pens to gene before, he's a good guy. Like me he is still a relative FP newb, so like me he is buying and selling lots of pens.

And yes, it has taken me a while to learn to just let certain pens go when I see them for sale, especially 51s! There will always be another batch of 51s for sale next week, you know what I mean?
smily_headphones1.gif

Another seller I've heard good things about for 51s (not sure if he was mentioned in this thread yet) is www.wetinc.com/pens. More expensive then your typical individual seller, but his site is at least worth a gander for the drool-potential.

He has a 51 aero flighter right now for sale for $325.
blink.gif
Which actually isn't a bad price for a flighter, just way outta my league!
smily_headphones1.gif

Direct Link To Flighter

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #235 of 2,804
Yeah, Wet Inc have some incredible pens for sale. I'm salivating over this near-mint double jeweled 1945 P51 Vac in Buckskin Beige... too bad it's $550!!

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #237 of 2,804
Wow. I've always wanted a Mont Blanc pen. It's one of those financial "milestones"... if I'm able to buy one without batting an eye, I feel like I've achieved something in terms of career/money. Now the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 145 is my dream pen... but I'm sure I can settle for something newer and just as nice.

But back to my reality, not going to dump that much money on a pen... JUST yet.

Lamy intrigues me. I'm thinking of purchasing one. Or two. A black safari for school use, and a Palladium Studio for the times when I need to go to a ****tail party and write stuff on the back of business cards. What do you think? Where can I stock up on ink for these?

//edit: And now this is where I show my pen newbie-ness... I see people talking about buying bottles of ink. I always thought you put ink inside the pen, instead of dipping it ala "the olden days". I wouldn't mind trying either. But I don't know what these Lamy pens use! Help!

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #238 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But back to my reality, not going to dump that much money on a pen... JUST yet.

Lamy intrigues me. I'm thinking of purchasing one. Or two. A black safari for school use, and a Palladium Studio for the times when I need to go to a ****tail party and write stuff on the back of business cards. What do you think? Where can I stock up on ink for these?

//edit: And now this is where I show my pen newbie-ness... I see people talking about buying bottles of ink. I always thought you put ink inside the pen, instead of dipping it ala "the olden days". I wouldn't mind trying either. But I don't know what these Lamy pens use! Help!

About the Lamy pens:

Most, if not all, Lamy fountain pens can take either ink cartridges or a converter, which is basically a refillable ink cartridge (using bottled ink). You place the cartridge or converter inside the barrel of the pen, screw it back together, and you're ready to go. I use the converter 98% of the time because I like to try different inks and because Lamys work best with Lamy-brand cartridges, making it more difficult to substitute any ink you like. As I mentioned before, my favorite bottle inks are Aurora, Private Reserve, and Noodler's, all of which work great in a Lamy pen. Actually, Private Reserve also makes standard cartridges (a great choice if you like the convenience but want great colors). However, I'm pretty sure the Private Reserve cartridges won't fit the Lamy pens.

The Safari is a wonderful pen for people just starting out. I use a Vista or an Al-Star (same pen, just different look/material) almost daily at work, just because they're so durable and reliable. You can certainly start using cartridges with your pen, as it'll be the most convenient, but experimenting with different inks is just as fun as auditioning a new pair of headphones
600smile.gif

You can probably pick up a Vista or Safari for $18-22 (Al-Stars for maybe $25) and a bottle of ink just to get started. It's definitely an affordable way to get into fountain pens.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #239 of 2,804
I hella lost my Safari, but that's ok since it skipped a bit and I was looking to replace it anyway. I still think it's a great pen, and for $20 you don't wanna kill yourself if something happens to it.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #240 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hella lost my Safari, but that's ok since it skipped a bit and I was looking to replace it anyway. I still think it's a great pen, and for $20 you don't wanna kill yourself if something happens to it.

True. The Safari is cheap enough not to worry about too much. It's also very well made. I just think it lacks some some class
tongue.gif
That said, I still occasionally use it in lectures although I find the steel nib a bit stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back