Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 3, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,702 of 2,804
I just bought my very first fountain pen today: a Lamy Safari, charcoal color, with a Fine nib and blue cartridge.
Cost about 32 dollars, including an extra black cartridge and a converter.

I was actually surprised it worked well with my Moleskine notebook. I've always known about the brand's bad rep among fountain pen users, but somehow the Fine nib left little to no discernible bleeding. Seems I'm gonna keep using Moleskine for a while longer haha

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,703 of 2,804
@ adgaps

Congrats! Though my own Lamy Safari was not my first fountain pen purchase, my first Lamy was spec'd identical to your purchase (Charcoal; Fine nib; Blue ink).

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #2,704 of 2,804
Thanks. The Safari looks really unassuming but classy in charcoal, that's why I chose that color. :wink:

My minor gripe though is that it seems to skip often. At first I though maybe it's because I'm used to writing a bit fast, but it did skip even when I'm writing slowly. I did some research online, and it seems I either need a better flowing ink, or a new nib.

Any suggestions?

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #2,705 of 2,804
You might try flushing the nib really well, then reloading ink.  Sometimes new feed/nibs have a bit of residual oils and gunk from the manufacturing process.  A good cleaning/flushing sometimes helps with ink flow.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,706 of 2,804
  Thanks. The Safari looks really unassuming but classy in charcoal, that's why I chose that color. :wink:

My minor gripe though is that it seems to skip often. At first I though maybe it's because I'm used to writing a bit fast, but it did skip even when I'm writing slowly. I did some research online, and it seems I either need a better flowing ink, or a new nib.

Any suggestions?

Interesting in that my own Lamy didn't skip on the Rhodia notepad and other paper. Rather, it flowed wet. I didn't particularly care much for the way it wrote. Not long after, bought twin Pilot Falcon Metal fountain pens and haven't touched the Lamy since. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,707 of 2,804
  You might try flushing the nib really well, then reloading ink.  Sometimes new feed/nibs have a bit of residual oils and gunk from the manufacturing process.  A good cleaning/flushing sometimes helps with ink flow.

Thanks. I'll do that when my current cartridge runs out of ink. I'm planning on switching to black ink anyway (currently using Lamy's default blue cartridge) so I'll have to flush the pen before putting in the new ink.

Interesting in that my own Lamy didn't skip on the Rhodia notepad and other paper. Rather, it flowed wet. I didn't particularly care much for the way it wrote. Not long after, bought twin Pilot Falcon Metal fountain pens and haven't touched the Lamy since. 

I've just done some testing to see what might be wrong, I'm now mostly convinced it's the paper that's causing the skipping. I'll see if I can try the pen with the more recommended FP-friendly papers like Rhodia. Thanks for the help! :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,708 of 2,804
Yeah, paper can matter...hugely so. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,709 of 2,804
Pretty quiet in Pen-fi. 
Everyone must be busy writing. 
I picked up a Lamy Al-Star in copper orange,  along with the matching ink.   Love the pen,  a medium nib.   The Ink is nice,  but not sure how much I will use orange ink once Halloween and Thanksgiving are past. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,710 of 2,804
TWSBI Eco was available for only 2 days here in Manila - all stocks, probably about two dozens or so, were quickly bought by pen enthusiasts.
I'm still waiting for new stocks to arrive, which is still indefinite as of this time.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2,711 of 2,804
  Pretty quiet in Pen-fi. 
Everyone must be busy writing. 
I picked up a Lamy Al-Star in copper orange,  along with the matching ink.   Love the pen,  a medium nib.   The Ink is nice,  but not sure how much I will use orange ink once Halloween and Thanksgiving are past. 

thumbsup.gif

May not have anything new. But using what I've got to delight - just penned another personal letter.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,712 of 2,804
I wonder how many pen fanatics write their e-mails using pen and paper, scan them, then send the scans? It seems like a funny thing to use fountain pens for sending e-mails.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,713 of 2,804
I did that late '90's to a select few recipients for a special touch. And occasionally scanned and sent a full handwritten letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back