Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
May 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,686 of 2,804
popcorn.gif

May 16, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,687 of 2,804
These are the books that I have;

Fountain Pens Past and Present By: Paul Erano (signed), Fountain Pens: Vintage and Modern By: Andreas Lambrou (signed), The Fountain Pen: Collectors Companion By: Alexander Ewing, Fountain Pens By: Jonathan Steinberg and Victorian Pencils: Tools and Jewels. 

May 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,690 of 2,804
Hi all,

Just one (two; three!) quick question(s) from a relative neophyte in the world of fine pens -

How leak-proof are really pens like the Pilot Capless, Lamy Dialog 3 and the likes?

While I love the idea of having a fountain pen ready to go in my pocket, the thought of suddenly finding a large royal blue stain on my shirt & jacket while on my way to a client is less than appealing, to put it mildly.

Also, what happens when you're on an airplane? (I note from googling that opinions vary, but it would appear that at least the Pilot Capless is a pretty safe bet for bringing along on flights - wonder how many of the opinions I've seen posted are from people who have actually tried bringing one, and how many are just that age-old web forum pastime, repeating hearsay.)

Bonus question - anyone have a recommendation for a fast-drying ink? I've been using Sailor Nano with excellent results, but it has become exceedingly hard to find domestically and customs regulations makes it a quite expensive ink to have shipped from abroad.

Thanks!

May 19, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,691 of 2,804
  Hi all,

Just one (two; three!) quick question(s) from a relative neophyte in the world of fine pens -

How leak-proof are really pens like the Pilot Capless, Lamy Dialog 3 and the likes?

While I love the idea of having a fountain pen ready to go in my pocket, the thought of suddenly finding a large royal blue stain on my shirt & jacket while on my way to a client is less than appealing, to put it mildly.

Also, what happens when you're on an airplane? (I note from googling that opinions vary, but it would appear that at least the Pilot Capless is a pretty safe bet for bringing along on flights - wonder how many of the opinions I've seen posted are from people who have actually tried bringing one, and how many are just that age-old web forum pastime, repeating hearsay.)

Bonus question - anyone have a recommendation for a fast-drying ink? I've been using Sailor Nano with excellent results, but it has become exceedingly hard to find domestically and customs regulations makes it a quite expensive ink to have shipped from abroad.

Thanks!

Hi OddE, welcome to the world of pens!  Careful, like anything on Head-Fi, it's addicting!

I wouldn't say that the Pilot or Lamy are leak "proof", but most new fountain pens are going to be pretty leak resistant.  As long as you don't go waving the pens around or throwing them across the room you'll be fine.  I've been using fountain pens exclusively for about 10 years now and haven't had any ink stains on my clothes.  I also regularly carry a pen clipped in my pants pocket, which is a little more turbulent then the shirt pocket.

I, too, stayed away from flying with inked up fountain pens for quite a while.  I used to carry a couple of cartridges and travel with the pens dry.  It wasn't until about 6 months ago, when I bought my first Vanishing Point, that I gave it a shot and only because the pen shop owner said it would be OK.  Turns out, he was right, it was fine.  So I can say that with a Vanishing Point, as long as you keep it upright (in a shirt pocket is perfect) and don't use it while you're in the air, there were no problems.

Fast-drying ink: I've heard bad things about the Private Reserve Fast-Drying line, so may want to stay away from them.  Other than that, it'll greatly depend on the pen and paper combination.  Pick up some ink samples from Goulet and give them a shot.  I'm partial to Waterman inks.

May 20, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #2,692 of 2,804
Hi,

Thanks - this was just the kind of (ahem) enabling response I hoped for; now, all I have to do is decide which nib width I should go for - I've mostly used fine nibs in the past with good results, but am considering trying an extra fine this time around (My handwriting is very compact, and every time I make an effort to write larger, my writing rather quickly returns to its original, small size...

May 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,693 of 2,804
  Hi,

Thanks - this was just the kind of (ahem) enabling response I hoped for; now, all I have to do is decide which nib width I should go for - I've mostly used fine nibs in the past with good results, but am considering trying an extra fine this time around (My handwriting is very compact, and every time I make an effort to write larger, my writing rather quickly returns to its original, small size...

If you go with the VP remember they are Japanese nib sizes, so they'll generally run a bit fine-er.  I don't have a Pilot EF, so can't make a direct comparison, but I do have a Sailor EF and Lamy EF and there isn't much of a comparison.  The Lamy is at least 1 size, if not 2 sizes thicker than the Sailor.

It's easy to swap nibs on the Lamy if you're not happy.  The Dialog 3 comes with a 14k nib, but is the same design as most of the other Lamy pens with steel nibs.  The steel replacement nibs are cheap, so you could always swap around to see if you like a certain size better before ordering a more expensive 14k nib replacement.  There is certainly a different feel between the steel and 14k, but the sizes should be relatively similar.

You can swap out the nib units on the VP too, but it's nearly half the price of the pen, so motivation to get it right the first time!

May 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,694 of 2,804
  If you go with the VP remember they are Japanese nib sizes, so they'll generally run a bit fine-er.  I don't have a Pilot EF, so can't make a direct comparison, but I do have a Sailor EF and Lamy EF and there isn't much of a comparison.  The Lamy is at least 1 size, if not 2 sizes thicker than the Sailor.

-Yeah, I've found a couple of writing samples on the web from both pens with different nibs - the Lamy EF looks pretty much like the fine nibs used on a couple of my Chinese pens.

I'm leaning towards the Dialog 3 at the moment - there's simply something about the design which makes me come back to it time and time again - plus, with my big paws, the size is not an issue - rather, it is an advantage!

I'll ponder my choices until the next excuse to celebrate something comes up, then bring out the credit card. :)

May 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,696 of 2,804
I have had such a pen disaster. I usually use fountain pens however my boss wants things in blue ball point from now on, no gel (or fountain-me only). 

So i went to my local pen store and tried a bunch and settled on a Lamy 2000-203 black wood. The only one they had was the display model.(When i got home and put on glasses noticed a nick-thus maybe the lower price on it-first warning). I needed blue ink but the sales rep was unable to unscrew the pen. She actually tried other colors which were more expensive for some reason too, like light wood and couldn't get them open either. I figured that there was a trick and said id figure it out at home. Well bottom line was no trick-i checked online. So i fought with it for a while. Finally i gently covered the metal part with a doubled up rag and tried a pair of jewelers players to loosen it. Of course the pliers ended going thru the rag at one point, scratching the medal tip. So now i am stuck, the pen can't be opened, it is scratched so i assume unreturnable so i can't put in the right ink or return it. Dumb! I wasted a bunch of money on an unusable item. Tues the owner will be back in, maybe she can send it back to Lamy as damaged, I am fit to be tied….
frown.gif

May 24, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2,697 of 2,804
I'm sure it has come up in here but is it weird to hate writing but love a nice heavy pen? I won't let myself buy any because it would be a waste but back in the 90s I fell in love with cross pens and later even cheap fountain pens. Around that same time I fell in love with Zippo lighters and had a small collection of generic ones and I've never smoked.

May 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #2,699 of 2,804
  I have had such a pen disaster. I usually use fountain pens however my boss wants things in blue ball point from now on, no gel (or fountain-me only). 

So i went to my local pen store and tried a bunch and settled on a Lamy 2000-203 black wood. The only one they had was the display model.(When i got home and put on glasses noticed a nick-thus maybe the lower price on it-first warning). I needed blue ink but the sales rep was unable to unscrew the pen. She actually tried other colors which were more expensive for some reason too, like light wood and couldn't get them open either. I figured that there was a trick and said id figure it out at home. Well bottom line was no trick-i checked online. So i fought with it for a while. Finally i gently covered the metal part with a doubled up rag and tried a pair of jewelers players to loosen it. Of course the pliers ended going thru the rag at one point, scratching the medal tip. So now i am stuck, the pen can't be opened, it is scratched so i assume unreturnable so i can't put in the right ink or return it. Dumb! I wasted a bunch of money on an unusable item. Tues the owner will be back in, maybe she can send it back to Lamy as damaged, I am fit to be tied….
frown.gif

Ouch!  I'd certainly bring it back to complain to the shop once the manager is in.

That's a bit odd for for the sales person not to be able to open any of the Lamy2k pens.  These are typically well constructed pens, so wouldn't think there would be an issue.  Worst case, if you can't return it, try gently heating it with a hairdryer and trying the unscrew again.

May 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,700 of 2,804
  Ouch!  I'd certainly bring it back to complain to the shop once the manager is in.

That's a bit odd for for the sales person not to be able to open any of the Lamy2k pens.  These are typically well constructed pens, so wouldn't think there would be an issue.  Worst case, if you can't return it, try gently heating it with a hairdryer and trying the unscrew again.

Sat with owner for almost an hour as she called Lamy and her rep. She finally gave me a refund and i bought it somewhere else. Checked first and unscrewed no problem. I thing an employee at her store had put in the ink or something and over tightened them….  

Oh yeah, i tried heating. They were frozen. I notice the threading is a bit rough even on the one i just got, i can imaging it sticking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back