Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,447 of 2,804

Brush pens are something that I've always wanted to try.  Did you get the Noodler's one?  For some reason I feel like it'll be more like painting than writing, or is the brush quite stiff?  Can you write something in reasonably small letters?

A bit late, but below are some pictures of my main Philly pen show purchase, a Lamy 2000.  It's a pen that's been on my list for a while now and I can't believe it's taken me this long to pick one up.  I've had it for about a month now and I'm smitten with it!  Gorgeous pen and definitely in the permanent rotation now. 

I went with the black one (or 'Makrolon' which just makes it seem even cooler) over the stainless steel one.  Mainly because of price because the SS one is double the price, but I also like the black/silver look.  Really sleek design, nice springy clip, great 'clipping' cap, and really smooth piston filling system.

The nib is semi-hooded, 14kt gold (platinum coated), and I went with an oblique medium.

One of the reasons I was hesitant getting a 2k was I had read some negative reviews of the nib.  Some people love it, some people aren't happy with it, so I wanted to make sure I tested it before buying, hence buying a new pen at a pen show, which I had never done before (you can typically find better prices for new pens online, so I save the pen shows for vintage).

I gotta say, I'm sorry that I waited.  The nib is great, no scratchiness at all.  Really juicy wet too, which is why I went with the M and not the B.  I think the B would just pour ink out of it.  The OB nib doesn't give too much line variation to my normal writing, but is really easy to write with and seems to have a large, sweet 'angle', compared to other OB's I've tried.

Can you tell I love it??  Seriously, nothing bad to say!  If you're looking for a fountain pen around the $100 mark and have a few extra to spend, get one!

Congrats!
I'm in love with my L2k ever since I've first touched it!
tongue.gif

My EF is very smooth, one of my smoothest pens. It does have bit small sweet spot though.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,449 of 2,804
Almost like the Pilot Myu.
Even better.

I love the Myu. If there weren't so many knockoffs running around I'd get one right now. My mini Sailor got me into the "pocket" pens like the Myu. Now you got me looking at pics of them again, sigh...

Before buying mine I read all the complaints and thought it would be an issue for me. When I got the pen I didn't even notice and thats right where I grip the pen.

I'm with you, I thought they would be an issue as well, but I can't even tell they're there when I write. I guess if you had a really tight grip while writing you may notice them more.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,450 of 2,804

Before buying mine I read all the complaints and thought it would be an issue for me. When I got the pen I didn't even notice and thats right where I grip the pen.

This guy...  Has fingers of steel...

Really though, I wish they got rid of the ears and did something like a magnetic cap.  It is just such a shame that such a sleek design has those damn ears.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #2,451 of 2,804
  This guy...  Has fingers of steel...

Really though, I wish they got rid of the ears and did something like a magnetic cap.  It is just such a shame that such a sleek design has those damn ears.

This funny guy.

I actually don't like the taper of the grip section which is why I have to hold it higher.

Pilot VP is another one I thought would irk the crapola out of me but I couldn't resist buying the matte black one. The clip actually doesn't bother me but this time it's the larger diameter of the grip section.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #2,452 of 2,804
This funny guy.

I actually don't like the taper of the grip section which is why I have to hold it higher.

Pilot VP is another one I thought would irk the crapola out of me but I couldn't resist buying the matte black one. The clip actually doesn't bother me but this time it's the larger diameter of the grip section.

Which VP? The Decimo is slimmer than the original VP.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #2,453 of 2,804

I've read a lot about the issue. I barely notice those. Only when I'm paying attention to them directly.
I'm holding it a bit lower though.

So far there were only two pens what were so uncomfortable or annoying, I had to sell them.
Waterman Carene and Parker 51 Demi.
I might try the latter again, but only the normal sized model.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2,454 of 2,804
  I've read a lot about the issue. I barely notice those. Only when I'm paying attention to them directly.
I'm holding it a bit lower though.

So far there were only two pens what were so uncomfortable or annoying, I had to sell them.
Waterman Carene and Parker 51 Demi.
I might try the latter again, but only the normal sized model.

I haven't had any issue with the 51, mine is the normal sized.

Another aspect I've been wondering about is how some pens have a 'step' between the barrel and the grip section, to streamline the cap and the barrel, make the surfaces flush.
I don't have any such pen, but if someone does, I'd like to hear their opinion.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,455 of 2,804

I haven't had any issue with the 51, mine is the normal sized.

Another aspect I've been wondering about is how some pens have a 'step' between the barrel and the grip section, to streamline the cap and the barrel, make the surfaces flush.
I don't have any such pen, but if someone does, I'd like to hear their opinion.

I have a couple pens with this design, Parker 75 and Lamy CP1 and Studio come to mind.  Absolutely no problem on the Parker or the Studio.  I think the grip section is large enough to fit my fingers, so they're not resting on the 'step.'

The CP1, on the other hand, my thumb rests directly on the step.  Not a huge deal and I don't really take notice, but can become irritating after long writing periods.  If you have a death grip then I can see how it would be a big issue.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #2,456 of 2,804
  I have a couple pens with this design, Parker 75 and Lamy CP1 and Studio come to mind.  Absolutely no problem on the Parker or the Studio.  I think the grip section is large enough to fit my fingers, so they're not resting on the 'step.'

The CP1, on the other hand, my thumb rests directly on the step.  Not a huge deal and I don't really take notice, but can become irritating after long writing periods.  If you have a death grip then I can see how it would be a big issue.

Well, since you mention the Studio, I guess some of my pens do have a very tiny step, but as you say its hardly noticeable.  A lot of pens gently taper down that part, or have the cap threads there.

I'm of the opinion that if the step size is higher, the grip section needs to be much longer so that one's thumb doesn't rest on the step while writing. I've been considering placing an order for a custom pen, I guess I'll stay away from one with too deep a step.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,458 of 2,804
The Pilot Metropolitan has a bigger step above the grip section. For me it wasn't an issue, but I don't hold my pens too high.

Ah, the Metropolitan. Totally slipped my mind, and it's one of those regular rotation pens.
Maybe its not as uncomfortable as I imagined, atleast I don't remember it being as such.

Another aspect of holding is the pressure point. I used to hold the pen with the tripod grip but was using more pressure from the thumb...going through the writing lessons corrected that mistake, now I use the index finger for pressure variation, works well with flexy nibs.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,460 of 2,804
Ah, the Metropolitan. Totally slipped my mind, and it's one of those regular rotation pens.
Maybe its not as uncomfortable as I imagined, atleast I don't remember it being as such.

Another aspect of holding is the pressure point. I used to hold the pen with the tripod grip but was using more pressure from the thumb...going through the writing lessons corrected that mistake, now I use the index finger for pressure variation, works well with flexy nibs.

I think you are right about that the step needs to be in a good distance from the grip section. You just need to know how high do you normally hold your pens and you'll have an idea if it would bother you or not.
For me the first issue is aesthetics with most pens with a big step. The Metro is still a nice one though.

I mean, like these custom pens:
The proportions are just a bit off, and the step is not for making it more streamline or anything...I'm not really fond of these.
They can be comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back