Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Sep 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,351 of 2,804

Quote:
I understand that but I was just talking about aesthetics. I don't want two FP's that come from the same design family. XD
I have read that the Sailor Sapporo is about as smooth as it gets in that price. Any thoughts?

it gets more complex then that, out of the box, every brand has one or two clunkers (some more so than others) but yes, sailor is reportedly one of the best writers out of the box (i suggest looking into pilot and platinum as well) BUT if you buy from a nibmeister (richard binder or mike masayuma or john something of nibs.com, they should all write very well)

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,352 of 2,804
i honestly feel pelikan are the true fail safe workhorse. the problem is the 18k nib ones are not $150. i will say though that i'd rely on any of my pelikan's before my emperor's! even though the namiki is seemingly a less complex design(dropper fill the whole barrel). or any other fp for that matter. of course a bp until it dries out is maybe more reliable than any fp. i did not even know there were solid gold nibs for this price. that is really a bargain then considering the price of gold.

btw, noodlers and pr are boutique inks. i agree the basic blue is fine since it is more watered down. the highly concentrated inks are the culprit. they do look nice. speaking of namiki, iroshizuku is good stuff if i say so myself lol.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #1,353 of 2,804
i honestly feel pelikan are the true fail safe workhorse. the problem is the 18k nib ones are not $150. i will say though that i'd rely on any of my pelikan's before my emperor's! even though the namiki is seemingly a less complex design(dropper fill the whole barrel). or any other fp for that matter. of course a bp until it dries out is maybe more reliable than any fp. i did not even know there were solid gold nibs for this price. that is really a bargain then considering the price of gold.

btw, noodlers and pr are boutique inks. i agree the basic blue is fine since it is more watered down. the highly concentrated inks are the culprit. they do look nice. speaking of namiki, iroshizuku is good stuff if i say so myself lol.

the 18k model nibs are reserved for the m800 and above I think, you can find the m250 with a solid 14k nib for about $150

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,354 of 2,804
plus cities and places which i simply love. of course those are $450+ as well. at least new. i did not know the m250 had a solid 14k nib. if there is one for $150 that would be my recommendation. that seems like a lot of pen for the price. most things that price are cartridge/converter afaik. 18k is more flex but more expensive. plus takes more careful treatment.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,355 of 2,804
r00259192.jpg

Pink is in the mail, undecided whether to get the charcoal or the clear, not that I use my Safari's anymore, the Twsbi's I have are far superior. I do like the aquamarine though...

r0025926.jpg

r0025926.jpg

r00259292.jpg

Brendan

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,358 of 2,804
Yes.
biggrin.gif

Here are a few questions for you all since I'm already all-in. I have never owned nor written with a FP before. In my past, when I used to write more, I had people tell me my writing looked like it's own font. I'm back in college full-time again this semester and I'm curious to find something in the $50 range, give or take a little.

At first I thought I would prefer a hood to conceal the fact that I was using a FP, but I don't think I mind either way now. That is to say, I would still like a hooded FP, but that can wait. Also, I don't want anything wide. I don't know what medium does or looks like, but anything that can blotch, blur or bleed I absolutely hate. To keep from raising my blood pressure, I stay away from pens like this...

And much more prefer something like this... Because it does not bleed, blotch or blur and it is simple.

I don't know what other preferences would help, so I'll leave the rest to you all.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,360 of 2,804
I contacted His Nibs to see if they have any in stock. I've had my eye on that one for a little while and will just have to see where it takes me I guess.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,361 of 2,804
Wow, I had no idea this was here!

I love my fountain pens! Currently I have a Mont Blanc 149 medium nib. Montegrappa Historia limited edition (410/1000) medium nib but writes like a fine, Parker Duofold senior special with a lovely stub flex nib from 1927 and last but not least a 1967 Parker 51 broad nib

Here are some pictures.
Parker 51

Parker Duofold senior special

Mont Blanc 149

Montegrappa Historia. The finish is worth mentioning on this pen. All the metal is Sterling Silver, the nib 18K platinum plated and the body is celluloid that has ground up mother of pearl mixed in to give a lustrous finish, it really is a joy to write with as well as look at. It comes with a huge box and hardbound book telling the history of Montegrappa. The pen was made in 1999 one year before the Richemont group took over.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #1,362 of 2,804
Just tried using a Lamy Safari FP and found the experience much to my liking. But rather than starting out with the Lamy Safari, I tried my luck on eBay and gotten myself a Parker Facet and a Parker Duofold Striped Blue. Also gotten the Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black since all the other blue and black inks were all sold out locally...

Wonder if anyone who is a FPN member can help me out. Tried to register an account but was informed my email address was banned for no apparent reason. Emailed the admin three times but no reply at all
angry_face.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,363 of 2,804
My Parker Jotter is by far my favourite. It never stuff up and it's tank. I also have a Parker fountain pen (it's Frontier I think) and the ink usually dry up because I rarely use it. Don't know why but there are tons of parker pens lying around my house. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,364 of 2,804
Been lurking for 6 months now and a Pen thread gets me out of lurking status!

I'm just getting in to FPs, but have always had an appreciation for fine writing instruments.  I'll try to get some pictures of a couple more of my pens in the next few days, but had to post these because it just got delivered today and I'm thrilled!  This is a new Sheaffer Intensity RB in the jet black finish striped with chrome.  I know it's not a FP, but there has to be room in everyone's drawers for a good RB.  I have a Danitrio TC in the mail to me, so will post some pictures of that hopefully here soon.

Taking pictures of this pen was impossibly difficult because it's really reflective and the light is horrible today, but here you go.  They don't really do it justice, this pen is stunning!  If you have that sort of taste anyways.  I thought the chrome and black matched the piano well, sorry for taking some artistic liberties!

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,365 of 2,804
Been lurking for 6 months now and a Pen thread gets me out of lurking status!

I'm just getting in to FPs, but have always had an appreciation for fine writing instruments.  I'll try to get some pictures of a couple more of my pens in the next few days, but had to post these because it just got delivered today and I'm thrilled!  This is a new Sheaffer Intensity RB in the jet black finish striped with chrome.  I know it's not a FP, but there has to be room in everyone's drawers for a good RB.  I have a Danitrio TC in the mail to me, so will post some pictures of that hopefully here soon.

Taking pictures of this pen was impossibly difficult because it's really reflective and the light is horrible today, but here you go.  They don't really do it justice, this pen is stunning!  If you have that sort of taste anyways.  I thought the chrome and black matched the piano well, sorry for taking some artistic liberties!

beautiful photography and a beautiful looking pen. If my handwriting did not descend to that of a Chimp with St Vitus dance with anything other than a fountain pen I would be very tempted by that one! My collection needs a Shaffer, not sure how I have lasted this long without one!

Very much looking forward to seeing your Danitrio! Welcome by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back