Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Oct 31, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,187 of 2,804
ooh people who would know, i was probably going to get a Lamy Safari but somwhere it seemed to indicate Lamy pens use their omn cartridge size rather than the universal ones most fountain pens take.  is that true as im not having pens that dont all take the some size cartridges

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,191 of 2,804
Anybody have experience with the lamy studio?

Also, if I were to try a different ink, which is the best for a college student.  Meaning the ink should be rather quick drying, fast [no thick letters with a blob of ink], and easy to use.  I'm looking to spend no more than $80-100 on everything, pen, ink, converter, etc.

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,192 of 2,804

Quote:
Yes, Lamy uses their own cartridge style/size.

ta for confirming

Quote:
just grab a converter with it and use whatever ink you want.

no, its a pain and i use fountain pens like normal peoaple use ballpoints and there is no way im dealling with the faff.  a shame really

so any one know of any decent, cheap, extra fine tipped fountain pens?  nothing fancy and i want atleast a see through panel to see ink level

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,193 of 2,804

Quote:
Anybody have experience with the lamy studio?

Also, if I were to try a different ink, which is the best for a college student.  Meaning the ink should be rather quick drying, fast [no thick letters with a blob of ink], and easy to use.  I'm looking to spend no more than $80-100 on everything, pen, ink, converter, etc.

I have a black Studio.  It uses the same nib as the Safari so the writing experience as far as paper feel is the same.  The balance of the two pens is quite different as the Studio is so much heavier.  Also, my black Studio has a very highly polished section which gets quite slick with sweat/moisture from your hand so long writing sessions can be a bit difficult.

Honestly, stretch your budget by $15 and you have enough for a Lamy 2000 and a bottle of ink.  http://www.isellpens.com/lamy.html  I've said it a bunch of times, pens get prettier than a 2000 but they don't get any better.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,194 of 2,804

Quote:
ta for confirming

no, its a pain and i use fountain pens like normal peoaple use ballpoints and there is no way im dealling with the faff.  a shame really

so any one know of any decent, cheap, extra fine tipped fountain pens?  nothing fancy and i want atleast a see through panel to see ink level

It takes about 30 seconds to refill my converter and I do it about once a week. Not a terribly big faff.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,195 of 2,804
i'm in college and use my safari with converter everyday for notes(Visconti Blue for whoever was wondering about a good ink). i fill it once a week or so and it takes no time at all. it takes probably less time than if you were replacing the cartridge. if you are worried about running out of ink mid day then you can either carry a small vile for a refill or just a backup pen. the only thing that takes any time is if you want to change inks. that requires a bit more time to flush the old ink out of the pen but you would have to do that with a cartridge too somehow.

Quote:

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #1,196 of 2,804

Quote:
i'm in college and use my safari with converter everyday for notes(Visconti Blue for whoever was wondering about a good ink). i fill it once a week or so and it takes no time at all. it takes probably less time than if you were replacing the cartridge. if you are worried about running out of ink mid day then you can either carry a small vile for a refill or just a backup pen. the only thing that takes any time is if you want to change inks. that requires a bit more time to flush the old ink out of the pen but you would have to do that with a cartridge too somehow.

nope, i know round this place were all abit OCD about stuff once we get started and its an avenue im not going down, pen takes bog standard little cartridges or im not bothering, even if it means i cant get scented inks any more as i cant find them anywhere.

ooh oltough if someone know where you could get scented ink cartridges that would be cool, w h smith did them once but alas no more

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #1,197 of 2,804
I just got several Safaris in, I now have my lime green, red and black, one with fine nib and the tohers extra fine. I have some nice Diamine Kelly Green (Jade Green was too light IMO on white paper) in the green, some standard Lamy red cartridge, and I rotate between Noodler's bulletproof and Diamine Oynx Black. Paper is important too, I like my Rhodia pads.

Brendan

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #1,198 of 2,804
Hello everyone!
I've purchased a Lamy Safari "Fine nib" a week ago from eBay w/ a converter. Now I'm searching for some bottled ink...
I don't have the pen yet but I expect it to arrive early next week...
So here I've found some bottled ink but I just can't decide...
I've found the following brands:
Platinum, Sailor, Pilot, Herbin, Diamine, Parker Quink, and Pelikan 4001
http://translate.google.hu/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=hu&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=hu&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbolthely.hu%2Ftollakboltja%2Flista%2F4b61bc5f18fx6_Tintak&act=url

My problem is that I don't know anything about inks... I'm gonna use the Safari mainly for sketching/drawing and maybe - if it will be that good - for writing as well (but I might get an XF Safari for that).
It'd be good if the ink could be diluted with water...

I hope you can help
rolleyes.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,199 of 2,804
What kind of paper do you guys use?  I HATE using paper that is prone to feathering so i mostly buy black n red notebooks (plus the 24 lb stock is nice) but the pages are like coated or something so fountain ink tends to dry slow in my experience, though it''s only been with cheap pens like the pilot petit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back