Pelt Me: I know what G.A.S. is, but you guys are insane!
Sep 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tripp2k

New Head-Fier
Discuss.

Yes, I have an addictive personality but mainly with fine electric guitars and booteek amps. (Edit: Noob fascinated with the GAS here).

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 14
not quite sure what sort of response you are after here...... generally it helps to pose a question of some sort

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 14
Interesting. Can you explain further?

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 14
he's probably on thegearpage.net

I owned $20-25,000 worth of guitar equipment at one time. I now own not a single guitar (sad, really).

Divided By 13 amps, Vinetto, Cunetto, Historic LPs, Landgraff pedals, Evidence Audio cables, etc etc.

I was forced to sell my guitar equipment after going through a prolonged financial slump. I'm afraid of getting back into guitar because I know what a money pit it can be and my tastes are so "refined" that I can't stand the thought of buying a guitar less than $1000.

Even a basic set up for me would start at around $5,000.
confused_face_2.gif

Another realm of G.A.S. is the ultralight backpacking community. I've got around $3,000 invested into hiking gear. (backpackinglight.com) It's a bunch of gearheads trying to get their packs (with all required equipment) lighter than one anothers. Total dick measuring contest :wink:

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 14
So your gear gets lighter by emptying your wallet?

EDIT: I really hope that the OP actually thinks that 'boutique' is spelled like that.

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 14
Exactly! The weight of the item has a direct correlation to the price (in most cases). Cuben fiber material is very expensive.
I have a $300 cuben tarp. I could buy normal tarp for $5-10 at wal-mart.. But not one that weighs 4oz
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
So your gear gets lighter by emptying your wallet?

EDIT: I really hope that the OP actually thinks that 'boutique' is spelled like that.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 14
What is this G.A.S. thing you talk about?

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 14
If you're looking for an excuse to spend too much and have too much gear, you've found the right place. Welcome!

(By the way, the really good stuff isn't in the portable forum.)

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
If you're looking for an excuse to spend too much and have too much gear, you've found the right place. Welcome!

(By the way, the really good stuff isn't in the portable forum.)

Thank you sir. Just trying to scratch the immediate itch first and then off to dabble on other excesses, e.g. that HF-2 discussion is quite intriguing
popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 14
G.A.S     Great american sound company.  Makers of one of the first high powered fully symmetric amplifiers.
Also made the thaedra preamp.  Good stuff for the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back