peers/superiors to the E-MU 0404?
Sep 30, 2008 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aphinity

100+ Head-Fier
hi all,

i'm using an apple powerbook g4 and looking for an external audio interface w/ a built in headphone amp. i'm running logic w/ a korg 49 midi controller - would like to have an interface to record additional instruments. i've got an emi 26 right now for the interface.

will probably be getting the dt 770s or 880s soon and would like to drive em through a good audio interface.

im looking in the $300ish> range.

i've read up on the e-mu 0404 and am impressed by the good value it offers. a bunch of people have stressed the shortcomings it has at driving headphones though. there have obviously been a bunch of threads regarding this but I thought I'd create my own to solicit fresh perspectives on the matter.

could you all recommend some similar interfaces to the 0404, w/ similar functions, and hopefully a better built-in headphone amp?

thanks!
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 18
Apogee Duet? Not less than $300 though. Drives headphones remarkably well, but not as well as a dedicated amp will.

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 18
homer_drool.gif

powertrio-systemtop_lg.jpg

ensemble_main.jpg

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 18
If you are willing to spend 2000 bucks on soundquality theres nothing better to get than the apogee ensemble. the duet is your next best option regarding sound quality. i wish i had a mac sigh...

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 18
yeah two grands not what i'd want to spend right now on a solution. still looking for an alternative in the $300ish range...

here's a link to the ensemble:
Apogee Electronics: Products: Ensemble

the duet looks pretty sweet to.

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 18
I started off looking for the E-MU 0404, but no one stocked it locally so I got talked into the Tascam US-144 instead. It seems to do most of the things the E-MU does and is $50 cheaper based on current prices. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it mentioned at all here, but I've been very happy with its performance as a USB DAC.

Unfortunately I'm just using it as a USB DAC and thus cannot comment on its headphone amp, but I'd at least consider it.

Tascam Link.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 18
DaMavs: The Tascam is not in the same SQ league as the 0404 or the apogee duet afaik

Aphinity: like i said, if you own a mac you would be stupid not to get the apogee duet if sound quality is your concern. Just use the search or Google to read the rave reviews about the Duet.

Since i do not like the price tag of apples or their inflexibilty regarding many areas i'll stay with my PC. I would format macos x right off the harddrive anyway and boot Linux. Then i could not use the Apogee Duet anymore, which relies on apples core audio drivers build into the kernel if i am not mistaken.

So I would have to look for other alternatives to the 0404. I simply could not buy the 0404 since it looks so bulky and is straightforward ugly.
I own the Alesis io2 for €130 and although the sound is good and clean I come from a RME PCI Card for €400
ksc75smile.gif
Therefore I know the Alesis is not the best money can buy (mid-highs are on the harsh side, and recording in audacity is aweful).

I went from Creative PCI -> External High End DAC (lotsa $$) -> RME Digi PCI -> Alesis io2 USB. I am gonna get a RME again or try the Echo Audiofire 2. I heard folks comparing Maudio to RME interfaces in another tread. The M Audio Drivers and Sound Quality are inferiour to RMEs Cards. They're not in the same league. I heard the M Audiophile at a friends house more than once and i am not too impressed.

Take a look at this veeery nice thread my friend:

Least reliable firewire interface? - Gearslutz.com

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 18
did some homework.

the Edirol FA-66 is in the mix:

41xmCI-3WYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

so is the Focusrite Saffire:

focusrite_saffire_angle.jpg

+ M-Audio ProFire 610 Firewire Audio Interface is purrty:

31I7cionD4L._SL500_AA250_.jpg

+TC Electronic Konnekt Live

tcele_konnektlivesmangle.jpg

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 18
other contenders:

TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6

51bi7qRZpjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

TC Electronic Konnekt 8

21wHqnM8deL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 18
what do you all think of usb vs. firewire computer audio interfaces though? think those pictured in the last two posts are all firewire...

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started off looking for the E-MU 0404, but no one stocked it locally so I got talked into the Tascam US-144 instead. It seems to do most of the things the E-MU does and is $50 cheaper based on current prices. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it mentioned at all here, but I've been very happy with its performance as a USB DAC.

Unfortunately I'm just using it as a USB DAC and thus cannot comment on its headphone amp, but I'd at least consider it.

Tascam Link.

the Tascam US-144 looks like a good value. thanks for the recommend DaMavs.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gattler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are willing to spend 2000 bucks on soundquality theres nothing better to get than the apogee ensemble. the duet is your next best option regarding sound quality. i wish i had a mac sigh...

The duet and the ensemble have the same converters...

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Please take a look at this thread i started here and you will see that TC Electronic is not a customers friend

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/tc...8d-24d-367847/

I was in my local music store and the Tascam and the Alesis were stapled on a stack with not much care. The Echo Audiofires, Focusrites and other expensive stuff where locked up behind glass up in the sky. I think in this game you get what you pay for, but i personally would stay away from Maudio. Did you have the time to look at the reference link i posted earlier where dozens of ppl talk about their driver issues with several devices. I found no better resource on the net which sums it up as good like that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back