Pedigreee’s Ultimate Ears UE-10PRO Review
Jun 13, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #91 of 98
It is generally accepted that wireless IEM's (not the in-ear phones) are a bit inferior to wired. I have been auditioning both types for the last month or so and have a middlle line wireless system, there is a definite improvement in quality to the hardwired type. I understand that Shure has recently re-introduced their top of the line 700 series that is purportedly incorporating better sound technology. The standard of the industry, now somewhat long in the tooth, Shure PSM 600, used a crystal derived frequency technology that was prefered by many over the newer units. Unfortunately, this system (wireless) only had two selectable frequencies per transmitter and with the gobbling up of UHF band frequencies, a traveling performer might be out of luck thus the arrival of more frequency agile units such as the Shure PSM 700,400 and from several other manufacturers such as Sennheiser, which get high marks from the industry for sound quality of their wireless quality. I think the quality is still high enough with the wireless units that one can tell the diffierence in response of various IEM phones.

Jun 13, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #92 of 98
just to let people know i have ordered my UE10pro
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #93 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I just re-read your review and have been listening the Jeff Buckley's "lover, you should have come over". I believe the recording is what's giving you the sibilance. I'm listening to the song (with hd650/zu and diamond PPA amp and em1212) and I'm almost getting sibilance but I switched my opamp to avoid this. But you can tell it could be a problem.

It could well be... listening with my SACD Pioneer 747-A (although the source it's a regular CD) solved part of the problem. E3s were clearly not displaying it, but it might well be because they were not revealing enough. Quote:

I was also getting sibilance until I changed the opamp. The ad8610/8620 are know for this and that can be the problem with the new xin super dual. I found his previous amps had sibilance as well.

This is why I'm waiting for people to buy the Superdual and read some reviews...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #94 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
It could well be... listening with my SACD Pioneer 747-A (although the source it's a regular CD) solved part of the problem. E3s were clearly not displaying it, but it might well be because they were not revealing enough.This is why I'm waiting for people to buy the Superdual and read some reviews...
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think the shure's do the at highs that well, at least that was the problem with the e5s. Without highs, there's no sibilance but there is also no great detail.

If you own any Bjork cds, you're sure to find sibilance especially on the Selmasongs album. Even with my current setup it's there but I can now listen to the songs all the way through. It was really bad before.

The only drawback of great headphones, besides the price, is they reveil all the flaws of the recording that may have been missed with less headphones.

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #95 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
If you own any Bjork cds, you're sure to find sibilance especially on the Selmasongs album. Even with my current setup it's there but I can now listen to the songs all the way through. It was really bad before.

I have Debut, Post and Vespertine (DVD-A edition). If you have specific songs to suggest, I would appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #96 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOT
lindrone, i think it's silly to say phones are bad or not worth it price only because they are connected to bad source. This is not phones problem...

Yes, they designed to be driven from LOW-OUTPUT devices, but no from LOW-QUALITY devices. All difference is covered in this phrase.

You completely missed my point. The point is, there's no way that wireless belt packs used by musicians on stage are as good quality as output of the amps that you keep on talking about (that whole "amp needs to be twice as expensive headphone crap).

Hence, for professional musicians to say, "Hey, I like UE more than so-and-so product" means that UE's earphones must be able to display a quantifiable quality difference even when being driven from relatively poor sound outputs. Which also means, if you can't hear a difference on the iPod, and you absolutely need a $2000 amp or a $3000 source (forget, $3000, even $300) to hear the difference between it and some other headphones, then it has not been designed well enough.

In fact, there's plenty of audible difference between my Sensa and any other headphone under $1000 that I've ever tried, and not to mention the extremely high quality sound even straight out of the iPod. I would expect UE to be the same way.

For you to go around and telling everyone you need that high end of equipment to be able to tell the difference from one headphone to another is ludicrous. Just as much as people who suggest you need $10,000 system before you can fully appreciate HD600/650 (insert other examples here).

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #97 of 98
I find it sad that dollar figures (or the EURO equivalents) must be some finite indicator of true audio performance. It is like saying a 3.6GHz processor must always be better and superior than another one rated at a lower speed and because it costs more money hence better performance. This is not so. This does not need to be so. Smart money will always be able to maximize performance per dollar no matter how big / small the budget and be content for a long time.

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #98 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
I have Debut, Post and Vespertine (DVD-A edition). If you have specific songs to suggest, I would appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

On Vespertine, just listen to some of the "S"s on songs like Hidden Place, Cocoone, and Crabcraft. They just seem stronger than any other albums in my collection. I don't have Post but I didn't notice this effect on Debut. It seems strongest on Selmasong but it's also there on Vespertine. Maybe the DVD-A edition fixes this.

Anyway, it doesn't really sound like the ue10s are at fault. I think I'll be getting a pair in August. I'll be sure to test this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back