Peace APO adjustment for HD600 sub-bass rolloff... is this sufficient?
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

codythelucario

Head-Fier
1000001536.png
1000001537.png

So basically I adjusted the settings according to what I have in the second picture, and I based off my first adjustments based on the difference between the output of the hd600 before eq and the Harman target. After adjusting I seem to be getting more bass which is good, but would this be a bad solution to the sub-bass rolloff on the hd600? I also forgot to adjust the quality slider so I will do that tomorrow to make it more refined

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 2
You can coax more bass out of a HD-600 to ~35 Hz. The fundamental resonance of the driver in the cup is around 70 Hz. They behave decently under that if not over pushed. Under 35 Hz what you get is a real drop in volume, and much worse the driver flops around like mad, and produces nothing good in the bass, and worse, since its flopping around so much, it increases the IM distortion above those frequencies all the way up above anyones hearing.

Also to get the best sound they are much more demanding of power then most people (or the specs) say. By adding your proposed bass levels, you'll potentially have issues with lack of dynamics or straining the amp.

The most one can do with a parametric is something like:

-1.4 db 140 Hz Q 1.8 - analog bell
+1.6 db 70 Hz Q 1.0 - low shelf
+2.4 db 50 Hz Q 1.0 - low shelf
-4.0 db 30 Hz Q 1.0 - low shelf

IF that doesn't do it, then I'd suggest adding another headphone to your stable, or avoiding heavy bass music.... sorry.

IMO, the popular CC copper ring delivers either less bass, or a lot more mid bass - and in either case adds output around 3.5k - which is 100% the wrong prescription for these headphones.

Are you into EDM? Nothing I listen too goes under 25 Hz, and little under 35 Hz. You might need to look into a planar - such as the very large HFM line - they can take a pile of EQ undr 50 Hz and more or less keep their powder dry. A stock HD-600 or even that CC copper ring modded cannot give you 25, 20, 10 Hz (sonically reasonable) - ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back