PDA Recommendations?
Nov 26, 2006 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
Well, considering our upcoming holiday, I've come to the conclusion that I need a PDA. Just wondering which ones people use, and how they like them. It must be able to support the latest Drug database (medical school...sigh), and have an intuitive calender. Other than that, I dont really need a whole lot.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 21
Hi, I used a Palm for the last couple of years of medical school, and have been using one while working as a doctor. I have found them to be very useful, first of all as a diary, and also for storing textbooks and notes on.

I'm currently using a Treo 650 phone/PDA which I bought secondhand, and find it to be very good. The battery life is excellent, the screen is nice and big, and it doesn't take up much space in your pocket. I would keep the UK drugs formulary (BNF) on it, and have used epocrates also. In addition, I have the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, medcalc and dxsaurus for medical things.

If you don't need the phone part, I previously had a T5, which was great, a pleasure to use. The latest version, the TX seems good also, and the new Treo 680 looks like a good PDA.

I found the built-in calendar to be very good, and I don't like diaries!
Andrew

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Another vote for the Treo. IMO if you're going to carry around a phone and a PDA, it might as well be one device. Works great as an organiser and you can view textbooks quite comfortably with the 320x320 screen. I don't have a drug fomulary on it because it's pretty expensive over here and they're on every ward anyway.

I'm currently using the Treo 650 which is getting a bit old and has some stability issues, but there are a few newer Treos that you should look at. Check out the 700p,700w and the 750v (if it's not exclusive to Vodafone anymore).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/index.php

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 21
Jules, you obviously haven't discovered iSilo and BNF for free - if you're on www.doctors.net.uk, browse the PDA forum for more information!
Andrew

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the Treo 650 which is getting a bit old and has some stability issues,[/url]

True, but most Treo 650 users that I come in contact with are running VERY old software on their Treo 650. Palm just recently (as in about 2 months ago) released software version 1.05A, which is one of many software updates available for the Treo 650. I recommend installing it if you plan on continuing to use your 650.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/

Personally I hate the PDAs (probably because I have to fix them for my job) but I understand the need for them. Figured I would just add my 2 cents about Palm's software updates...

Good luck! (to the OP)

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 21
I'd just like to add that I've had no stability issues with my Treo 650 (latest firmware) - I know my T5 had a few, but I think that was the software I was using - things like ScummVM and tcpmp would crash it regularly if I wasn't careful. I have not yet had to reset my Treo (hah! Famous last words....)

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by insanefred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jules, you obviously haven't discovered iSilo and BNF for free - if you're on www.doctors.net.uk, browse the PDA forum for more information!
Andrew

Quality stuff.. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but most Treo 650 users that I come in contact with are running VERY old software on their Treo 650. Palm just recently (as in about 2 months ago) released software version 1.05A, which is one of many software updates available for the Treo 650. I recommend installing it if you plan on continuing to use your 650.

I've got version 1.20 on my Treo. Actually I don't get crashes often. All of the core applications don't have stability issues and I only use a few third party applications. I can go weeks on end without a crash unless I install something new.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 21
Dang, that looks nice.

Forgot to say, I still have like a year left on my Cingular contract, so any PDA/phone recommendation has to support their network

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 21
It's been two years since I first bought my Treo 650. For the first time, I'm not upgrading/changing my phone/PDA when my contract expires this month.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 21
I had an old Palm V. Then I gave it away and got a Palm TX (€300), more of curiosity and the lust for new technology than for real need. When it got stolen I got an old stock Palm IIIx (€30), and I've come to the conclusion I don't actually need anything newer considering what I use it for (ebooks and notetaking).

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got version 1.20 on my Treo. Actually I don't get crashes often. All of the core applications don't have stability issues and I only use a few third party applications. I can go weeks on end without a crash unless I install something new.

Whoops, yeah the 1.05A i mentioned is for Verizon Wireless only, versions nubmers are seperate for the different carriers. sorry
biggrin.gif

In my job for w/PDA tech support, the most issues i've seen with a Treo crashing are A) old SW version or B) using third-party apps. It's really same as a PC, if you don't keep it up to date it crashes, and if you use an old version of a third-party app with stability issues, you might get crashes.

if i personally owned a PDA/treo i would do a hard reset regularly and check every month or so for new updates (to phone software/firmware, but also updates to the 3rd party apps you use most often), these things like to act up unless they are kept clean. really if you treat it like a PC since that's basically what it is. if all else fails visit Palm.com, their Support site is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back