PDA - Fi
Oct 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 22
The Touch Pro 2 looks awesome, I hope you like it! I'm still using my Cingular 8125 which I call the "brickphone":

cingular8125.jpg

And I'm using the latest WM6.5 which looks like this:

wm65.png

No need for touchflo since the underlying OS itself is very nice. Performance is still decent because I'm overclocking it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 22
Nice journey, Ed. Brings back memories. I've had my share of PDA and mobile OS experiences from Linux to Windows CE for over a decade so too many devices to name here. A few standout models that were ahead of their time include:

Handspring Visor - Springboard expansion, GSM connectivity
Compaq iPAQ H3650 - for its CF sleeve and peripheral expandability
Sony Clie PEG-UX50 - clamshell form factor, industrial design, high dpi
Tapwave Zodiac - PALM OS with a game platform focus
Dell Axim X50v / X51v (the king of PDAs) - 3.7" LCD with VGA resolution, integrated CF, SD expansion slots, Intel 2700G graphics coprocessor

Some PDA smartphones worth mentioning include:

Kyocera QCP 6035 - one of the first smartphones launched
RIM BlackBerry 7000 series - put RIM on the map, push e-mail, excellent battery life
Palm Treo 600 - integrated QWERTY keyboard with touchscreen
HTC Advantage 7500 - 5.0" LCD with VGA resolution, more of a MID
Apple iPhone - industrial design, expansive music, game, apps, platform ecosystem

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to WinMo 6.5 upgrade...

Just flashed a 6.5 ROM to my Touch Pro (ATT Fuze). It's a custom rom so all the bloatware is gone and already includes many of the apps I'd manually installed on the original OS. Also flashed the latest radio; now get a GPS lock in under 10 seconds.

Me likey the 6.5

ETA - Also appreciated the trip down memory lane; thanks for the pics. I was an early adopter of the Palm and owned virtually every version (sans the VII; used a modem sled and Omnisky for email) up to the T/X before going Win Mobile. Having G1 version graffiti on Cingular-branded HTC products was a complete surprise; still to this day use character strokes for 99% of character input.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 22
I bought a DELL X50V 4 years ago when they used to make them.
It's really handy for use as an in-car GPS and as a small wi-fi capable device.

Since then I haven't really gotten into any of the newer devices like the iphones and all that.
For use as a phone, a PDA to me is still too big to always be lugging around...

The reason for my being interested in PDA's in the first place was that I was fascinated by ultra portable mobile computers and now a days I think you can get x86/PC compatible devices that are as nearly as small as these PDA's, though I won't be replacing my PDA with one any time soon because I think they're still too expensive.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #22 of 22
Ah, nice reading.
My first real PDA was a Psion 3 (good software), later a Psion Sienna and then my great love the Palm Vx for about 5 years.
Then it was on to the windows mobile phones. Right now I'm using a HTC Pharos. Not the best or the latest, but nice, simple, no keyboard, GPS which can bevery useful every now and the.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back