PCI sound card for 2 channel listening with headphones?
Jun 9, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rickdanger

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 headphones and an older PC that only has PCI slots.

I've been searching for a soundcard sutiable for 2 channel listening that has a good quality DAC.

The Audiophile 2496 has been recommended but it only has line level out and I don't want an external headphone amp (already use an Icon on my main PC).

What other PCI soundcards should I look at that are suitable for connecting the HD555 headphones to without an amp (if I had a PCI-e slot I would get the new ASUS essense card)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

I think like most members here, you should take a look at the Asus sonar Essence ST. It takes 1 slot in PCI bus and provides almost the same great sound quality as the STX with the possibility to extend to multichannel sound system thanks to the baby board.

You can get more info here: ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview | test

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 14
The STX is a good choice if you dont mind an uneven presentation (tending towards the mids).
Overall though, the sound is much smoother than its closest commercial competitor (X-fi in regards to sales) for music listening.
Mids seem a bit blurry with teh stock opamp. I've not had the pleasure of rolling to a dry opamp (as I have been told you lose sparkle).
The only soundcards that have impressed me are as follows.
X-fi : user interface and features.
EMU 1212 (i think this is the name); sounded good.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 14
Ive really liked the sound of the emu1212m

its very detailed, maybe not as warm or fluid as some higher end dacs. But definanetly one of the most detailed you can get for PC sound cards. If you then run it through a tube amp to smooth it out, and some interconnects that darken the sound. It can come out very nice.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumbaa32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I think like most members here, you should take a look at the Asus sonar Essence ST. It takes 1 slot in PCI bus and provides almost the same great sound quality as the STX with the possibility to extend to multichannel sound system thanks to the baby board.

You can get more info here: ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview | test

Thanks! This card is exactly what I am looking for, I didn't know it had been announced.

Now I just have to wait for it to be released...

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! This card is exactly what I am looking for, I didn't know it had been announced.

Now I just have to wait for it to be released...

The ST is the PCI version of the STX. However, there were some last minute revisions to the card. Such as improved low jitter clocking cirucuit and a pin header. ASUS will be marketing the H6 DAC expansion board for conenction to the pin header on the ST providing full 7.1 surround for those interested.
That sneak peak came out awhile back but the card has been officially slated for release very soon.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 14
the HT Claro Halo is also an option, it's PCI and uses the same headphones amplifier as the STX plus the world acclaimed AK4396 DAC(w/ swappable op-amps too).

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 14
This unit has a very strong dedicated headphone output with very high quality DAC's. Not expensive! Drives my Sennheiser HD 580's effortlessly. High S/N ratio.

Bill

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 14
@A1095: but the headphones op-amps are soldered and cannot be swapped, and they're the worst kind you could find..JRC4580, plain cr**

@rickdanger: only available on newegg or straight from the manufacturer from what I've seen...they really don't care for sales apparently, they didn't even send a samples to any review sites
confused.gif

Auzentech published (bad) RMAA measurements for the Forte 7.1, but HT Omega didn't..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back