PCDP OPINION
Jun 10, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
This site has some great picture of the PowerCD where you can see the swing arm mechanism.

http://www1.kcn.ne.jp/~gx770/portaudio.html#PowerCD

It has also picture of the AZ-6829 at the top of the page

I bet those are expensive
very_evil_smiley.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about the swing arm mechanism?

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 23
I really dig the Panasonic SL CT820. Not many people on these forums appreciate Panasonic CD Players (even though I think overall they superceed sony in general cd player quality). But the problem is, Panasonic doesn't supply North America with much of its higher end portable audio products. I go to school with foreign exchange kids, and some of their panasonic toys are just orgasmic. Panas MD players are realllly nice too, but then again, Sony patentetd that technology in NA so Panasonic doesnt have the rights to sell Panasonic mds in US/Canada.

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vences5
very_evil_smiley.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but what's so special about the swing arm mechanism?

Its a lot quicker seeking / scanning than what todays 'standard' mechansims are because swing arm mechanisms 'float' rather than being fixed - although, that is an absolute no-no for portable...

I can't get enough of them... the only reason that they've stopped being made in the most part is due to cost... modern day alternatives are easier and cheaper to manufacter...

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PersianMafia
I really dig the Panasonic SL CT820. Not many people on these forums appreciate Panasonic CD Players (even though I think overall they superceed sony in general cd player quality). But the problem is, Panasonic doesn't supply North America with much of its higher end portable audio products. I go to school with foreign exchange kids, and some of their panasonic toys are just orgasmic. Panas MD players are realllly nice too, but then again, Sony patentetd that technology in NA so Panasonic doesnt have the rights to sell Panasonic mds in US/Canada.

I have 1991s Panasonic SL-S100,SL-S500,and they are truly wonderful players.But I can tell you that they look so cheap,cuase they're all covered by plastic skin.To compare with Sony's high-end players at the 1991~1992,they are
certainly losers for their poor looking.

Honestly speaking,the Panasonic players also have good specs and sound quailty.IMO,their sounds are much more direct and true than sony players.S500 provides a real enjoyment to classical and Rock listener.But I think their biggest disadvatange is not suitable for long periods of listening,especially for someone like me.I have heared someone's comment on Sony and Panasonic players,and the conclusion is anyone who loves sony,then Panasonics are out of his favors.Similary the same feelings occur to someone loves Panasonic.

At first,I don't really believe this comment.But right now,I have to say it's true on me.I haven't heared S500 for a periods of time,and I had given S100 to my sister long ago.I'm so in love with Sony D303 and D335.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vences5
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, not really. Usually the seller managed to damage it though, or lost some part of it
rolleyes.gif
I keep looking at the Apple PowerCD again and again, my problem being that I just cannot justify getting one although I'd love to have it. It would just sit there and get no use. You cannot even make it into a minisystem with a HK Soundsticks because of the design clash
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #22 of 23
I've got both Panasonic and Sony players... Panasonic used to make excellent portables, but they've slipped in the last few years. I doubt there's much profit left in CD players or cassette players.

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
help to cut down on noise (which is very noticable on the D-NE900).

Hi to all - my first post on Head Fi & glad to be here
biggrin.gif
. Just wondered what noise issues there may be with the D-NE900. Mine seems fine, apart from those little (inevitable?) squips and squeaks when reading sometimes.....haven't noticed anything nasty under or between the music, but maybe I need a de-wax?!...
eek.gif

None too keen initially on the EQ, but since I started using the line out with my new Total Airhead I don't use EQ anyway. And so far, for convenience, the Atrac3+ is a real boon on 'travel light' journeys. Love the alu top too -the fact that it reminds me of the Kirk Enterprise has nuffink to do with it, honest! Great little player, IMO, and an excellent replacement for my sadly dead Panasonic.

all the best (& thanks for a great & helpful forum, all!)
steviebee

stuff: all the above + E2cs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back